Ever take a piece of equipment you only play once during gig?

My cowbell gets a couple of plays on most evenings. The jam block less than that, often just for grins.

***edit*** I also have a pair of mallets for cymbal swells, which some nights might not ever happen, some nights might happen a few times. I just set them on the kick, under the toms, so I kinda forget about them. Been doing that for so long it's second nature. They just come out of the stick bag with the sticks I'm gonna use that night.
Same, mallets and jam block, the small blue one.

Think I'll take that one thing and play it all night next time. Like do all cowbell songs one night. You can't not move to a song with cowbell, you just can't, starts with a foot tap, then a hand, then floor stomp, chicken head, then side chicken head to full on jumping up and down... headbanging. Totally need an animation artist for these visions Watch a normal person turn gradually into a raging lunatic.

Same, mallets and jam block, the small blue one.
I have the small blue one in the gear box, i usually use the red one, lol. I gave up trying to mount both of them, for as little use they get and the added difficulty in squeezing all that stuff in place

I have the small blue one in the gear box, i usually use the red one, lol. I gave up trying to mount both of them, for as little use they get and the added difficulty in squeezing all that stuff in place
I use one mount for both cowbell and jam block. I just realized I am missing the mounted part and only have the rod that they mount on.
This is why I use the blue one. It is small enough to go on the same rod above the cowbell so it does not get in the way of the giant sized cowbell. I could strike either without one being in the way.

Last edited:
A gong.

small, portable vibes and marimbas.
I always wanted a gong, big as possible. Since the Early 80's. Whether I played it or not.

Kind of like having two bass drums, it is only really for appearance. (Or lack of the double pedal)
I think maybe since i did not do the double bass metal rhythms, my left bass drum really only got used for one extra strike here and there. I did not always use my full kit. or both bass drums. It made for good fast 16th note fills though, since I never had a double pedal. TIL NOW!

I use one mount for both cowbell and jam block. I just realized I am missing the mounted part and only have the rod that they mount on.
This is why I use the blue one. It is small enough to go on the same rod above the cowbell so it does not get in the way of the giant sized cowbell. I could strike either without one being in the way.
That's how I mount the red jam block that I use, same pole as the cowbell. Putting two jam blocks on that same pole along with the cowbell won't work in my configuration.

I have to remove the red jam block to put my mounted half tambourine on, for the one song that I use it on. Haven't sorted out a good simple way to have all three mounted at the same time. The need isn't very great, so I have little incentive to search for a better answer. Maybe I might whack away at the tambourine some more if it were in place all the time, I suppose.

It does happen, especially for theater or musical pit performances. I usually have an array of percussion that gets played on a certain song and never again. My electronic pad module is often switched up from song to song, meaning many of those "instruments" are only played for one song.

One Christmas concert that I've played in for the last several years has featured two single-use bits of percussion. One year I turned my Stage Custom bass drum into a single-headed gong drum and the bass player and I both played it during a drum break. The next year, I had my Tama Superstar Classic stock snare drum tuned super low with a BFSD on it to get a thumpy SNOM/field snare sound for "The Little Drummer Boy". One song only, each of them.

View attachment 144799
No photo description available.
Damn, that looks fun.

1) Cowbell. One song just called for it, so I brought it out.

2) In my early 2000s Industrial band, every song sounded better with hi-hats, so I took my ride down. Then after a while, the singer/songwriter specifically asked for a ride cymbal in the chorus of one song. So yup, I brought the ride to every gig for one song.

3) In another band, the singer asked me to "hit more stuff" in the groove of a song. But also keep the dance feel. So I added a left-side floor tom (ala Larry Mullen Jr) that was part of the groove. Trying to play it with right-side floor tom didn't feel right, so yes, I carried an extra floor tom for one song.

If the main songwriter wants/hears and extra sound for a song, then yup, I bring it.

Back