Cymbal quick release hardware - best?

Getting back playing and it's been so long that this is a new invention as far as I'm concerned.

Which one is best, I want one that contains the felt in/on it however that works. The one I used splits on both sides of the post and looks like normal plastic twisty things but it snaps on and off and has the felt built in. I think that's the one I want (the only I've seen) but I can't find it.

Recommendations? Thanks

I like & use the Tama quick-set cymbal mate, but they don't have felt built in.

pen_QC8_00_01.png

I used to use Slicknuts (later bought by Vater, re-named and I think discontinued) and those had the felt attached. Quick button-push for on/off.

But for several years I've been using toppers/T-tops with great success, even on tour. No top felt, unless you want to put one on after attaching the cymbal. The beauty is, there's no detachable piece/s to manage, drop, or lose while you attach the cymbal. It looks fragile, but I've never had one snap, not even on my touring stands.

_drum_topper.jpg

I use the Cymbal Chief and Grombal set up. The cymbal slides on and stays secure. You don't actually need to use a top wing nut, but I choose to use the TAMA plastic Cymbal Mates for a little added insurance. You'll get more natural cymbal tone from this system than using traditional sleeves, washers and felts. The cymbal is free to move and is protected from key holing.

I used to use Slicknuts (later bought by Vater, re-named and I think discontinued) and those had the felt attached. Quick button-push for on/off.

But for several years I've been using toppers/T-tops with great success, even on tour. No top felt, unless you want to put one on after attaching the cymbal. The beauty is, there's no detachable piece/s to manage, drop, or lose while you attach the cymbal. It looks fragile, but I've never had one snap, not even on my touring stands.

View attachment 145712
I'll check into those, thanks.

I use the Cymbal Chief and Grombal set up. The cymbal slides on and stays secure. You don't actually need to use a top wing nut, but I choose to use the TAMA plastic Cymbal Mates for a little added insurance. You'll get more natural cymbal tone from this system than using traditional sleeves, washers and felts. The cymbal is free to move and is protected from key holing.

I think this combination will make for more work for me, I play out with a Yamaha HipGig and pack and unpack all hardware in the throne and it looks like the parts that connect to the stand comes off. I do like the idea of the permanent thing on the cymbal though.

+1 for Tama Quick Mate. I have three that live in my stick bag in case of gigs with less-than-ideal cymbal stands. And yes, I use them with different-thickness felts depending on the job at hand. They actually hold tight to the post, unlike the DW quick release nuts I bought. (Terrible!)

I'm actually typing from Peru, where those Quick Mates have been extremely useful on this tour. Backline kits definitely aren't set up for my splashes on top haha

I stopped using any kind of wingy-nut things years ago. I guess I don't hit cymbals hard enough for them to bounce off the stands!
I am the same no cymbal wing nut fiddling and don’t miss them one bit, never had a cymbal come off the stand in 10 years. However, I do use them on my ride if the set list requires a lot of intense playing. So I guess I am split. 21411863-CBF6-4157-A76E-B8A78B0632B1.jpeg

Yes, ^^ this ^^ a thousand times over. I have used them for 15 years without issues. I don't use anything on the tops and love that there is No wingnut or felt to loose. Makes for a very efficient set-up.

I like & use the Tama quick-set cymbal mate, but they don't have felt built in.

pen_QC8_00_01.png
I've been using these for years, love them. I leave a felt on the post, for the bottom of the cymbal, and I don't use a felt on the top. I leave them on the stand for storage when I take the cymbals off and pack the stands away. I'm gigging most weekends, so they get taken off and back on twice a night, most weekends of the year, for some time now. Works really well for me.

***edit***I don't use one of these for my china cymbal the way it flops around and such...I use an aquarian spring for that cymbal.

Last edited:
I am the same no cymbal wing nut fiddling and don’t miss them one bit, never had a cymbal come off the stand in 10 years. However, I do use them on my ride if the set list requires a lot of intense playing. So I guess I am split. View attachment 145717
I used to go without wing nuts until that one time when I was adjusting the tilt angle with the cymbal on the stand and loosened the tilt nut too much... 😱

I'm getting ready to buy some No Nuts. Pretty excited about it.

View attachment 145712

Second these. Have them & LOVE them. Nothing to remove & put back or unscrew & rescrew - just put the cymbal on the stand. Camber T-tops are no longer made and nearly impossible to find any remaining inventory. I got a few more by someone making aluminum ones on Reverb (https://reverb.com/item/61174328-pa...al-relase-in-6mm-and-8mm-bead-finish-aluminum) but apparently he's not doing it any longer. Not sure why this seller disappeared or if this design is patented but someone should find a way to keep making these.

Regarding Camber T-Tops, I think there was a member here who was making them? Anyway, if anyone is interested I have a bunch of Camber T-Tops, in both 6mm and 8mm sizes. I plan on taking the whole lot to the Chicago Drum Show next month (I am an exhibitor). Let know if you need any.

Back