Drumming without a drumkit!

This is a must have for apartment dwellers everywhere. Not to mention, a portable version for waiting at the DMV.

You have to keep us updated.

Is this going to be a computer program or a game for a console?
I guess alot of people would like to play some drums on their laptop once in while :D
But well. Seems cool. Would definitely destroy "Guitar Hero"
Maybe you can even develop a whole set of instruments played this way... xD

It's a very similar system to Sony's 'Move' controller, but it's refined. I said it earlier, but I think this is really, really great.

Elliott Smith! I swear I was just listening to the "Figure 8" album minutes before viewing this thread earlier today...

But yes, that is amazing...I don't even know what to say.

That looks so good!

It won't be long till all you need to take to a gig is those two sticks rather then a whole kit!
For once the drummer will be the one set up first.

Can you imagin. Walk into a gig and just start playing!

Thanks for all the encouraging comments. At the moment this is just a hobby project so I don't know yet what will come of it. I definitely see a lot of potential here though, especially for the portable version I'm working on now. With a laptop and some small extras you will be able to setup and jam anywhere or play in the middle of the night without making a sound.

I'll post back here when I have another video up, hopefully in a few weeks.

Richard

News about the "Drumming without a drumkit!" project

Hello there, this is Yann, you can see my reflection in the video badrich posted in the first post.

I didn't just mess up the photography, I helped with the motion capture and the hit detection logic.

I'm reviving this ancient topic because we did follow up on this project. We're about to launch the result at NAMM later in the month.
Here's a video of it: www.aerodrums.com , we are calling it Aerodrums.

I am hoping you will skewer us with questions and objections about the mere feasibility of air-drumming, so we can answer them.
I'm only a Sunday RockBand drummer (so far) but Richard (badrich) will correct me if I say silly things.

I just found out about this and all I can say is W-O-W!!!!!!

Take my money please!!!

Unfortunately I won't be going to NAMM but expect an order from me once it launches.
Excuse me if it's a stupid question, but is it only the software or are those some sort of special sticks?? Will it be available to Canada??

Great job guys, congrats

wow. I want this just for notation! Is a nice tight double stroke roll a limitation at this point? Seems like it would be since we rely on the rebound. Amazing stuff though.

So you came to the forum, took on board the comments, & came back with something that's both innovative & affordable. Absolutely fantastic.

And manufacturers / innovators shouldn't interact with the forum for fear of being accused of marketing? Well, judge for yourselves. This product is both fun & practical, & we had a small hand in shaping it. Enriches the forum IMHO, & this is exactly why I took my decision a few weeks ago. Sorry to soapbox on the back of your thread Yann. Yann contacted me to see if his post would be perceived as marketing. I advised going for it. Glad I did!

Yann, I wish you every success with this fabulous product, although I'm not sure you'll need it. This is a winner - no doubt :)

I'd forgotten about this. So glad to see it evolve to a point where you're finally ready to take it to the masses. Will be very interested to follow the reactions.

And manufacturers / innovators shouldn't interact with the forum for fear of being accused of marketing?

Yep. Doesn't it make a total mockery of such short sighted stupidity? Imagine missing out on this.....and a hell of a lot of other things.....because one poor misguided soul decided he wanted to rock the boat.

Hey everyone, it's been 3 years but I'm back! Thanks for all the encouraging words.

@drummer-russ:

If notation editing is your thing, definitely try out our editor 'Aered' which will be available for download on Friday. It was designed for drummers and only for drummers.

Regarding your Aerodrums question, yes, you can definitely do very clean and very fast double-stroke rolls (buzz rolls are trickier :). I measured myself and can achieve about 14 or 15 hits per second. Aerodrums has no problem keeping up.

I'm glad you asked about rebound. We will post a video in the next week to debunk some of these concerns, including a demonstration of double-stroke rolls.

The basic idea though is that you can get rebound by relying on the butt of the stick impacting the bottom of your palm on each stroke. It really is remarkable how much it feels like you're hitting an actual drum when you use this technique.

We'll definitely post back here to let you know when the next video is up.

Thank you, it's great to know we're not the only ones to be excited about it.

MPortnoy, there's a 3 gram reflective ball at the end of each stick, so I guess you can say they are special:) (but not so much that they alter the ergonomy of the drumstick) There is a handful of other hardware parts, we'll post a picture of the box and components soon.

Our first batch is split between a US warehouse, a UK warehouse and some review copies.
We signed up for Amazon's global export program, but unfortunately if they don't let us fiddle with the product classification, it won't be eligible to ship to Canada.

If that fails we definitely plan to ship some of the next batch to Canada.

Also, if journalists don't steal all our review copies we can set one aside for you (hard to tell how big of an if that is yet though).

Unbelievable, cutting edge and game changing.

Perhaps investment worthy for someone wealthy.
Can you spell S-H-A-R-K T-A-N-K???

Also, if journalists don't steal all our review copies we can set one aside for you (hard to tell how big of an if that is yet though).

Thanks a lot, I'll keep my fingers crossed!! ;)

But even if I'm not lucky enough, I'll keep track for when it's available to Canada. I'm especially interested in the "automatic notation while playing" feature. I think I'll be very helpful for transcribing the drums for my band.

Is it possible to switch the left foot between hi hat and double bass??

Again, great job

Back