Any songs where you can play the notes, but getting the feel is still difficult?

Oh man I play this cruddy Alesi FORGE ekit at church-couple of weeks ago it was just keys and me. I can't hear doodle while playing except the clomping of the ekit rubbery heads, so I was surprised how this song turned out.

Attachments

• chris and I 5 song only.mp3
    4.9 MB
Sure, it can take awhile to hear some things, and do them in a way that makes sense. Talking about playing, not about copying parts. Maybe if I was a better session drummer I could play perfect pop craft the first time through…

Just as a timing thing, a lot of my students get pushed around by their hands— they’ll have a personal momentum they haven’t trained their hands out of, so it’ll be really hard to hold certain tempos.

One track that really flummoxed me last year, was Superstition. There was just no way I could get close enough to the way Stevie played that, so when I just stopped trying and played my thing the way I heard the song, we made it work just fine.
But man...that is a hard track to try to copy the "feel" from...it just sort of lives in its own space between triplet and duple all the way through. Stevie is one hell of a drummer.

You ever play songs where you can play the notes but you struggle with the feel of the song?

Only if it's a style of music that's very different from what I regularly play.

Last edited:
Back