2015 Guru Snare Competition Entry Details - ENDS SOON!

Re: The 2015 funky Guru snare competition starts now! Entry details :)

Please help - I'm in a pickle.

I'm attempting to play the short track. I get into bother when the vocals start, because the accents feel all wrong. The only way I can make it feel right is by putting in an extra beat and then taking it out later. Is it ok to do this, or should I really keep everything where it's supposed to be? I'm reluctant to see how other people have played it for fear of demoralising myself.
No "demoralising" risk here ;) Here's my quick first go. It's a simple approach, & you can hear how I've switched the backbeat around, then corrected again, exactly as you describe :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gBMD1w5AM4&feature=youtu.be

Essentially, any approach is allowed, & as Al said, "so long as it grooves". I do suggest listening to the full original track to help with conceptualising the parts, & especially placing the 2 & 4 backbeat in the chorus.

Hey "so long as it grooves" I take offense to that-it can bop/swing if your crazy like me and play through it. Jeez even worms gotta eat so I wormed it a bit-throw a dog a bone. Just kidding-well maybe not the crazy part.

Dang Andy to bad you can't enter nice job "groovin'"-I like the play on da hat's mon. Can't you just enter it anyways for the fun of it-though you can't win seems you ought to still be allowed to play. Belly up to the "bar" and all that rot.

Magenta I can't encourage you enough to just go for it-use your instincts and go with what feels good and flows for you. We all give our interpretation with the "skills" we have. I've really enjoyed all the videos-well course I'm not happy with mine but who is ever really satisfied they couldn't do better. Find a stopping point in your effort and just post it because you can work on it forever it seems.

Thanks very much, chaps, that helps a lot!

Incidentally, Andy, I was thinking that if I won, I would have to buy the rest of the kit to go with the snare ... ;) (Well, you can't blame me for trying, can you?)

Anthony time for you to "Tony-erize" it man. I'd like to hear that.

Bill wins

no more entries please

:)
No way am I allowing you to wimp out with that Ant!!! I'm counting on you to flesh out the (currently almost empty) "pro" section. Enter thou the competition, lest I tauntest ye a thousand times ;)

Thanks very much, chaps, that helps a lot!
Go with your own flow, play the spaces, & you'll be good to go :)

Can't you just enter it anyways for the fun of it-though you can't win seems you ought to still be allowed to play.
Hell yeah, I'm entering. I can't win, but I'm entering anyhow. I'm living across the big pond for the next two weeks, but when I get back, I'll give it a proper go!

Wow BillRay You play it like the track is following you ! Love your playing.

Last edited:

Wow BillRay You play it like the track is following you ! Love your playing.

You guys are all far too nice! If I were tracking this "for reals" for the artist (ergo gettin' paid) a chart would have been made and I'd have a visual roadmap. This was a great "exercise" for me because my goal is to internalize what I hear, on the spot and create a part based around it.

Immediately I was thinking "Tower of Power meets Aquarium Rescue Unit" (Look 'em up) so I decided to pull from that bag of chops.

The "sideways" part that gets grooving is an amalgamation of "Soul Vaccination" and a latin-esque sort of feel. I saw it as a "long statement of the theme" then it collapses into an "evenness"; I used the horn bumps on the &a of 3 as "anchors".

So when I create these parts it's like I start with a caricature and just pose it differently and with accessories (Elmer Fudd with a cigar in this case).

Hahaha We're huntin' WABBITS!

Happy Easter y'all

You guys are all far too nice! If I were tracking this "for reals" for the artist (ergo gettin' paid) a chart would have been made and I'd have a visual roadmap. This was a great "exercise" for me because my goal is to internalize what I hear, on the spot and create a part based around it.

Immediately I was thinking "Tower of Power meets Aquarium Rescue Unit" (Look 'em up) so I decided to pull from that bag of chops.

The "sideways" part that gets grooving is an amalgamation of "Soul Vaccination" and a latin-esque sort of feel. I saw it as a "long statement of the theme" then it collapses into an "evenness"; I used the horn bumps on the &a of 3 as "anchors".

So when I create these parts it's like I start with a caricature and just pose it differently and with accessories (Elmer Fudd with a cigar in this case).

Hahaha We're huntin' WABBITS!

Happy Easter y'all

Showed my wife my clip and yours. She said, "That's how you should have played it!" Again, nice job!

I checked out yours too, Al. Very cool with the percussion parts! Love your Ludwig kit too.

Thank you kindly sir!

I can't get any of those competition videos to play on your webpage.

I can't get any of those competition videos to play on your webpage.
That's concerning :( I've just tested it out, & it's fine for me. There is a pesky "like our Facebook page" message that comes up that I can't get rid of, but just click "not now" & it goes away & reveals the operational video landing page.

Please, if anyone else has issues, please chime in!

Andy, the link you just provided takes me to the Guru Drum Company page for how to enter the competition. I find no videos on that page.

I go to your Guru Facebook page then I click on the "Contest Videos" target. They are all on that Facebook page.

Oh wait a minute ! The target at the bottom of the page you posted takes me to the videos !!!!!

That's concerning :( I've just tested it out, & it's fine for me. There is a pesky "like our Facebook page" message that comes up that I can't get rid of, but just click "not now" & it goes away & reveals the operational video landing page.

Please, if anyone else has issues, please chime in!
Thanks, Andy. Yup, it was that little pesky Facebook "like" thing you have to check before the page becomes operational. Never would have thought of that because it's not obvious that that was the problem. Sorry to trouble you.

Andy, the link you just provided takes me to the Guru Drum Company page for how to enter the competition. I find no videos on that page.

I go to your Guru Facebook page then I click on the "Contest Videos" target. They are all on that Facebook page.

Oh wait a minute ! The target at the bottom of the page you posted takes me to the videos !!!!!

That's right Jim. There's two ways of accessing the videos. One is via the video competition app on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/GuruDrumsLtd/app_515720611858523
The other is via our website http://www.gurudrums.co.uk/#!snare-competition/c1lag

In both cases, it necessitates scrolling down the page & either liking our Facebook page or clicking the "not now" icon. I'm sorry about the Facebook popup. It's a permanent feature of the competition landing page I'm using (costs $80/month to host too :(

Thanks, Andy. Yup, it was that little pesky Facebook "like" thing you have to check before the page becomes operational. Never would have thought of that because it's not obvious that that was the problem. Sorry to trouble you.
No trouble whatsoever. The IT side of things isn't perfect, but it's the best I could do. If I had a marketing department with IT consultants, it would all be as slick as hell, but I don't. Everything you see from Guru is little old me fiddling around until I get it somewhere close :(

Wow!!! Bill Ray thats how drums should be played! Sorry, I've only listened to Bills entry so far so no offense meant to the other entries. Tasteful drumming.
Mike.

Just landed back now, & there's more great entries in whilst I've been away. Check them out, vote, & get involved!!!

Madge, did you post something about having difficulty aligning audio & video in Moviemaker? I know the snag points on that in iMovie. Hopefully someone with Moviemaker experience can chime in?

Back