Zildjian Sticks...Quality and Consistency

jazzerooty

I use Zildjian's Dennis Chambers sticks. They fit my hands and my style of playing. They're also varnished, which I prefer. But today, I bought a couple pair at a retailer, and discovered after coming home that these sticks were not varnished. Not only that, but the quality of the wood was awful. They vibrate in my hands from the impact against the drum head, which had never been an issue. Do you guys see that kind of inconsistency in you sticks?

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
They may have been old sticks. They used to only lacquer the sticks for Dennis's personal orders, and the ones that went to stores had the regular finish found on the regular sticks. This is because Dennis was once a Regal Tip artist and preferred the thick lacquer finish Regal is known for. I guess after a while they just decided to stop making two different batches of his sticks and just say "lacquer for all!"

cdrums21

Gold Member
I've had that happen in two of the brands I use, Regal Tip and Vater. It happens sometimes......I think it's like anything else. Every once in a while a dud gets through. I've since bought sticks again from said companies and they've been fine.

vyacheslav

Remember that Vic Firth makes ALL of Zildjian's sticks and have for years, since they announced their merger (and probably even before then).

I do find "duds" once in a while too, from all companies. Withe the high level of quality control, it shouldn't happen. If you contact the store or contact Zildjian, they should stand by their product. Paying a premium price for those sticks should entitle you to the quality and consistency they are supposed to have.

C.M. Jones

They vibrate in my hands from the impact against the drum head, which had never been an issue."
Stick vibration is one reason I switched to AHEAD a few years ago. They absorb impact up to fifty percent better than wood sticks. I hated AHEAD initially. The first two days I used them, I was convinced I'd wasted my money. By the end of the first week, I started liking them more, and after several weeks, I found that I wanted to play with nothing else. Wood sticks felt like chainsaws in my hands by comparison. I doubt I'll ever go wood again.

Zildjian and Vic Firth are now one company. I would think Zildjian's quality control is high overall. You may have just gotten a bad pair.

Justinhub2003

I think zildjian owns Vic Firth if I remember correctly.
And lately I just can’t afford to play Vic Firth because of how easy they break.

one of my favorite sticks is the Benny greb signature stick. But I broke 3 of them out of the 6 sticks I purchased in 3 days.
Meanwhile my 2nd favorite stick is the Carl Palmer signature stick, those I’ve had for months and they refuse to break or even fray.