Alan White

Oh no. What a monster player he was. Loved his drumming.

I blame whomever stole his kit.
R.I.P Mr. White.

RIP

Listening to Drama in tribute. Guilty pleasure album but the drumming is top notch

Very sorry to hear this. RIP Alan.

I enjoyed meeting him years ago. Somewhere I have an autographed copy of the Relayer album he signed for me. He said, even though it wasn't the most popular Yes album, it was his favorite. I will have to dig it out of storage.

I am sorry to hear this and I know his name but not too familiar with his work. If someone could post some links to his best work to check out, I’d appreciate it!

Anything Yes did after Close To The Edge

George Harrison All Things Must Pass

John Lennon’s best solo work in the 70s

I was afraid of this when it was announced he left the tour. I thought about Charlie Watts... I hate when I have these premonitions. Age 72 seems too young to cycle life to me now that I'm in my sixties. I guess longevity is sometimes mostly based on one's genes and not necessarily lifestyle. I remember air-drumming in the car to his drum fills on Instant Karma and then trying to replicate them at home when I was a kid. I didn't think I could adjust to him or accept him when he joined Yes, but that turned out to be a nonissue. I saw him with Yes on three or four tours and was always inspired with his inventiveness and his ability to become Yes. Relayer and 90125 were my top two favorite albums. I wish I had kept my Modern Drummer magazine collection so I could revisit the one that featured him on the cover. All things must pass... RIP after an amazing journey in life and career. I hope those who stole from him burn in Hell!

I'm not familiar with his entire body of work but just one tune hooked me...it obviously impressed Russ Kunkell to because Owner of a lonely heart got to him in a big way as well. Being inspired is such a wonderful thing and wish I could have shook his hand and thanked him for that feeling that has stayed with me to this day. Until we meet Alan...thank you.

(just the messenger Drumdame : )

Last edited:
Wow. This was a shock, today. I remember first hearing him in 1973, on Tales from Topographic Oceans. Blew my mind.

Back