Favorite metal drummer?

people who think that george isn't creative annoys me. i normally don't take much notice of what people say (to each their own, etc), but talk like that is really disrespectful. the song at the start of his DVD is brilliant, so fun to play too..

I readily accept that many of my favorite metal drummers aren't creative. Listen to Brain Drill, for example. That stuff isn't exactly technical wizardry, but it's BLAZINGLY fast and heavy as all hell so I love it.

George, however, is easily amongst the most creative metal drummers.

yeah. lord marco is cool though. i found his dvd was alright for a brief watch, just to watch his finger technique. there is creativity in all types of music. there are creative players in all types of music.

Marco is intense, no doubt. He's a great case, though, of someone who isn't overly creative but is INCREDIBLY technically adept. There are videos of him blasting at 300bpm with no problems whatsoever. I do kinda want his DVD, too. And the guy that took over for him, he's no slouch either!

yeah faceless new drummer is pretty tight man. in fact faceless in general is really fun to play (especially stuff of akeldama such as leica, etc). yeah marcos dvd's alright man, its not like overly impressive, but he does give some general ideas about grind/core drumming. he is very tight though, which is probably the best thing about him!

if you're into faceless etc then check out sons of aurelius, they're dope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6xzOVAWpcs

oh man i didn't even know that had a new drummer. if i'm honest i don't really like it that much man. it's not something i'd listen to. i'll listen to necrophagist and stuff, but brain drill just doesn't do it for me for some reason.

i'm mainly playing stuff like this atm - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8sVXo82V3I
it's easy to play, but shannon lucas has awesome technique. his posture is always really good, especially during the double bass in the chorus.

Oh yeah, Lucas is pretty excellent.

And I understand about Brain Drill. They're kinda the apex of technical death, and if that whole genre of wankery doesn't do it for ya then BD is totally not going to be enjoyable for you. In fairness, though, that video doesn't do the song justice at ALL.

Listen to it here: myspace.com/braindrill

yeah i knew that the video wouldn't be what it actually sounds like on an album heh, i'll check it in a bit man, need to go rinse nocturnal. nice speaking to you! later.

blake richardson (between the buried and me)
matt greiner (august burns red)
justin foley (killswitch)
moe carlson (protest the hero)

that's a shame, you probably could have learn't alot from the genre and improved as a musician if you weren't as close minded. just like i have learn't alot from listening to pop music.

Pretty much my take on it Toddy, well said.

My metal days are resigned to the 80's.......I was a school boy metal-head in terms of listening to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest. Metallica, Slayer and Venom.....I know, I know.....a few of you younger guys are ROFL, but at the time....that was as hard as it got.

The point is I never actually played the genre, yet managed to take a heap of ideas away from the styles and creativity presented by the drummers of the bands I was listening to at the time (Burr, McBrain, Lombardo etc etc....hell people even thought Lars was a pioneer back then!!). Same applies today. The day we stop developing ideas and trying to learn (regardless of the genre), is the day we stagnate as musicians. After all, if the drummer is playing something we think is cool.......why not try to adapt and develop that idea to our own musical tastes?

Love your take on this. Listening to all styles of drumming will surely help you garnish a better feel and more elaborate ideas in your playing. No matter what your preferred style of music happens to be.

Last edited:
Daniel Liljekvist of Katatonia has always been one of my favourite metal drummers, he's an extraordinary under-rated drummer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhs-DSuUpYA

I saw Katatonia warming up for Porcupine Tree here in Oslo. I didn't really like them imo. Anyways: Tomas Haake, Bobby Jarzombek, Marco Minnemann(when he played for Necrophagist), Sebastian Lanser(of Panzerballett), Travis Orbin and Morgan Ågren(on Sol Niger within).

I saw Katatonia warming up for Porcupine Tree here in Oslo. I didn't really like them imo. Anyways: Tomas Haake, Bobby Jarzombek, Marco Minnemann(when he played for Necrophagist), Sebastian Lanser(of Panzerballett), Travis Orbin and Morgan Ågren(on Sol Niger within).

Katatonia are an extraordinary band, their style of rock is pretty unique to them, it doesn't fit gothic rock, it doesn't fit metal, they have a very unique sound and have kept it and refined it over the years.

Nice list there Thaard, some awesome names in there.

I would say Martin Lopez, Raymond Herrera, Tomas Haake, Chris Adler and Scott Travis are my favourites.

Daniel Liljekvist of Katatonia has always been one of my favourite metal drummers, he's an extraordinary under-rated drummer.

this

listen to the drumming in the song rusted
really awesome stuff
(cant see what you posted, youtube wont run for some reason)

Back