Ever see a 'big time' drummer before they were famous? Tell us about it!

Only famous drummer I met, and got to know a little bit, was Jeff Plate from Trans-Siberian Orchestra(East).
Back then, he was the drummer in the band Wicked Witch (in the late 80's-90, they were good- but never got a record deal), and they rehearsed in the next room over.
After Wicked Witch, he later went on to be the drummer for Savatage.

Good Guy- very down to earth.

Dave Dicenso was also around the scene back then(he's an associate professor at Berklee in Boston now - Jeff took lessons from him back then, and has said he learned more from Dave than anyone), and he's played for numerous artists over the years(Duran Duran,Farrenheit,Steve Morse, etc...)....never got to know him at all, just a quick hello.

Here's a clip of that guy Dave Dicenso I mentioned above....he's a BEAST.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_81IomgGEY&feature=youtu.be&t=3m

Years ago, I saw Sully Erna playing with a band called Stripmind. This would have been '94 or so, before he got famous. It was at a long gone rock club in San Antonio called Sneakers.

I had no idea then that he would go on and be such a huge deal. I just thought he played really solid. And also, that girl I met from across town sure was hot....

I don't know if I actually met Sully or not. I shot a game of pool with the bass player though.

Aaah, Sneakers. That was a fun place. I saw several bands there, but none of them achieved anything other than local fame. I'm sure there were musicians who have since gone on to do great things, though.

He was already famous at the time, but I did see Tommy Aldridge at Kirk Scott's Drum City early in the day before a Whitesnake show once.

Used to go to keg parties in Pasadena in the mid 70s and see Van Halen play on peoples patios until cops would show up....

I saw them at the Peppermint Beach Club in Va. Beach in the early 90's. Shannon was a monster even then. His double bass work on the song "no deposit, no return" is the still the standard I use for metal drumming. I actually went to a godsmack concert just to watch him play. I always list him as one of my main influences and people rarely know who the hell I am talking about.
And I saw him with Wrathchild at the battle of the bands in Baltimore at The Rabbit's Foot in 1983!!!! He had doublebass kit with one side black and the other white. And his hair was long, with one side white and the other black, on opposite sides with the kit colors. Awesome!!!! They were a cover band and played Metal Health (Bang Your Head)----and they won.

Used to go to keg parties in Pasadena in the mid 70s and see Van Halen play on peoples patios until cops would show up....

WOW!!!!!!!!!! Thats Epic. I just love those guys, I would love to hear any tid bits that you can remember about those times. Alex is my favorite rock drummer! What was Diamond Dave like back when he was playing the backyard partys? What was Alex's drumming like back then? Did he have his signiture snare sound developed that early on?

Back