You need to watch the movie “Soul”

Fantastic movie. Much deeper than I assumed it would be. Ran me through the whole gamut of emotions.

I also loved the fact that the musicians were accurately portrayed playing their instruments correctly. This may be the first time that's ever been done in an animated feature.

Has anyone seen, "The Sound of Metal?" About a metal drummer going deaf. I have seen the trailer many times but not yet watched it.

Glad to know I'm not the only person who cries watching kids movies. I thought it was just me because I'm getting old and sappy-my kids tease me. I didn't see the end-visiting kids and it got interrupted-but definitely a moving movie from what I saw. After visiting my grand daughter I'll watch movies by myself that I watched with her-it's like being close to her again. I bet I watched Moana a dozen times and that was after she made me watch with her a dozen times. Didn't cry at that one.

Glad to know I'm not the only person who cries watching kids movies. I thought it was just me because I'm getting old and sappy-my kids tease me. I didn't see the end-visiting kids and it got interrupted-but definitely a moving movie from what I saw. After visiting my grand daughter I'll watch movies by myself that I watched with her-it's like being close to her again. I bet I watched Moana a dozen times and that was after she made me watch with her a dozen times. Didn't cry at that one.

The most important scene in “Soul” (IMHO) is when soul 22 is being yelled at by the memory ghosts of all the people who told her she wasn’t good enough. I don’t know if you saw that part, but I’d be interested in discussing it if you decide to.

The one scene that REALLY gets me in Moana is when Moana gives Te Fiti her heart back. Dude. I have to look away from the screen every time, or I’ll cry. The kindness is so touching.

Yeah I think I did cry the first time with Moana now you mention the details. I can't remember that much of Soul-dagnabit. What happened to Soul 22-for some reason I really related to that character though a female voice? What happened to both I guess is the question. Joe was main character but poor lost Soul 22 was really the vehicle for the whole movie.

Soul 22 reminded me of myself before I hit about 28 and became about as normal as I guess I'll ever be LOL. I didn't like Earth to much either. Finding my "spark" was difficult-I'm not sure I ever did except in family and friends-maybe that's all that really matters. I guess we all have ghost and demons that can haunt you-but maybe Jack Nicholson is right "It’s not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that’s their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you’re that pissed that so many others had it good." Melvin was quite a character-he "evolved" as a human being-I can relate to that too.

Last edited:
I'm watching Soul again-never saw the end. I'm making popcorn. It's more convoluted than I remember-I'd think a child have a hard time following it. Maybe that's why my 2 year old grandbaby lost interest LOL. So Push pull the Soul 22 with memories of past right near end-I hadn't seen it. I'll be damned I found my "spark" just like Joe and Soul 22. So I wonder if Joe and whoever Soul 22 became on earth meet-must be Soul 2 LOL.

Last edited:
Dude. It’s the first time I’ve been able to pay attention to a movie all the way through in probably 6 or 7 years. Or longer. I even cried. It’s all about a guy and his sort-of-failed music career, and larger soul-purpose stuff. Just...wow.
Just watched it and I have to say....it's impressive on so many levels. Thx man!

Has anyone seen, "The Sound of Metal?" About a metal drummer going deaf. I have seen the trailer many times but not yet watched it.
I started watching it but it takes forever for anything to happen so I gave up on it. (sad how he has to come to terms with his reality)

I've noticed that when a trailer gets made, sometimes they will place parts of the movie that are not related at all to each other but make it seem as if the story follows that line. but then you watch the movie and everything is different. it's ok, I rather see the movie and be amazed (or not) at the actual story vs the trailer hipe.

I'd like to watch it, but it looks as though it's just on the Disney channel? I'm not going to subscribe to a channel just for one movie.

My feelings about modern entertainment delivery are a rant for another thread...

Back