Zildjian ZHT

roncadillac

I've been looking at the Uptown. Glad to hear that you like it. My only qualm is whether it's loud enough for classic rock.. I had a 20" Custom dry and love it's sound but couldn't get enough volume and the Uptown sounds and feels the same as the custom dry except 18 instead of 20"....????
For solo practice and in a rock band rehearsal setting (assuming everyone isn't blasting) it is plenty loud. For live performance I personally find it to fall just a bit short volume wise, however every person I've shared the stage with and friends 'in the know' in the crowd have always commented on it sounding great. It records like a dream. The bell is small but has a pleasing bark to it when given a good whip. Overall I really enjoy it, I've been playing one cymbal (besides hats) set up for many years and it's by far my favorite to fill that spot. I don't think it would replace a k custom dry if you already have one but if you need a smaller alternative and/or a very complimentary cymbal for a larger set up it would be perfect.

johnwesley

Silver Member
For solo practice and in a rock band rehearsal setting (assuming everyone isn't blasting) it is plenty loud. For live performance I personally find it to fall just a bit short volume wise, however every person I've shared the stage with and friends 'in the know' in the crowd have always commented on it sounding great. It records like a dream. The bell is small but has a pleasing bark to it when given a good whip. Overall I really enjoy it, I've been playing one cymbal (besides hats) set up for many years and it's by far my favorite to fill that spot. I don't think it would replace a k custom dry if you already have one but if you need a smaller alternative and/or a very complimentary cymbal for a larger set up it would be perfect.
Thanks for the input Mr Cadillac.....I sold the custom dry and now wish I hadn't. I'd buy the Uptown if I could find one used. Looking.

roncadillac

Thanks for the input Mr Cadillac.....I sold the custom dry and now wish I hadn't. I'd buy the Uptown if I could find one used. Looking.
I got lucky and found one 'used' for about $60 less then a new one because someone bought one, tapped it twice, and sold it. It didn't even have stick marks and still had the barcode sticker. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for at a good price!

Neilage

I've owned and liked Paiste lines that weren't B20, so I wasn't at all hesitant to give Zildjian's S Family a try. I find it quite versatile -- good cut without harshness, bright but not shrill in any way, and a flexy feel beneath the stick that's very comfortable. Had I closed myself to non-B20 options, I never would have made the discovery.
I will always regret giving away my first new cymbals, a pair of Paiste 404 B8 Hats.

C.M. Jones

I will always regret giving away my first new cymbals, a pair of Paiste 404 B8 Hats.
I played nothing but Paiste 2002s (B8) for the better part of a decade and absolutely loved them. I'm still not sure why I parted with them. Just one of those silly desires for change, I suppose.

I don't share the B8 bias upheld by so many drummers. Paiste, in particular, knows how to do great things with that alloy. And with the B12 S Family, Zildjian has taken an impressive step in a new direction. As improvements in manufacturing proliferate, I expect to see huge advancements in B8, B12, and B15 cymbals. This is a good era in which to prefer a brighter sound.

NackAttack

I wouldn’t be afraid to try any cheap china. I bought a Wuhan china for 60 new and it came with a free 16” crash. I think I gave the crash away lol I don’t even remember hitting it. I’ve been beating the tar out of that china for well over a decade and have no plans to replace it. Originally I bought it because I needed one and I was broke. I planned to replace it with something nice when I could afford it, but I love the way it sounds.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Any idea what 'ZXT' stands for?
No idea, but "Xtremely Terrible" works for me! :p

I will say my own experiences with ZXT isn't completely awful though. I had a Rock Ride that was a real manhole cover but sounded good with the band, and a Titanium 18" medium thin crash that was surprisingly musical.

C.M. Jones

I had a Rock Ride that was a real manhole cover but sounded good with the band . . .
Might that have been because that the band was "Xtremely Terrible" too?

Kidding.

Your account is an object lesson in how sound in isolation differs from sound within a performance setting. Tunings and cymbal selections are really no better than the contexts in which we intend to use them. Application is everything.

Last edited:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Might that have been because that the band was "Xtremely Terrible" too?

Kidding.

Your account is an object lesson in how sound in isolation differs from sound within a performance setting. Tunings and cymbal selections are really no better the contexts in which we intend to use them. Application is everything.
Application is totally everything. I've found that in general a lot of the low-ish line cymbals work well in louder situations because the subtle nuances they lack are often inaudible anyway, and the funky clang can help then cut through.

Obviously my preference is "nice" sounding cymbals that can also cut, but not every situation (and not every budget) requires top of the line gear to get a workable sound.

C.M. Jones

Application is totally everything. I've found that in general a lot of the low-ish line cymbals work well in louder situations because the subtle nuances they lack are often inaudible anyway, and the funky clang can help then cut through.

Obviously my preference is "nice" sounding cymbals that can also cut, but not every situation (and not every budget) requires top of the line gear to get a workable sound.
Definitely. And in some cases, you end up finding what you want at a lower price. My approval of Zildjian's S line has nothing to do with cost. I just like the cymbals. If I wanted Ks instead, I'd get them immediately, but I don't. I'm just on the glassier side of the cymbal spectrum, and the S appeals to my ears.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Definitely. And in some cases, you end up finding what you want at a lower price. My approval of Zildjian's S line has nothing to do with cost. I just like the cymbals. If I wanted Ks instead, I'd get them immediately, but I don't. I'm just on the glassier side of the cymbal spectrum, and the S appeals to my ears.
I have a few Sabian APX cymbals (and a fantastic ZHT Mastersound hihat) precisely for those times when I need glassy and plenty of cut. I wish the APX line would have survived a little longer but I know if I need any holes in my set-up filled in I'd head straight for the Zildjian S series.