Being too self-critical?

That's the key: state of mind. If there were legitimate issues with your parts, they would be apparent enough to also hear them on playback. Focus is important when playing, but analyzing everything you play as you're playing it leads to the kind of uncertainties you're having.

I know it's easy to just say relax, so I'll say it... RELAX! Be in the moment when you play, but try not to be the moment. Listen to the music as a whole, not just to your part on drums.

In the studio (where parts matter the most when committed to 'tape' for a mass audience) and live (where video/audio synch and bandmembers rely on me to keep everything tight), I often work with a click. I do this successfully because my state of mind is not about staying with the click, as much as about playing with the click as if it was another drummer next to me. That is, I focus more on the music as whole than on my parts alone. I'm not overly-occupied with every single hit lining up with the click... it would drive me nuts and be distracting. I'm under the gun for every show, yet I'm never nervous or over-analytical about my role in making music. I'm just playing, and so far in my 50+ year career, everyone seems to think I'm doing a good job. Am I complacent about that? You bet! I'm obviously doing something right. :)

So state of mind is really the key here. You know your parts are good because they sound good when listening objectively (ie; not from behind the kit while generating those parts.)

Just be more part of the music, play along with the band or the click or whatever, and ease up on yourself a little. You should be concerned with playing well, just not so much while you're actually doing it! 😮
Good stuff. I'll take it to heart and (try to) put it in to band rehearsal tomorrow :)

Good stuff. I'll take it to heart and (try to) put it in to band rehearsal tomorrow :)
First impression was - high quality everything.
Slowed a little towards the end - but if you hadn't invited scrutiny I might never have noticed.
I once read on DW "practice like you're the world's worst, play like you're the best".

They're fine, there are things you could do to refine it, but you sound fine, no gross errors or timing issues.
Thanks, I appreciate it!

When I played in my previous band a decade ago, the only feedback I got was that I was better than the previous dummer who kept dropping sticks. Well, that wasn't really an ego boost, was it?

First impression was - high quality everything.
Slowed a little towards the end - but if you hadn't invited scrutiny I might never have noticed.
I once read on DW "practice like you're the w/orld's worst, play like you're the best".
Well, can you put that into plain Dutch :p

Translating: if I didn't pointed you to my faults, you (probably) wouldn't have noticed, right.
Ah well, that's enough for a regular bar cover band, right - although I still keep aiming higher...:)

Thanks. Always see the forest, not the trees.

Brains? Plural? You lucky ******!! I've only got one, & THAT doesn't function correctly most of the time...;)
LOL! My English apparently takes a hit after waking up at 2 AM already.
I should have shifted the 's' to the next word :p

Last edited:
I had band rehearsal yesterday evening and used a BPM app to check the tempo.
Although I was tired (woke up at 2 AM), it turned out I was playing pretty steady, maybe 1 BPM too fast or slow during a song (which fits our genre, I think a lot of classic rock/pop recordings had much bigger tempo deviations).

So it confirms I should stop thinking too much while playing and just enjoy the music.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much. I'd say when you get into any musical instrument to get to the next level you have to be hard on yourself.

Everyone has an absolute howler in them so don't worry about the little mistakes at all. Some days we're just not on it. Can be a number of reasons.

Be kind to yourself. Watch facebook vids of local players of all instruments and you'll see how many mistakes they make. Very popular, and good players mess up a lot.

If you publicly say critical things about your playing, people believe you. Someone earlier somewhere said it's like rejecting their gift when they praise you and you run yourself down. I need to remember that.

How I play at jams isn't the way I play at paying gigs. How I played when paid to help host jams isn't how I play when just sitting in at jams after the hosting is done.

People are very slow to learn this approach, imo. It's 1 reason I like moving away from just drumming. It's not my job to sit on my thumbs while we're 'jamming' so that a singer and guitarist inflate their ego or use it to convince people they're really at their gig. We're all there to jam. Everybody.

I play for a hobby, recently joined a 'hobby band' again after a decade long break.
We play for fun/practice (almost) every week and have some gigs coming up and want to continue that.
That being said, my mindside always is to be the best you can be so you have to work on that.

yeah...I think you should NOT be afraid to critique yourself just b/c it is a "hobby" band. Like, if I wasn't critical of my biking hobby, it would be a waste of time and money, so why would I bother?

the key is to have the right kind of critique in the right moment. While playing, I think of it more as "monitoring" than critiquing. While reviewing after a performance, I call it critiquing...

monitoring is making sure the train is on the tracks
critiquing is wondering whether you had the correct engine to pull the load after the trip

Lately I have been taking some recordings while practicing songs (preparing for an upcoming gig).
I notice that while playing I'm thinking I'm making quite some mistakes (playing way too fast/slow, bad timing, fills not syncing, whatever).
However, when I listen back, I don't hear it.
If there is an issue, it usually is about microtiming, which an audience won't even notice.

Any thoughts?
Honestly read the title as "Boeing too self-critical?" 👀

yeah...I think you should NOT be afraid to critique yourself just b/c it is a "hobby" band. Like, if I wasn't critical of my biking hobby, it would be a waste of time and money, so why would I bother?

the key is to have the right kind of critique in the right moment. While playing, I think of it more as "monitoring" than critiquing. While reviewing after a performance, I call it critiquing...

monitoring is making sure the train is on the tracks
critiquing is wondering whether you had the correct engine to pull the load after the trip
Thanks for your input, appreciated.
It is getting in a mindset where you don't get too extreme while playing but judging more objectively afterward to improve.
We got a gig next Sunday and last rehearsal we played the 20 songs without any (tempo) issues.
So all should be well.

It is getting in a mindset where you don't get too extreme while playing but judging more objectively afterward to improve.
We got a gig next Sunday and last rehearsal we played the 20 songs without any (tempo) issues.
So all should be well.
Right. You have to not bum yourself out by your critiques, but I will never forget how David Letterman, the host of a big late night talk show in the US of A, once replied to a question about how he’d beat himself up after a bad show and throw stuff with, “And that’s why I get the big bucks, ladies and gentlemen.”

I’m not saying that you need to take it to those extremes, but I think it does require honest self-criticism to improve.

So all should be well.

yeah...it takes a while to find the right time and place to be critical...I grew up with 7 professional classical musicians in the family always looking over my shoulder, so I was under critical pressure from day one - which I love, and loved - and it toughened me, but it took me a while to figure out when to be "monitoring", and when to be critical. Like, till I was in my late 20's before i learned to not beat my self up while playing

Back