DW Performance Series

DW recently posted this video with Tony Royster Jr playing a Performance Series kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCZ_TLNchvM

Wow, in my opinion those sound awful. I'd not have posted those if I were DW.

That being said, I saw a kit in GC and it sounded good in spite of the tuning. As expected, a kit in GC was very poorly tuned.

While I think these are a good buy if you NEED to get a DW, I don't think they top comparable offerings by Tama, Yamaha, or Mapex in terms of quality. I can't comment on Pearl's offerings as I don't know the line very well.

Wow, in my opinion those sound awful. I'd not have posted those if I were DW.

Everybody has a different opinion on how drums should sound. To you they may sound awful, to somebody else, not so.

Certainly the video seemed to be going for a fairly "neutral" sound. They could have easily processed the channels with lots of EQ, comps, gates, transient designers, reverb etc if they wanted a big rock sound or whatever.

They are also using stock heads which are pretty open sounding, with no muffling.

Sounds to me like they applied very little processing, and that was an intentional choice on their part.

FWIW, I have one of these kits on the way.

Having seen them in person and played them, I believe they are a great set of drums, especially for the money. If I needed another gig kit, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase them.

Dennis

Back