Cymbal quick release hardware - best?

Also, Cardinal Percussion (formerly Universal Percussion) has reissued the old Zildjian "Cymbal Snaps". I like the look of these, but they have a few minor disadvantages compared to Camber T-Tops:

1. You can lose the felt in transit (you can on the T-Tops too, but not as often)

2. The middle "T" part moves (rotates around on a rivet hinge aka "snap" up or down), so it can rattle at times, but unless you're doing a quiet cymbal roll with mallets you'll never hear the rattle. By the way, the middle "T" part just simply rotates, there is no "snapping" into place. Sometimes the vibration of the cymbal will cause it to rotate in to the "down" position, meaning your cymbal could potentially fly off the stand.

3. Because of the "T" needing to rotate into the "down" position, the threads are not cut as deep on these, so if you have more threading exposed, these will "bottom out" on you before they reach the top of your sleeve. You could always use a longer sleeve, or add washers at the bottom underneath the sleeve to expose less threading.

Like I said, these are minor issues, but you should be aware of them. The one advantage is that these are available in three different threading sizes (1/4", 6mm & 8mm) to fit virtually every cymbal stand ever made. They also look cool and old school," Buddy Rich" style.

The one thing I would caution against about the Tama Cymbal Mates or any "push button" type nut is they need a decent amount of threading exposed in order to "grip" the threads properly (opposite problem of the Cymbal Snaps). I've had (and seen) those Tama Cymbal Mates fly off on impact because they didn't have enough threading to "grip".

Attachments

• CPCS.jpg
    CPCS.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Tama all the way around. Years and years of gigs and no issues with a single one. It's the speed of removal that won me over. It's the simplicity & durability that keeps them on the stand. I use felts top and bottom and they pack up and travel ready to mount the cymbal.
hUW83M0.jpg

I use the Tama Quick Mates on my more recently purchased cymbal stands. However, I have many older stands (1980's vintage) which have 6mm threads as opposed to contemporary 8mm threads. Unfortunately, the Tama Quick Mates are not available for 6mm threads. I don't know of any other quick releases that work with 6mm.

I use the Tama Quick Mates on my more recently purchased cymbal stands. However, I have many older stands (1980's vintage) which have 6mm threads as opposed to contemporary 8mm threads. Unfortunately, the Tama Quick Mates are not available for 6mm threads. I don't know of any other quick releases that work with 6mm.
I remember having that issue with my old Tama Titan boom stands...one of the final things that pushed me to finally replace them. (And I ended up replacing them with MUCH lighter boom stands so it was a win all around, tho I miss those old classic stands)

I've had these for about six years and they're still going strong:

I like & use the Tama quick-set cymbal mate, but they don't have felt built in.

pen_QC8_00_01.png
I use a set of these as well.

I also have something called "Cymbal Clips" (I think) that are simple metal clips that snap onto the stand.

I use them mostly the keep the felts from falling off the cymbal stands when in transit. They obviously keep the cymbal from popping off the stand too, but I have never had that issue. I HAVE almost dropped a cymbal when adjusting the tilt angle though. They probably saved a cymbal in that instance. I also never use a top felt..I've never seen the need for one.

I've had these for about six years and they're still going strong:

I have a pack of those cymbal crowns and they work well *except* sometimes it’s a pain in the butt to remove the cymbal at the end of the gig. Especially if it’s a thin, flexy cymbal. I ended up cutting off the bumps on top.

Back