Carmine Appice Lobbies For Led Zeppelin Drum Spot

Carmine just beating his chest.
Am proud of Robert Plant to say he will not be part of all this 'jukebox'. He's doing the most interesting and original post-Zeppelin stuff of all of them, even if he does do re-arranged Zep tunes live. I hope Page too comes up with something on his own.

Plant's Glastonbury set was exceptional this year. Admittedly, I was very drunk on gin that evening with a gorgeous ladyfriend (and thus in a good mood) but we watched it and were both very pleasantly surprised.

I follow Jason Bonham of Facebook and decided to message him. I don't know if it's actually him getting back to me here or if he has people that respond on his behalf. Check it out.

wow what an insult!

if LZ ever toured again and chose Jason over Carmine, it isn't because of "Privilege", its because of respect, respect they had for their former bandmate. and carmine just showed he had none with declarations like that. you never trash other musicians.

What Carmine said is just ridiculous. Remember watching the Black Dog cover thinking I could do better than that.

Clearly a fantastic drummer but his head has been stuck where the sun don't shine for too long. That's like saying Neil Peart should drum for Dream Theater because Portnoy used most of his licks...

that first video posted is just a sloppy arrangement in general. sketchy vocals, bad starts and stops, etc. seems like none of them rehearsed at all. i still think carmine would be a better fit. dude can groove and came from the era that invented it.

That band can play "Black Dog". The same guys do all those events. They also gig as a tribute band. That song is easy but a couple of spots can be tricky, if everyone isn't on the same page. Almost every band does that spot a little differently from the next. Carmine probably thought he could wing it but wasn't as familiar with the tune as he thought he was. Carmine wrecked that train because he wasn't prepared. It is certainly within his abilities,though.

The rest is just buddy Rich style hype and smack talk. He has always done it.

That band can play "Black Dog". The same guys do all those events. They also gig as a tribute band. That song is easy but a couple of spots can be tricky, if everyone isn't on the same page. Almost every band does that spot a little differently from the next. Carmine probably thought he could wing it but wasn't as familiar with the tune as he thought he was. Carmine wrecked that train because he wasn't prepared. It is certainly within his abilities,though.

The rest is just buddy Rich style hype and smack talk. He has always done it.

Notwithstanding his abilities, I just can't see how he can be so utterly uninterested as to not rehearse the song and just think he can wing it while it does not even remotely look like the original drum parts, as if he was at a jam night messing around while waiting for more interesting musicians to turn up, and at the same time claim Bonham's throne. I think it's........ unprofessional.

That band can play "Black Dog". The same guys do all those events. They also gig as a tribute band.

Indeed. Some of those guys are part of Jason Bonham's band too.

Sometimes the band has guests on other instruments outside of the drum chair that screw up the performance, but to say the band is too blame seems silly, given the band sounds great with Chad Smith, Ray Luzier, Glen Sobel, etc, sitting in.

However, veteran drummer Carmine Appice feels that he is a better fit for the role than somebody who shares Bonzo’s DNA.

This is hugely debatable and subjective...

Carmine will sound like Carmine

Jason sound like Jason

No one can sound and play like Bonzo.

This has happened in other bands too...

No one can sound and play like Moonie, although Kenny Jones, Simon Phillips and Zak Starkey did a fine job... they sounded like themselves, which is the right approach.

No one can sound and play like Jeff Porcaro, when Simon joined Toto he played like Simon, now is Keith Carlock's turn and I'm sure he'll play like himself.

I really enjoyed the LZ reunion gig and I think Jason did a brilliant job, but I didn't make a comparison battle between him and his dad, instead I just enjoyed the songs for what they are :)

So if the unlikely event that Carmine join LZ and tour around the world, he will simply sound like Carmine Appice... and that's neither good or bad, it probably won't happen anyway.

All I can say about all those top notch drummers screwing up all over the place at that gig is that it makes me feel better about myself!!!!!
And thank all of them for protools :)

We have a winner.

Also I nominate Dave Grohl. Him and JPJ are already tight from Them Crooked Vultures.

I think Abe would be a great option if LZ ever regrouped. He hits hard with finesse and that's the recipe that Bonzo created for the Zeppelin sound. He's definitely one of my favorite drummers.

I suspect the real reason Plant refuses to regroup is because his voice can't pull it off anymore. Not that I'm criticizing. Age takes it's toll. I respect his decision whatever the reasoning behind it.

I think this is just a case of Carmine tooting his own horn.

I suspect the real reason Plant refuses to regroup is because his voice can't pull it off anymore. Not that I'm criticizing. Age takes it's toll. I respect his decision whatever the reasoning behind it.

I think this is just a case of Carmine tooting his own horn.

I mean in all honesty his voice was barely there live by about 1976 haha.

I'd much rather see them all in different directions. Robert Plant has been making some cool stuff, as has JPJ.

I'd love to see Page get together with some guys for an extended period of time again.

I mean in all honesty his voice was barely there live by about 1976 haha.

I'd much rather see them all in different directions. Robert Plant has been making some cool stuff, as has JPJ.

I'd love to see Page get together with some guys for an extended period of time again.

I agree, I like Plant's solo stuff in its own right. JPJ with Them Crooked Vultures, too. I saw Jimmy Page on the Outrider tour and enjoyed it very much, I'd like to see him be creative again.

Page hasn't done much since the 80s. JPJ has by far the most prolific career of them, especially in the last 20 years (not just Them Crooked Vultures, but other classical projects). Plant has been doing pretty well in recent history as well.

But Page really needs to do something.

Page hasn't done much since the 80s. JPJ has by far the most prolific career of them, especially in the last 20 years (not just Them Crooked Vultures, but other classical projects). Plant has been doing pretty well in recent history as well.

But Page really needs to do something.

If I was him I'd sit back and count my money....

Back