Your snare hand/arm

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
...Next day my knees were sore, like they were gona give out mid step at times, awful feeling. Now I get exactly why I am as anal about my set up as I am, I need to be or Im going to strain something.
I feel your pain...only in a different area. This guy's pedal was just so limp feeling. He liked his spring tension really low which I have a tremendously hard time playing. I had to use the rebound of the head for the quick return I like and that gets old quick on a shuffle pattern. It hurt! My shin muscles hurt for 2 days afterwards, I was slightly limping. So yea, that stuff is kind of important.

Oh and I had to do a little solo on a 2 piece for the first time. And I just love solos in blues SOOOOO much :rolleyes:

Especially with a crap pedal and no toms. Sitting too low. With the snare too high. And 13" hi hats that were too close together. I just felt like such a tool lol.

I hate being that guy who has to change pedals. Plus even if I had mine on hand, his was a Sonor Giant Step, and at the end of the night, he had to show me because I couldn't figure out how it unattached lol. Nice pedal, I just couldn't handle how it was adjusted.

Hey, this is the only place I get to vent so thanks for listening.

You guys who do kit shares all the time...yea, you has my sympathies. I can hear you all now rolling your eyes :)

danondrums

I hold my left arm just as I hold my right arm which is suspended, not resting on anything.

And open mics are not something I enjoy participating in or sitting through.

timmdrum

Silver Member
I hold my left arm just as I hold my right arm which is suspended, not resting on anything.
Same. I never developed the habit because you can't when playing while marching/standing in marching and concert/symphonic band in school. I've never understood drummers who want to smack their thigh when hitting the snare drum. The hi-hat/ride hand doesn't. Why does the left hand need rest and the right doesn't? (Or vice-versa for lefties.) I set my snare height so I can play rimshots with either hand even when my BD or HH leg is raised slightly, in-between notes, without touching my legs.

That said, Larry, you're gigging, and you play well, so you're entitled to whatever works for you. 💯 I'd never let my students do it, unless he/she is already an advanced player who wants assistance learning specific material.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I've never understood drummers who want to smack their thigh when hitting the snare drum. The hi-hat/ride hand doesn't. Why does the left hand need rest and the right doesn't? (Or vice-versa for lefties.)
On further analysis, I'm not resting my wrist on my thigh. It's the bottoms of my curled fingers that are just touching my thigh. My hand doesn't hit my thigh while playing. I use my thigh as a "rimshot height gauge" for my hand. Since I use the rim most of the time for backbeats, my thigh is a consistent height gauge that helps me to nail 99 out of one hundred rimshots. When I don't want to use the rim for a song, I raise my forearm up a little so it isn't touching my thigh. I don't bend my elbow to hit the drum, it's all wrist and opening my hands, so it works great for me because my forearm stays basically parallel to the floor most of the time.

Everybody's different. Look at BJ Thomas, the "octopus in the bathtub" I have no idea how he can play sitting so low with his snare drum right under his chest.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
It was not a spindle or hydraulic. It was a smooth tube with a memory lock. I looked at it and didn't want to touch it.

Beings that he is a drummer himself...I don't get it. I provided a set for years at an open mic and knew guys would want to adjust throne height, the snare angle, cymbal height and the hi hat so I made it easy to do so. No adjusting rack toms though.

Plus he had all Sonor hardware which is a learning curve. So I left it as is, shut up and I played. Thanked him for the use of his set and stuck around and helped load and carry gear. But yea, I don't want to go back.
You know, one would NEVER think to say/ask, "Hey, I'm glad there's a back-line kit available! Is the throne and hi-hat adjustable?"

Geez.

You did the right thing. Sometimes you just gotta shut up and play. Good on you for doing so.