Your least played snare(s)

It would be my 1960's Premier Royal Ace.

I haven't played it in years, simply as the snare wires are mostly broken and no one makes replacements- not even Premier!!!

Would love to have it back in working order. It's mostly sat in a case for nearly ten years.
That is very sad. Those are amazing drums. Wires can be had for a small fortune from time to time on eBay.

Pete

Tama Star maple 15x8

edit: or Tama SLP Super aluminum. 14x5

(Said like Marty McFly...."you made a time machine....out of a DeLorean?)

Are you telling me that you would trade a Tama Star Maple reserve...for a Sonor Players poplar shelled 14 x 5?

(Said like Marty McFly...."you made a time machine....out of a DeLorean?)

Are you telling me that you would trade a Tama Star Maple reserve...for a Sonor Players poplar shelled 14 x 5?
ROFL

What? Is there some kind of “no return policy” I missed?

Post some pics of this Sonor dud and let’s haggle.

ROFL

What? Is there some kind of “no return policy” I missed?

Post some pics of this Sonor dud and let’s haggle.

Actually, I'd probably be more interested in the aluminum.

A 15 x 8 is just a wack-a-doo size. I don't know how I would use it.

And the Sonor drum is not dudish at all.

I just have other snares that consistently win my attentions.

It's in great shape, I'll post a pic.

The Star reserve snare had to cost 5 or 6 hundred shekels no?

I’d say my 1961 Slingerland Studio King. It’s a 7x14, I believe, and it has been through the wars.

it was in rough, unplayable shape when I got it. I had the edges professionally recut, so it sounds better then it did previously. The problem is that it does the low, thuddy thing and that’s about it. If I try to tune it up, it just sounds boxy. Damn disappointing.

My least-played snare is my 1960 Ludwig Auditorium. Not because it sounds bad, but because it is the voice I seem to need the least often. I quite like the sound of it. There are some snares I find myself using more that I like the sound of less, but they fit the bill better, so onto the stand they go.

What the snares look like? I’ve never tried to replace the snares for my Premier since the early 90’s, it’s from the late 80’s, I wonder if it’s similar as they are a bit odd due to the strainer.

Here you go Dale.

The wires extend past the diameter of the shell on a Royal Ace.4A7EDA28-6202-4B92-B9C1-E4540E883746.jpeg

I could replace the throw but I’m keen on avoiding having to mod a drum that’s nearly 60 years old.

Here you go Dale.

The wires extend past the diameter of the shell on a Royal Ace.View attachment 91078

I could replace the throw but I’m keen on avoiding having to mod a drum that’s nearly 60 years old.

I have never tried to replace them simply because I doubt the thing will ever sound any better considering what it’s been through, but you have me wondering if there are any snares available for mine being the strainer is out of the norm as well.

This thread is encouraging me to show a little love towards my unplayed snares. I think I'll get them out today and fool around with them. Who knows I may find a renewed interest

I have an old 70s Ludwig marching snare that I literally bought to make a single recording with, and that was it. About 7 years ago.

My original beginner snare that my grandad bought for me in like 98 I still have, but I never really played it that much. I almost always played it with the rubber pad those things came with. I had it in my bedroom growing up, but it mainly was something to put stuff on, I had a drumset in the garage I'd much rather play on. Probably been about 15 years since I fiddled with it.

As far as like snares that I might use on drumset, my stock snare for my Sonor 2001's I have tuned low when I want to make recordings with a fat snare. I use it occasionally, like maybe once a year. My supraphonic gets use when I want to use a snare that's not pitched super high.

Otherwise, all my practice and 95% of my recordings are on my brass snare, cranked for that shimmering goodness.

I have never tried to replace them simply because I doubt the thing will ever sound any better considering what it’s been through, but you have me wondering if there are any snares available for mine being the strainer is out of the norm as well.
what model is your snare?

This is going to sound shallow. I have three "Sparkling Blue Pearl" Slingerland snare drums, a 1958 Radio King, an early sixties single ply "Artist", and an early sixties three ply "Artist". I still use them at home, but I have not gigged with any of them since I sold my two Sparkling Blue Pearl kits. I know that you are asking your self, why hasn't he sold them?

These days I have a "Silver Glass Glitter Gretsch shell bank, a "Broken Glass" DW Collector's Series kit, and a vintage Champagne Sparkle Slingerland kit. I'm on the lookout for nice single ply and three ply examples of Slingerland snare drums in appropriate finishes. Until then I still have these.

Yup, shallow. :D

Out of mine it's the Acrolite Prototype, nothing to do with sound, it sounds great. Although I've replaced the hoops, it still has aluminium lugs and the P83 strainer that aint made for a 2 hour pop gig.

6.5x14 Crystal Beat Free Floater.
Because I have the Free Floating system with my brass ring always on, this is the one that is hardly used; it is more boutique for my ruby vistas, as I can’t get an original ruby snare (price point too high). Free floating systems are like transformers, but I’m loving this sound as well now that I have it locked in.2ABEEA7A-3ACA-42F2-8073-734E1EDF0F68.jpeg

When I saw this thread I thought most of the responders would say the snare that came with the kit. Surprised to see so many "high-end"snares.

For me it would be the Yamaha 5x14 8-lug Stage Custom Birch snare that came with the kit I bought new 10 years ago. P pulled it out a couple of weeks ago. I put an Aquarian TC-14 head on it and it sounds terrific.

I think I'll pull out the Pearl Chad Smith 5x14 next.

Back