8Mile's Gretsch itch

just some more eye candy to coax you along

....I should have tried to squeeze some of the merlot sparkle New Classic in the pic for the Gretsch trifecta

:)

can't you just hear that round woody tone 8 ?...........listen......

wrap6.jpg

Here are a few more pictures to convince you to try out Gretsch drums

Attachments

• DSCN1386.JPG
    DSCN1386.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 2,578
  • DSCN0774.JPG
    DSCN0774.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 1,603
  • DSCN1516A.jpg
    DSCN1516A.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 2,616
Okay. The last thing I need to do is buy drums. I own a beautiful set and they sound great. I love them.

But the Gretsch itch is afflicting me. I made the mistake of opening up the Gretsch USA Custom order guide today. Oops.

I am thinking seriously about getting a new set.

I'm not ready to place an order yet. But I've taken a big step; I've allowed myself to think about actually buying them. Before, I would snuff such thoughts out before they became serious. But I started peering at the finishes and wondered what I'd want, what kind of hardware, hoops, etc.

I've been bitten by the Gretsch bug since I fell in love with the sound on all my favorite jazz records from the 50s and 60s. The truth is, the last few years, I avoided playing Gretsch kits because I was afraid I'd hear a sound I couldn't get from any other drum. And then I knew I'd be hooked.

So a few months ago, a Burnt Orange bop kit showed up at my local shop. It belongs to the owner, a friend of mine. Of course, he put it there because he was thinking about selling it and he knew I'd come in, get all excited and have to try a few taps on it. I couldn't resist. I just played a few notes on the 8x12 tom. Dammit. That sound.

Then Gvd has to come on here and post those 1966 beauties in Champagne Sparkle a while back. No surprise, of course; this man was put on earth to torment me with envy. I'm just surprised the mother****** didn't stumble across the Cadillac Green Birdland set in his attic, with Max still sitting behind it playing it. Just my luck.

Anyway, that put cracks in the veneer of my abstinence. I allowed myself to visit the website "just to see what's up." Then I opened the order guide. I think it's all over now.

There's no purpose to this thread, other than to have other drummers weigh in and either talk me in or out of buying a set of these drums. And help with finishes. Because, let's face it, nobody on this forum talks people OUT of buying drums.

There goes my Christmas budget. Sorry, family and friends.

If you are thinking of buying new and you want a USA made kit, you might consider the Brooklyn's. I picked up a set last month and they are SUHWEEET!

just some more eye candy to coax you along

....I should have tried to squeeze some of the merlot sparkle New Classic in the pic for the Gretsch trifecta

:)

can't you just hear that round woody tone 8 ?...........listen......

wrap6.jpg

Yes, I can hear it! You guys are killin' me!

That gloss lacquer kit with the black inlays on the kick hoops is probably my next kit. now. Holy crap that is so gorgeous. Thanks

I would go new too.

Why not buy new, keep them until you are an old stud like me and they will at that time be vintage

I just bought this Anniversary Sparkle 16" floor tom and I will be adding it to my Gold Sparkle Gretsch 20/12/14 5.5x14 kit.

Elvin Jones' 16" floor tom. It looks like it has the original batter head - complete with drinking glass rings and what appears to be lots of smoke-filled bar residue - nice vintage drum. Still sounds very good with this old Gretsch (still can see the Gretsch logo) head.

Daisy looks cumfy haha........

Attachments

• DAISY LOOKING AFTER MY ELVIN JONES DRUM14 (Custom).JPG
    DAISY LOOKING AFTER MY ELVIN JONES DRUM14 (Custom).JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 1,547
  • GRETSCH STARLITE SPARKLE (Custom).JPG
    GRETSCH STARLITE SPARKLE (Custom).JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 1,547
  • DAISY LOOKING AFTER MY ELVIN JONES DRUM12 (Custom).JPG
    DAISY LOOKING AFTER MY ELVIN JONES DRUM12 (Custom).JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 1,593
Last edited:
I just bought a Starlite Sparkle 16" floor tom and I will be adding it to my Gold Sparkle Gretsch 20/12/14 5.5x14 kit.

Elvin Jones' 16" floor tom. It looks like it has the original batter head - complete with drinking glass rings and what appears to be lots of smoke-filled bar residue - nice vintage drum. Still sounds very good with this old Gretsch (still can see the Gretsch logo) head.

pretty sure that is Anniversary Sparkle

Starlight Sparkle has a more grey purple look to it and the glitter is much closer together

like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm2n5v3SMg8

starlight2.jpg
]

Last edited:
You are right - I've been mistakenly calling this (my new - old drum) Starlite Sparkle.

It is - as you say here - "Anniversary Sparkle" or Diamond Sparkle = black background with silver flakes (Sparkles).............as described on p52 of Chet Falzerano's book Gretsch Drums The Legacy Of "That Great Gretsch Sound"

I've read others describing my drum as "Starlite Sparkle" and just repeated it - that's how misinformation spreads.
Thanks for nudging me to look it up.

gary

pretty sure that is Anniversary Sparkle

Starlight Sparkle has a more grey purple look to it and the glitter is much closer together

like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm2n5v3SMg8

starlight2.jpg
]

So what's it gonna be boy...yes...or...no, what's it gonna be boy yes...or....ah ah ah a-let me sleep on it, baby baby let me sleep on it...

I have owned 5 Gretsch kits in my drumming career so far, some have been great, some dogs. All were stop sign badge kits. The best of these was my first professional drum set a natural maple lacquer 18/12/14 with matching snare drum.

I do not own any Gretsch kits today, I have a Ludwig Legacy Classic, Tempus and Ludwig Element SE and really like all of these, but I too have been getting the Gretsch itch on occasion. I had a DW Jazz series kit and really liked it sonocally, but hated the wrap (Champagne glass glitter) after awhile. I bought it because I got a great deal on it and ended up selling it for a $250.00 profit. :)

I have had the opportunity to buy two round badge Gretsch kits recently and passed them up. One a red sparkle 20/12/14 with matching snare and the other a 1958 Anniversary Sparkle 20/12/14 with matching snare. Neither came cheap and I was lacking funds t the time. Neither finish really caught my fancy to be honest. The Anniversary sparkle would be a great investment, so ai let my buddy pick it up.

I do have my eye on a Steve maxwell exclusive Copper Mist lacquer 20/12/14 kit, so now I need to save up some dough.

Back