Drum finishes - a natural debate

Bo - your wife, student or neighbour? lol . Such a beautiful kit, its in super shape.

That's friend Courtney who was over for a photo shoot the other day. I had another room set-up for the shoot and she wanted a shot at the drums. We were kinda' bummed because she didn't bring any leather outfits!

The set lit up nicely - all I did was take one light in there and point it at the ceiling, so it's kind of a "faux natural" light bouncing off the white ceiling. In certain lights the kit goes from light woody to dark yellow. My wife calls them yellow - go figure.

I guess the only story on Tama is it started as Star, named for one of the original owners wife? Kind a lingering and unoriginal hangover from that is all their different kits are named.. "....stars"

Actually, "Hoshino" (family name) translates to "star field" which is why all of their drums have Star in the title. The original guy started "Hoshino Shoten" as a bookstore in 1908, which eventually started importing guitars from Salvador from a guy named Ibanez e Hijos. They opened the Tama factory some time in 1962 which evolved into the Tama brand today, owned by Hoshino Gakki who also own Ibanez. Source

Anyways, Blake Richardson (metal player) uses a natural wood Starclassic Bubinga kit (I think the finish is discontinued). He seems to be an exception, though.

For boutique builders like us, the object isn't to see how many sales we can make. The object is to make drums that fit our standards, not only in terms of quality but also in terms of appearance.

To be honest, most of our clients choose their drums because of the way they sound and play. And I believe that if you're going to have a fine musical instrument, it should look like a fine musical instrument. But that's just my approach, and I have the luxury of keeping our drums within those parameters. Obviously, if you look at guitars, the world is big enough to accommodate both style and glamor. There's plenty of demand for both -- beautiful wood finishes and flashy stage looks. The same holds true for drums. If you want flash, there are lots of custom builders who will accommodate you.

Imagine a finish where you plug your drums in and turn a dial to adjust the finish color. I have no idea how that could be done, but with today's electronics and technology, I'm sure someone could figure it out.

Imagine a finish where you plug your drums in and turn a dial to adjust the finish color. I have no idea how that could be done, but with today's electronics and technology, I'm sure someone could figure it out.
Chequerplate drums do these cool looking acrylic sets with LED acrylic lugs. I don't think the standard pieces change colour, but I can't imagine it to be a huge challenge as a next stage. I've played them, & they sound quite good too :)

Attachments

• chequerplate19_o.jpg
    chequerplate19_o.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 679
Those look awesome.

I have to think that a finish that can be adjusted with a knob is a possibility. Just a matter of cost and practicality.

You could make a wrap finish out of mood ring material. Remember mood rings?

Andy, the light beams in that pic seem to defy the laws of physics.

Somehow, this looks so sad...

Attachments

• chequerplate19_o.jpg
    chequerplate19_o.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 1,768
I love the look of natural woods. However I think the lighter ones just dont have the punch or pizazz that the darker ones do. Or a light wood with a light stain is the best of both worlds. Love to see the wood grain but with a little color. In my case where my audience is the same every night, me, I would not object to a Guru, Gretsch, or other smaller badged brand in the light color.

Someone is going to have to explain the Mapex Saturn joke. I really don't understand!

Davo
I think the Saturn has become regarded as a "super kit" that is capable of almost anything, including solving the most complexed problems known to man ;) It's just a humorous extension of Glen's promotion.

Somehow, this looks so sad...
Eagle eyes there Eric (BTW, something leaving out for you today ;)

I would not object to a Guru, Gretsch, or other smaller badged brand in the light color.
Precariously close to a mod' badge size preference statement there Grunt. Playing with fire mate ;) ;) ;)

Eagle eyes there Eric (BTW, something leaving out for you today ;)

Nature of the beast...and that's great!

As I don't want to mess up this thread: I guess I favor the natural wood look. Not to put down any metal or wrapped drums, but glossy or satin, fade or straight paint: somehow wood and drums are like brother and sister.

Someone is going to have to explain the Mapex Saturn joke. I really don't understand!

Davo

It's not so much about Mapex drums than it was the person continually promoting them. Talking about something, promoting or just cramming down ones throat does get a bit stale after a while. Rest in peace Glen.

Dennis

Davo

All I can say is....you really had to be there.Use the search function for Mapex Saturns and read Sticks for Drums post.

He was banned multiple times and that's all I'll say about it.You have to read the posts to truely understand.

Steve B

I can explain the Saturn joke, if you can imagine these responses coming from Sticks4Drums:

Example #1
O.P. - I'm trying to decide between a Gretsch Renown and a Ludwig Classic Maple. I want a really vintage vibe from an American brand name. What can you guys tell me about these two brands? Any real advantages in choosing one over the other?

Sticks4Drums - Mapex Saturn!! It's the best, and blows the other two away.

Example #2
O.P. - I have a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute jazz kit, and I want to know what kind of heads you'd recommend to get a really high, clear tone from these drums, like a bebop sound. Ideas?

Sticks4Drums - You should sell that piece of crap Yamaha and get yourself a Saturn. My 22X20 bass drums can tune up as high as any 18 and sound great. And I have 72 toms, so I can tune them any way I like. Just listen to my video on YouTube and you'll never buy a kit that isn't a Saturn!

Example #3
O.P. - I'm looking for a lighter stick for those intimate jazz gigs. What is your favorite light stick?

Sticks4Drums - If you had Mapex Saturns, you wouldn't even need to worry about what stick you used. They are so sensitive and responsive that you can use a 2B and make it sound like a brush.

Example #4
O.P. - My car just died and I'm looking for something with decent mileage, but I need to be able to fit my 5 piece kit with 16X24 bass drum in it. Any experience on roomy, economical cars for the working drummer?

Sticks4Drums - If you had a Mapex Saturn kit, it would fit in any car. Door size doesn't matter.

Example #5
O.P. - My girlfriend left me for the bass player in our band. It's really uncomfortable to be in the band with him now, but I don't want to give up this gig. Any advice?

Sticks4Drums - If only you had a set of Saturns...

Getting the idea now?

Back