Zildjian ZHT

johnwesley

Silver Member
Looking at an 18" ZHT china. Internet sound file sounds good. Any experience with these or the ZHT line in general? I understand they're better quality than the ZBT line. Not a big fan of chinas. Only one I ever had and liked was a 14" Dream. This ZHT has the same qualities as far as I can tell. I play pretty much all Ks but do have a 10" Sabian AA china that's awesome and a 16" Istanbul Agop Xist ion that is also superb. Guess I'm just looking for some added texture. Or maybe I'm bored.?

You’re bored. However, the ZHT series sounded (IMO) kind of like my old Sabian Pro cymbals (the first ones).

I don’t own a china myself but my church owns a ZBT 14in china that makes me throw up in my mouth. So by comparison, the H series must be several steps better. Plus china’s are trash cymbals anyway so why not?

You’re bored. However, the ZHT series sounded (IMO) kind of like my old Sabian Pro cymbals (the first ones).

I don’t own a china myself but my church owns a ZBT 14in china that makes me throw up in my mouth. So by comparison, the H series must be several steps better. Plus china’s are trash cymbals anyway so why not?
I am bored with this Coronavirus stay at home, reprogramming of America fill in your own word . As I said, I don't really like china cymbals either. I think they sound like those old metal garbage can lids, but I have heard one or two that really sound pretty good and have good effect in some tunes. That being the case, I guess I'm in the market. I however am not comfortable purchasing online without getting input from forum participants.

I have no direct experience with ZHTs or ZBTs. I can only report that I haven't owned a China in a very long time and that I intend to maintain that status for the rest of my life. When I had one, I rarely used it, and when I did use it, I always felt I could do without it. I'm just not a fan of effects cymbals. I don't even have a splash these days. My current setup consists of a hi-hat, a ride, and three thin crashes. I doubt that will ever change at this point. Sonic simplicity is the name of the game for me.

I had a ZHT 18" EFX crash which developed cracks near on of the cutouts, was replaced and that one broke as well. Sold the replacement.
Soundwise, although not being a china, was a nice cymbal. Loved the sound of it!
ZHT was the semi-pro line of Zildjian which nowadays is the S-series. If you like it, get it :)

If you don’t generally like chinas I can’t imagine you’ll like a ZHT one. I’ve never heard a lower line china which sounded good, nearly always gongy, little trash and chucked into the catalogue to complete the line. Your K cymbals will be very offended to be sharing the kit with such company, you could have a mutiny on your hands if you’re not careful.

Looking at an 18" ZHT china. Internet sound file sounds good. Any experience with these or the ZHT line in general? I understand they're better quality than the ZBT line. Not a big fan of chinas. Only one I ever had and liked was a 14" Dream. This ZHT has the same qualities as far as I can tell. I play pretty much all Ks but do have a 10" Sabian AA china that's awesome and a 16" Istanbul Agop Xist ion that is also superb. Guess I'm just looking for some added texture. Or maybe I'm bored.?
If your ears like it, go for it!
I have a Sabian b8 18” China, but just purchased a 15” AAXtreme that is on the way, this will be higher pitched, shorter in decay and more punchier, though still on the bright end of the spectrum.

In general a b8 is going to give you a more brighter washier (uncontrolled) China sound.
But hey, a China is supposed to sound trashy I would like to think.

I had a 22" zht ride that was a beefy heavy monster of a cymbal but I loved it. It's a very one dimensional cymbal but it had ping and bell for days. I wouldn't consider them versatile cymbals but you are looking at a china... It only has to make one sound.

Who am I though, I like my current 13" zbt hats more then my old sabian 14" HH regular hats, Zildjian 12" SR hats, and Zildjian 14" New Beat hats.

Get a Wuhan if you don't mind it being a Wuhan haha.

They sound better and they're so cheap you could get two and make 18" china hats.

EDIT:

Well heck - the ZHT is even cheaper - wow.

I mean for $50 go for it haha.

Who am I though, I like my current 13" zbt hats more then my old sabian 14" HH regular hats, Zildjian 12" SR hats, and Zildjian 14" New Beat hats.

I'll tell you who you are, roncadillac. You're a secure drummer who lets his ears make his gear decisions. You don't listen to the zombie-like roar of the common crowd that has been programmed to recite, "If a Zildjian label isn't followed by an A or a K, it's trash." You understand that greats such as Bonham didn't give a damn about everyone's slavish devotion to B20 alloy. You're your own man. Never change.

I'll tell you who you are, roncadillac. You're a secure drummer who lets his ears make his gear decisions. You don't listen to the zombie-like roar of the common crowd that has been programmed to recite, "If a Zildjian label isn't followed by an A or a K, it's trash." You understand that greats such as Bonham didn't give a damn about everyone's slavish devotion to B20 alloy. You're your own man. Never change.

Well said, thanks!

I have a 20" ZBT crash/ride that has an unbelievable washy sweetness.
Every other cymbal I own is a Paiste (Signatures & 602s). I've intended to "upgrade" the ZBT to a Giant Beat so that my kit will have only Paiste, but I cannot bring myself to part with the ZBT. I've often wondered if my ZBT is an outlier, or if it's like all of the other ZBTs, and I just happen to like that sound that most drummers detest.

I have a 20" ZBT crash/ride that has an unbelievable washy sweetness.
Every other cymbal I own is a Paiste (Signatures & 602s). I've intended to "upgrade" the ZBT to a Giant Beat so that my kit will have only Paiste, but I cannot bring myself to part with the ZBT. I've often wondered if my ZBT is an outlier, or if it's like all of the other ZBTs, and I just happen to like that sound that most drummers detest.

I've always believed that "upgrade" can't be conventionally applied to the world of cymbals. A cymbal with a higher price tag isn't necessarily one with a better sound. It makes more sense to shun the stereotypes and free our ears from formulated expectations.

I've always believed that "upgrade" can't be conventionally applied to the world of cymbals. A cymbal with a higher price tag isn't necessarily one with a better sound. It makes more sense to shun the stereotypes and free our ears from formulated expectations.

I wholeheartedly agree. Same with the newer Zildjian S line, if I was playing hard rock and metal like I did in my younger days I'd have no problem using a full set. The I series that replaced the ZBT are also really cool. The 14" trash hat set sounds so good for what it is.

My set up is an 18" A uptown ride and 13" zbt hats, that's it. The uptown ride wasn't purchased because it's b20, it was purchased because I wanted a dry controllable ride that is 18" and has some crash potential. It could say ZBT and have cost me $90 or say K Custom and cost me $400... I could care less, it makes the sound/s that I need. Same with the ZBT hats, I wanted a specific sound and a specific size. It's just a bonus that they only cost like $30 lol.

I wholeheartedly agree. Same with the newer Zildjian S line, if I was playing hard rock and metal like I did in my younger days I'd have no problem using a full set. The I series that replaced the ZBT are also really cool. The 14" trash hat set sounds so good for what it is.

My set up is an 18" A uptown ride and 13" zbt hats, that's it. The uptown ride wasn't purchased because it's b20, it was purchased because I wanted a dry controllable ride that is 18" and has some crash potential. It could say ZBT and have cost me $90 or say K Custom and cost me $400... I could care less, it makes the sound/s that I need. Same with the ZBT hats, I wanted a specific sound and a specific size. It's just a bonus that they only cost like $30 lol.

I've owned and liked Paiste lines that weren't B20, so I wasn't at all hesitant to give Zildjian's S Family a try. I find it quite versatile -- good cut without harshness, bright but not shrill in any way, and a flexy feel beneath the stick that's very comfortable. Had I closed myself to non-B20 options, I never would have made the discovery.

Never had a ZHT but did have an S series china and it was awful. Gong city (and not in a good way!) Wuhan chinas are great though.

My set up is an 18" A uptown ride and 13" zbt hats, that's it. The uptown ride wasn't purchased because it's b20, it was purchased because I wanted a dry controllable ride that is 18" and has some crash potential.
I've been looking at the Uptown. Glad to hear that you like it. My only qualm is whether it's loud enough for classic rock.. I had a 20" Custom dry and love it's sound but couldn't get enough volume and the Uptown sounds and feels the same as the custom dry except 18 instead of 20"....????

Back