Yikes! - Online can be a hostile place...

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
I was more referring to the hospital bill, but yes, TX has lots of bitey things with sharp, pointy teeth. However, Australia still wins for having the most things that will kill you, quickly.

true...Australia is brutal in that way!!

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
For identification purposes only, not trying to creep anyone out, this is the Brown Recluse spider:

View attachment 109164

It's important to know this spider. Its venom can cause necrosis in tissue. It's also misidentified as it looks like many other spiders, such as the highly common Wolf spider.

Notice the dark spot on its head looks like a violin. That's the identifying feature. It's only on the head, it's never a stripe.

The Brown Recluse spider is a scavenger/ambush predator. It does not spin a web to catch prey. It does not hunt. It lies in wait in the dark for opportunity to present itself.

You wont normally see the Brown Recluse. Being an ambush predator, they hide in boxes, closets, attics, basements, garages, basically anywhere that doesnt get much use. If you are a slob who likes to leave dirty clothes all over the floor for weeks at a time, they will hide in those clothes also. Lots of folks get bit this way, as do folks who stick their hands into things without looking.

I apologize if this creeps anyone out. It's important to know this spider. Everyone knows the Black Widow and can identify it. The Brown Recluse, not so much.

we always had to watch for these things on Boy Scout camping trips in southern Ohio back in the day...especially in the outhouses...

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
When I stayed at Andy's place, I saw him gently take a spider the size of a mouse outside by picking it up and calmly carrying it outside. With bare hands. I wouldn't have touched it. Spider bites can do real damage.

I had a really close friend that got bit by a spider, not sure which kind, and months later all his teeth started loosening. He died within the year on his 52nd birthday. Healthy in every other way.

my step daughter is like that with all bugs/creepy things...she has no fear...except of getting a real job and moving out 😑

Al Strange

Gold Member
this is the Brown Recluse spider:

brown-recluse.v1.jpg
Right! That’s it, I’m tapping out of this thread…for arachnophobes the web can be such a hostile place!!! :unsure: 😂(y)

Sakae2xBopster

Regular Poster
Texas! Lots of sharp, pointy, bitey things there, and in all of the southwest!!!

A number of years ago we were staying in a cabin in the Texas hill country. We woke up in the middle of the night with a scorpion in the bed! My wife screamed (that was scarier than the scorpion, actually). I wrapped it up in the bed sheet and took it outside.

Now that we're in Florida all we have to worry about are the alligators in the pond out back.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
A number of years ago we were staying in a cabin in the Texas hill country. We woke up in the middle of the night with a scorpion in the bed! My wife screamed (that was scarier than the scorpion, actually). I wrapped it up in the bed sheet and took it outside.

no way...I will not camp out west because of scorps and tarantulas. I am an admitted wuss about those things....

Now that we're in Florida all we have to worry about are the alligators in the pond out back.

yeah...my cousin moved to Sarasota from Ohio 20 years ago, and I remember him saying: "man, I liked it when all I had to worry about in the yard were squirrels"

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
no way...I will not camp out west because of scorps and tarantulas. I am an admitted wuss about those things....
Might wanna just stay north of the Mason Dixon then. They exist here too, they like woods as well as desert.

I had to shut off my water one day to fix a leak. I opened the meter cover, and low and behold a bright orange scorpion was living in the meter well, standing next to the shut off valve. I poked it with a stick and it ran off under the meter. Never saw it again.

For the most part bugs are harmless and want no trouble. I like to put spiders and mantises on plants for pest control.

Hewitt2

A number of years ago we were staying in a cabin in the Texas hill country. We woke up in the middle of the night with a scorpion in the bed! My wife screamed (that was scarier than the scorpion, actually). I wrapped it up in the bed sheet and took it outside

Good for you for being empathetic and choosing the humane path ❤️

Bugs, insects and yes even scorpions don’t deserve to die just because they happen to find themselves inside our homes.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
It's the human critter that's the most dangerous. Humans are considered a "SuperPredator". After we published this paper using a primate model (and I was working with primate blood )I later discovered that they carried a herpes like virus (for real-about midway through study I was finally warned) that had this odd affect on me. Fortunately it wasn't permanent but every once in awhile I have a break out. Everyone in the lab told me to quit Monkeying around and my retort was you are a freaking idiot-I'm a prime mate. ROFL I became a Primate Natural Killer-what else?Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 7.10.23 PM.png
Blood
. 1996 Aug 15;88(4):1215-24.

Recombinant human macrophage colony-stimulating factor in nonhuman primates: selective expansion of a CD16+ monocyte subset with phenotypic similarity to primate natural killer cells​

D H Munn 1, A G Bree, A C Beall, M D Kaviani, H Sabio, R G Schaub, R K Alpaugh, L M Weiner, S J Goldman

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Recombinant human macrophage colony-stimulating factor in nonhuman primates: selective expansion of a CD16+ monocyte subset with phenotypic similarity to primate natural killer cells
Why does this sound like the plot of a Jeff Goldblum movie?

Some army types are gonna show up, infiltrate the lab, murder all the infected humans, destroy the sample, blow the lab up, then have beers like that's a normal day. All the while Jeff Goldblum has to preserve himself, save a part of the sample, escape the lab, and do it while not being seen by the army types. And oh yeah, he is infected with the primate natural killer cells the whole time.

Yamaha Rider

Silver Member
I have luckily, and on purpose, never participated in ANY social media other than 4 forums.

I receive no robo, or spam calls. When I google myself, only things that are available on government public sites comes up.

social media - to me - has been the single largest contributor to the downfall of America. I think it is actually a pandemic worse than COVID, SARS, H1-N1 etc.

your ignorance to all of the sludge on social media should be something to be proud of. You have not become that shallow

I get made fun of by my students/wife/step kids/friends etc because I don't know who Cardi B is...or because I don't know - and participate - in the latest Tik Tok brain cell kill....

and I also get made fun of for knowing what it going on in DC, or Afghanistan, or in oher world news events...THE SH*T THAT IS IMPORTANT TO REAL DAILY LIFE!!!....but I get told that I am "not allowed to talk about that stuff because it is for nerds/politicians/adults"...."it makes me feel uncomfortabble, can we not talk about that?"

bruh...I always thought that nuclear war would end the human race...I am now seeing that our own ignorance is the scariest enemy....
Yep, it's reduced millions to an 'identity', a grievance, and with the civility usually only expressed through car windscreens.

Yamaha Rider

Silver Member
It's the human critter that's the most dangerous. Humans are considered a "SuperPredator". After we published this paper using a primate model (and I was working with primate blood )I later discovered that they carried a herpes like virus (for real-about midway through study I was finally warned) that had this odd affect on me. Fortunately it wasn't permanent but every once in awhile I have a break out. Everyone in the lab told me to quit Monkeying around and my retort was you are a freaking idiot-I'm a prime mate. ROFL I became a Primate Natural Killer-what else?View attachment 109180
Blood
. 1996 Aug 15;88(4):1215-24.

Recombinant human macrophage colony-stimulating factor in nonhuman primates: selective expansion of a CD16+ monocyte subset with phenotypic similarity to primate natural killer cells​

D H Munn 1, A G Bree, A C Beall, M D Kaviani, H Sabio, R G Schaub, R K Alpaugh, L M Weiner, S J Goldman
And how long were you in Wuhan?

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
Might wanna just stay north of the Mason Dixon then. They exist here too, they like woods as well as desert.

I had to shut off my water one day to fix a leak. I opened the meter cover, and low and behold a bright orange scorpion was living in the meter well, standing next to the shut off valve. I poked it with a stick and it ran off under the meter. Never saw it again.

For the most part bugs are harmless and want no trouble. I like to put spiders and mantises on plants for pest control.

yea..I stay north of the M/D line for one big reason....it is too hot and humid below it!! I even feel C-bus is too far south for my climatological comfort!! I am a "North of the 45º Wanna be"

and that is one reason why I won't kill spiders in the house...pest control. Again, unless they are on me...I wish we had more mantis' here...my sister has tons in her yard

Sakae2xBopster

Regular Poster
I even feel C-bus is too far south for my climatological comfort!!

We moved from C-bus to Jax a few years ago (yep, Urban M followed us down here). Without that hard freeze each winter the bugs can get pretty numerous. We don't mind spiders in the house, though. We consider them our friends. If one is too big, we just put a plastic container over it, slowly slip a piece of cardboard under, and then carry it outside.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
We moved from C-bus to Jax a few years ago (yep, Urban M followed us down here). Without that hard freeze each winter the bugs can get pretty numerous. We don't mind spiders in the house, though. We consider them our friends. If one is too big, we just put a plastic container over it, slowly slip a piece of cardboard under, and then carry it outside.

yeah...I feel like the freeze is the moderator for sure. I could not live without the cold for many reasons

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
We are still in an ice age so we get cold and frozen precipitation. There have been at least 5 Ice ages during history of earth-the one we are in now started about 2.5 million years ago. But still of the 4.5 billion years of Earth's history only about 10% of it's history has there been any ice-and one (maybe two) ice ages had ice to equator-snowball earth. If not for this extended interglacial our human population would have never reached it's current size-nor likely evolved the diversity. After reading a paper related to PETM -which was last time earth had no ice just before Age of Mammal. There was a massive dump of carbon dioxide over a 20-50k period rising to 650-3500 ppm-the whole warm spell lasted about 200k years. The cause uncertain-though lots of hypotheses. Anyways this article I was reading found evidence it took about 100,000 years for the oceans to absorb the huge load of carbon dioxide that warmed the earth during that period. That's crazy first it was at least a hundred years then at least a 1000 years for oceans to absorb the excess carbon we are producing and now if anything like past a hundred thousand years.

Just deleted my FB account. Mostly what I see are folks complaining and spurting opinions to an online presence, what good will it do? It has turned into a place where people vent and feel better about themselves but nothing actually improves. I'd rather spend my time in person with real folks, real friends making real music to play out somewhere. Our band will still have a FB page to promote things but that's about it. From a personal FB point of view, I'm done. There are more constructive ways to help change your world if that is you intent.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
Just deleted my FB account. Mostly what I see are folks complaining and spurting opinions to an online presence, what good will it do? It has turned into a place where people vent and feel better about themselves but nothing actually improves. I'd rather spend my time in person with real folks, real friends making real music to play out somewhere. Our band will still have a FB page to promote things but that's about it. From a personal FB point of view, I'm done. There are more constructive ways to help change your world if that is you intent.

the chains are off!! You should start immediately experiencing feelings of natural calm, joy, contentment; a new connection to nature, people around you.... awesome!