Yamaha Drums

Ha, fast work! Nice looking. I'm dying to get one myself.

Where can you buy HEXRACKS in Europe, by the way?

This, I do not know.

Could you give us some detailed photos of the new clamps for Hexrack II. I just want to confirm that they abandoned the ball and socket design. The new ones move up and down but NOT side to side, right?

Well here's the stock photo of the piece I think you're talking about, and that has to be better than anything I'd take. I'll describe it for you as well.

2B68A0494F5946098736430B62119F37_12001.jpg

Basically loosening the screw on the back there allows that bottom half to open, and that dark plastic piece sits around the curved hex tube. Not sure how the original worked, but on this one you can really only angle the clamp up, down and all the way around. The clamp itself can be positioned anywhere along the curved hex tube. This hasn't restricted me in any way, of course all of my hex tubes are completely horizontal... for now.

Looking for some help here. I am possibly buying an 8 inch tom for my Recording Custom kit and I'm really having trouble dating this thing. Is it an early RC tom, the un-stained interior is really throwing me off??

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 5I45Ne5E23Ie3Md3N9c72c7b174caba89195b.jpg
    5I45Ne5E23Ie3Md3N9c72c7b174caba89195b.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,998
  • 5L25E35Hf3Ef3I43mfc7227265c4e7a921e99.jpg
    5L25E35Hf3Ef3I43mfc7227265c4e7a921e99.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 2,034
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,048
Looking for some help here. I am possibly buying an 8 inch tom for my Recording Custom kit and I'm really having trouble dating this thing. Is it an early RC tom, the un-stained interior is really throwing me off??

Thanks for any help!

In the early days of the recording series, there were 2 lines: the Recording Custom and the Recording Standard. All of the RC's had lacquered exteriors and stained interiors. The Standard line had the same shells and lugs, but they were either wrapped or had natural satin exterior. The inside of the shell wasn't stained dark like the RC.

What you have there is an early 80's Recording Standard tom wrapped in white.

In the early days of the recording series, there were 2 lines: the Recording Custom and the Recording Standard. All of the RC's had lacquered exteriors and stained interiors. The Standard line had the same shells and lugs, but they were either wrapped or had natural satin exterior. The inside of the shell wasn't stained dark like the RC.

What you have there is an early 80's Recording Standard tom wrapped in white.

Thank you so much for the quick response! I am debating on staining the interior to match all of my other shells, does anyone advise against this? Should I just leave it?

Thank you so much for the quick response! I am debating on staining the interior to match all of my other shells, does anyone advise against this? Should I just leave it?

I would just leave it, unless you are using clear batter heads and it bothers you that one is different. The exterior's not going to be an exact match, either. I assume you have 'Stage White' RC's which are kind of an off-white. This 8" will be bright white, more of a pure white color.

I would just leave it, unless you are using clear batter heads and it bothers you that one is different. The exterior's not going to be an exact match, either. I assume you have 'Stage White' RC's which are kind of an off-white. This 8" will be bright white, more of a pure white color.

I do use clear G2's on my toms, we will see how bad it bothers me when it arrives. It is damn near impossible to match any add on's with the stage white RC's but luckily mine have not yellowed at all and they are 25 years old! I would rather it be more of a brighter white than a nasty off white/yellowish one.

Thanks for all your help!

Thanks for any help!

Hey RedRaider, I went to the Yamaha Drum Vault http://www.yamaha.com/yamahadrums/drumvault/default.asp and looked up that Tom; it's a "9000GA" which is birch. I then found the following in the VDrums forum:

I have seen the light ;)

Ok, folks... I finally got hold of the guy responsible for Yamaha drums i Sweden... He tells me this! 9000GA was the same (regarding the shells) as the 9000 Recording drums but with a glued covering sheet instead of laquer! So Birch all through and quite thick shells... Same hardware as the Recording!

End of mystery... tomorrow I´ll pick ém up ;-) (if the guy has not completely blown me regarding the status of the kit... you never know...)

/Mr Harley

So there you go, a R/C with a wrap in Winter White

Last edited:
Looks to me like Carter switched back to his Recording Custom drums for the recording of the new DMB album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTprA7qSpjY

I certainly like the look better than the PHX line.

Well, he is in the studio, and even Weckl claims to forego his PHX drums for his Birch Absolute when recording.

Carter is using RIMS on the RC kit in this video. I wonder if he completely removed the YESS from the shell...

Well, he is in the studio, and even Weckl claims to forego his PHX drums for his Birch Absolute when recording.

Carter is using RIMS on the RC kit in this video. I wonder if he completely removed the YESS from the shell...

Looks that way.

From what I've seen, Carter is one of the last modern-day drummers playing RCs, at least from a signed, major act. Sadly, they're just not as popular anymore, which is really too bad because they are such superb drums. DW, TAMA, Mapex, Gretsch, Sonar, etc have done a great job eroding their market share, and Yamaha has done a piss-poor job marketing the line.

That's nice. Name one professional, touring drummer besides Carter Beauford who, in 2012, plays Recording Customs. Gadd, Coliauta, Weckle...they all moved on years ago. You certainly don't see any young, upcoming bands using them.. which is exactly my point. Yamaha has done a piss-poor job promoting these fabulous drums to today’s younger generation of drummers.

You look at some of the popular groups of today.. The Fray, Mumford & Sons, Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses, The Shins, Young the Giant, etc, and not one of their drummers play RCs. Why not? I blame Yamaha Incorporated, not the drums. And don't tell me it's the price; these kiddos can certainly afford their DW Collectors and Tama Starclassics.

Carter was the last premier bastion of Recording Custom awesomeness.

Last edited:
I bought some RCs a couple of years ago. I know ain't no bugger heard of me, but as soon as I had enough money I knew exactly what to go for. I think they are just the sort of product that can get by on reputation - kinda like Supraphonics or 2oo2s. In fact, if anyone in the world were to buy a kit comprised of RCs, a Supraphonic, and 2oo2s having never even heard any of them before I'd be very surprised if they asked for their money back.

P.S. When did Carter Beauford start wearing drumming gloves? He looks like he's handling hazardous materials or something . . .

That's nice. Name one professional, touring drummer besides Carter Beauford who, in 2012, plays Recording Customs. Gadd, Coliauta, Weckle...they all moved on years ago. You certainly don't see any young, upcoming bands using them.. which is exactly my point. Yamaha has done a piss-poor job promoting these fabulous drums to today’s younger generation of drummers.

You look at some of the popular groups of today.. The Fray, Mumford & Sons, Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses, The Shins, Young the Giant, etc, and not one of their drummers play RCs. Why not? I blame Yamaha Incorporated, not the drums. And don't tell me it's the price; these kids can certainly afford their DW Collectors and Tama Starclassics.

Carter was the last premier bastion of Recording Custom awesomeness.

So its all about the pro's?

Its about the legacy, and it continues. No marketing or pro's needed. It sells itself.

I certainly like the look better than the PHX line.

Really?!... No doubt RC's are beautiful drums (esp. in cherrywood finish), but PHX in antique black sunburst...to me that's the finest looking kit Yamaha makes...and one I would love to have!!...maybe someday....

So its all about the pro's?

Its about the legacy, and it continues. No marketing or pro's needed. It sells itself.

Nothing "sells itself". If that were the case, Pepsi Cola and Coke would never run another ad again. Time-tested and true: professional endoresments sell gear.
Yamaha needs to step up. Their competitors will continue to chip away at their marketshare.

You don't think Travis Barker has helped OCP sell a few drum kits in their day?

When it comes to promoting and marketing the Recording Custom line - today in 2012 - I give Yamaha a solid F.

Last edited:
Really nice, the blue is beautiful. Congrats!

Back