Yamaha Drums

Hi, guys!
I really love Yamaha drums... Since I started playing drums, I took lessons with a beautiful Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage set... It was something more of a normal drum kit, it was a piece of Design and Architecture... I recently bought my first Yamaha drum kit: it is a Maple Custom Absolute in Cherry Wood finish, with a R-version 22"x20" bass, 10"x7" & 12"x8" toms, and a 16"x15" floor tom. I never played a 22x20 kick, but when I heard it into the shop I was impressed: there wheren't other bass drums of that power! I heard also a DW collector's maple with a 22x18: it sounded great, but "standard", something that you can hear everywhere...
Bye, Yamaha Guys!

WOW, that blue is amazing! Like it better than the blue on my kit!

Thanks! Yes, this Deep Blue is pretty spectacular. Very dark. Without the camera's flash, you wouldn't really see the grain like that.

My old Recording Customs (Teal - I hated the color)...

rec_cust_front-1.jpg

...which I sold to finance a Beech Custom kit (Blueberry)...

beech_backview.jpg

...that got sold when I went Gretsch for a while. I then came to my senses and traded the Gretsch stuff for a Maple Custom AN (Sea Blue Fade).

MCAN_10.jpg

Throughout it all, I have been playing a 1990 Weckl signature snare...

weckl_snare.jpg

...and I added a sweet looking Copper Nouveau snare a few years ago:

Copper_Nouveau06.jpg

Hey all

Just want to know if the hook lug on the absolute series is more expensive than absolute lug and is it more expensive to go hybrid with, for example, birch toms and maple floor toms and bass drum than just all birch/maple?
Also, i know it's more of a personal preference thing but do you think the Blue Ice Sparkle finish would be too much for a 3 up 2 down set up? It's quite a bright finish but mabey thats a good thing for stage?

Well, he is in the studio, and even Weckl claims to forego his PHX drums for his Birch Absolute when recording.

Carter is using RIMS on the RC kit in this video. I wonder if he completely removed the YESS from the shell...

While watching the video you posted, I found this link to another video.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=4vPMNZR_vPY

I see a Ludwig LB417T. Just thought I would share that.

Last edited:
Here is another random pic of my RC's...6/8/10/13/16/24 shown

IMG_37431024x872.jpg
[/IMG]

Ahhh, COME ON NOW... Photography 101... We don't want to see your refection in the mirrored bass reso. There's supposed to be a scantilly clad woman in the reflection. Try again... ;^)

Otherwise, beautiful kit. I like the efficient use of space with the stacked toms. Did the mirrored Yamaha logo reso come with the kit or is it an aftermarket item? i.e. Where can I get one?

I've a bunch Yamaha parts I'm looking to sell. Anyone interested? I have a bunch of triple flanged hoops (regular as well as the thicker dyna hoops).

If anyone is interested, I'll post the details as far as sizes.

Ahhh, COME ON NOW... Photography 101... We don't want to see your refection in the mirrored bass reso. There's supposed to be a scantilly clad woman in the reflection. Try again... ;^)

Otherwise, beautiful kit. I like the efficient use of space with the stacked toms. Did the mirrored Yamaha logo reso come with the kit or is it an aftermarket item? i.e. Where can I get one?

Listen, that reflection is the ONLY chance I have got of appearing on the 'Drummerworld' site lol, scantily clad woman will be procured for next photo...

The head is a Remo 'Starfire' with a Yamaha logo sticker I found on Ebay, I think plain Black or White looks classier, but my drums were having a 'Glam Rock' moment.

Anyone heard what the Yamaha Phoenix drums sound like with coated heads? All the videos I've found seem to be with clear heads. I'm wondering how they'd sound with coated Emperor's.

My Ultimate Studio Drumset !!!

YAMAHA DRUMS: BIRCH CUSTOM ABSOLUTE (cherry red) – REMO Drumheads
BD: 22x16”; drumheads: batt. Powerstroke3 clear – reso. Ebony Powerstroke3
TT: 10x9” - 12x10” - 14x12” - 16x14”; b. Emperor clear – r. Ambassador clear
SD: YAMAHA Roy Haynes Signature 14x5,5”; b. Ambassador coated – r. Ambassador snare
e/o MAPEX Deep Forest Cherry Snare 14x6,5”; b. Controlled Sound coated – r. Ambassador snare
plus
BD (FT): Yamaha Stage Custom 16x16”; b. Powerstroke3 coated – r. Ebony Ambassador
SD: TAMBURO Formula 13x5”; b. Ambassador coated – r. Ambassador snare

UFIP CYMBALS:
14”Class Series heavy hi hats
14” Brilliant Series hi hats
22” Class Series medium ride
20” Brilliant Series ride
16” Bionic Series crash
18” Bionic Series crash
18” Experience Series crash
8” Brilliant Series splash
10” Bionic Series splash
16” WUHAN hand-made china
18” WUHAN hand-made china

Percussion
TAMA Steel Mini Tymps 8” & 10” (b. Diplomat clear)
LP Jam Block medium pitch
LP Blast Blocks high & low pitch
MEINL Kenny Aronoff signature cowbell

Hardware
TAMA Iron Cobra double bass drum pedal
TAMA hp200twb double bass drum pedal (to the 16” bass drum)
TAMA Roadpro hi hat stand
TAMA Cobra Clutch
TAMA Roadpro snare stand
various Yamaha, Tama, Dixon … cymbal stands & clamps

51749615.jpg

88807945.jpg

63760816.jpg

80568981.jpg

91422244.jpg

42469163.jpg

And this is my stage kit:

YAMAHA DRUMS: MAPLE CUSTOM 13000 (vintage natural) – REMO Drumheads
BD: 22x16”; drumheads: batt. Powerstroke3 coated – reso. Ambassador Clear (cantine riunite band logo )
TT: 10x9” - 12x10” - 14x12”; b. Ambassador X coated – r. Diplomat clear
SD: YAMAHA Roy Haynes Signature 14x5,5”; b. Ambassador coated – r. Ambassador snare

UFIP CYMBALS (not shown…):
14” Brilliant Series hi hats
20” Brilliant Series ride
16” Bionic Series crash
18” Bionic Series crash
18” Experience Series crash
10” Bionic Series splash

Hardware
YAMAHA 700-800 series drum pedal, hi hat stand & snare stand
Yamaha/Tama cymbal stands, clamps …

p1010162u.jpg

WWW.CANTINERIUNITE.ORG

Last edited:
I's a Yamaha guy too. I play an 8pc Beech Custom right now. I'm going to look at a set of Oak Customs after work today. If I buy them Ill post some pics later.

My first kit and coincidentally now my back up kit is a Yamaha YD. Great stuff. I love the shells and the hardware.

I thorougly enjoy my Pearl BRX but if the Birch Absolute were the same price I'd probably spring for that. Unfortunately on the used market there is too far of a gap :-(

Maybe someday I will own some Maple Customs :-D

Back