Favorite metal drummer?

Andols Herrick
Chimaira's drummer
amazing

and

John Broeklyn (sp?)
Drums for Devildriver
This guy is amazing, I love his style. His uniqueness, and subtlty in some of his stuff.

Sean Reinert - Cynic
Moe Carlson - Protest The Hero
Mike Portnoy - (Like I need to say it?)
Chris Adler - Lab Of God (Not absolute favorite but good in what he's doing.)
Aquiles Priester - Angra (Reminds of Portnoy in some ways.)
David Silveria - Korn (Hope he never comes back to Korn, new albums are total shit and I say let Korn R.I.P)
Martin Lopez - Opeth
Martin Axenrot - Opeth (Listen to Watershed...)
Virgil Donati - Planet X (I know he plays in many other's but Planet X is where he is most inspiring to me.)
Yan Maillard - Dominici (Great upcoming drummer.)
Ed Warby - Ayreon (A. Lucassen: Robot with a human touch.)

I know these are not all even that metal, but these are great drumme's who can and sometimes play metal. I just couldn't decide.

Jaska Raatikainen - Children of Bodom
Joey Jordison - Slipknot
Daniel Svensson - In Flames (obviously :D)
Janne Parviainen - Ensiferum
Chris Adler - Lamb of God

I like these guys because of their speed (sad i know), groove and their style of playing.

The Rev - Avenged Sevenfold
Jason Bittner - Shadows Fall
Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater
Daniel Erlandsson - Arch Enemy
Chris Adler - Lamb Of God
Joey Jordison - Slipknot

Last edited:
mike portnoy is probably one of the most innovative metal drummers of all time, but my favorite metal drummer would probably have to be either Danny Carey or The Rev.

this question is so hard because metal is just so demanding that i enjoy pretty much everyones drumming so heres my favorites and not who i think is best or most creative just the drummers that I enjoy listening to the most

Gene Hoglan
Tommy McKinnon
Lars Ulrich

i think that covers it but i know in like 10 minutes ill think of a million drummers

Mike Ranne - We are the Romans (I don't really like the music but man he's fast)
Matt Griener - August Burns Red

Sorry but personally I dislike Slip Knot. Just my opinion though, I definitely would have to say that George Kollias from Nile is the best hands down. Not only for his unbeatable speed but also his ability to play different styles of metal and blast beats. I could go on and on.

Although "best" is obviously subjective I don't get most of picks in here. MY favrourite metal drummers right now:

Jamie Saint Merat - Ulcerate (look up vids in youtube right now)
Sean Reinert - Cynic
Navene Koperweis - Animals as Leaders/Animosity
John Longstreth - Origin
Roddy

Sorry but personally I dislike Slip Knot. Just my opinion though, I definitely would have to say that George Kollias from Nile is the best hands down. Not only for his unbeatable speed but also his ability to play different styles of metal and blast beats. I could go on and on.

Kolias is good for speed and brutality, but he doesn't put down the most interesting or creative beats. For that I'd say that Scorched is along the right lines. I love metal, but the majority of metal drummers sound like each other, the only difference is what tempo's they can hold. People like Reinhert, Navene Koperweis and Asgeir Mickelson (for his work with Spiral Architect) are untouchable in terms of creativity and are miles ahead of most metal drummers.

Last edited:
Derek Roddy
George Kollias
Jordan Mancino

Amongst my favourites, but theres plenty of amazing metal drummers out there, so the list could just go on and on :)

Nothing new...

Danny Carey (Tool)
Martin Lopez (Opeth)
Sean Reinert (Death & Cynic)
Brann Dailor (Mastodon)
Gene Hoglan (Death++)
Reed Mullen (Corrosion of Conformity)

Ben Gordon - Parkway Drive
Lars Ulrich - Metallica (He's a total prick, but I like his drumming)
Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater
Joey Jordison - Slipknot

Best metal drummer has to be no metal drummer at all :)

I'm sorry I dislike metal.

that's a shame, you probably could have learn't alot from the genre and improved as a musician if you weren't as close minded. just like i have learn't alot from listening to pop music.

anyway, yeah. recently i've gone back to shannon lucas, black richardson, old opeth etc. oh and death too. yeah hoglan is a beast always, reinert is good too. will be posting covers of some stuff off miasma/nocturnal/colors/great misdirect on youtube soon. will probably post some deathcore/metalcore stuff up too, but that stuff is a little boring tbh. think i might take some old killswitch engage and add some blast beats and stuff for lolz.

if anyone enjoys playing 'faster' metal drumming (i.e. 220+) then check out some breakcore. some of it is like death metal/drum and bass crossover. very good for practicing rudiments too (and making crazy jungle beatz).

oh i'll also cover tool too, but i don't have a mandala yet so Right In Two is gonna sound crap.

Back