Do you use a cowbell?

I have an LP Tito Puenté cowbell that sounds amazing. Really low-pitched with tons of character. When I want to go as funky as possible for a drum break, it usually involves throwing a Latin inspired clavé over top a funky beat. I use it way more for Latin funk than for quarter notes.

+1 on Larry's observations. In my experience chicks shake their rumps when funky cowbell beats make an appearance. I'm not claiming to have gotten any tail as a result, but I have noticed women on the dance floor take notice, look over, and proceed to get down.

I have one, and have used it when called for.

But it's spend more time on the shelf than on my kit over the last 28 years.

I changed my tune a while back, and picked up a fairly small LP cowbell. I mounted it on one of those Gibraltar pedal mounts, and have it to the left of my hi-hat. Iron Cobra Rolling Glide runs the show!

I don't use it terribly often, but it can be a lot of fun! Thinking of getting a ribbon crasher, or some other form of staccato-like implement and experimenting with that as well.

Yes of course! I have 2 LP cowbells, a standard one and a high pitched one.

I typically don't use it, but if I pick up some latin gigs, or some New Orleans/Second Line type gigs, I'll use one. Also, a bunch of cabaret and burlesque gigs that I've gotten require things like cow bell for corny sound effects.

They are a great accessory to sprinkle in, but they go from pleasantly accenting a song to becoming hokey and awful in a split second.

I think the worst part of playing a cowbell is that at least one person in the audience will start quoting that SNL skit... What Freebird is for guitarists/singer, that "more cowbell" crap is for drummers. It's gotten to the point where I hide the cowbell when setting up so no one starts with that nonsense!

I can't get enough cowbell since acquiring a JCR half moon bell. It generates such an awesome feel. Listeners often comment on how great my grooves sound when I use it. Can't ask for more than that!

It's not well known, but I'm pretty sure cowbells have been scientifically proven to produce a certain frequency that somehow excites the Grafenberg spot in women :)

As DW's resident sexologist, I'll vouch for you on that one Larry. ;-)

Back