Yoyoka's back (she's 9 now)

This little girl is just awesome. You can tell she actually loves drumming just by watching her, not some "my dad wants me to do it" kid. There is hope for the future of drumming.

The Give it Away cover has a beautiful view of the slide technique for feet if you watch the PIP.

Wow she's pretty amazing. She's already better than most drummers I know including me.

I don't understand how people can do this like her at 9.

I'm really digging the drumming of Asian women/children lately.

This little girl is just awesome. You can tell she actually loves drumming just by watching her, not some "my dad wants me to do it" kid. There is hope for the future of drumming.

The Give it Away cover has a beautiful view of the slide technique for feet if you watch the PIP.

You can tell by how much fun they have.

Kids who get forced to play and instrument tend to play it with perfect posture, attention and discipline. Their parents enforce strict rules and practice routines.

Kids who like to rock out will rock the heck out and don't care if daddy thinks their form is perfect.

You can tell by how much fun they have.

Kids who get forced to play and instrument tend to play it with perfect posture, attention and discipline. Their parents enforce strict rules and practice routines.

Kids who like to rock out will rock the heck out and don't care if daddy thinks their form is perfect.

It is very obvious that no one is putting either a real or metaphoric gun to this kid's head and making her do something she doesn't want to do.

You can tell that she's gained some size and strength since the original Good Times Bad Times clip. There are 30-year-olds who don't hit their drums as hard as she does.

Plus the live clip where she's with a band shows that she can do more than just play along to stuff in the studio.

I'm truly curious ... and excited in a way ... about where this might be in 12 or 15 years.

Wow she's pretty amazing. She's already better than most drummers I know including me.

I don't understand how people can do this like her at 9.

I'm really digging the drumming of Asian women/children lately.

Have you seen S White's drumming on YouTube? She's my favorite drummer to watch.

I saw this just last night, and the part she plays from 8:05 is just incomprehensible how that that is even possible at her age.
Not even just the technical aspect with the 16th note triplets on the double kick, but the feel and the transition into the triplet subdivision showed insane maturity on the instrument, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10pPB957bUo

Seriously, the part from 8:05 to the end blows my mind, i feel like i've worked longer than 9 years to achieve a form way worse than that.

I've watched some of her clips since I first saw her on youtube about a year ago, and she has always puts a big smile on my face. It's both heartwarming and humbling to watch her play. I wish her a long and prosperous career.

Here she is covering Stewart Copeland's very difficult drum part for Murder by Numbers. She just kills it

Last edited:
I think the most fun thing is watching someone with adult-level chops and a kid’s zany, goofy sense of humor. She doesn’t take the whole thing so seriously, that’s refreshing

Asians are 60% of the population of the world-China and India a huge portion of that alone. Statistically we should be seeing some stellar musicians as we see stellar academics (just as disciplined and excel), etc. I've always liked their culture because they do encourage their kids to be disciplined, methodical , and intelligent at any task (also revere aged). There is tons of young talent-some in poverty stricken areas where some kid builds his own drum kit from spare junk and really rocks it . Anyway a culture that promotes excellence. I remember the first Chinese that came to our medical college in the 80s they were way behind in science and medicine (some faculty took advantage of them), yet now the Cancer research building is almost all asians who excel as grad students and faculty. I expect them to dominate about everything in the next decade. Now I use "Asian" as the norm (cultural artifact of European nomenclature) there is no biological race nor does the term seem to apply given all the ethnic/ancestries involved. So many young players that excel-my hope is this will keep acoustic drums popular. AND NO DANG DRUM MACHINE replace us.

Back