Yet Another Newbie!

I'd say it's a fair deal (not great) ....... if you were buying off eBay, Reverb, GC used ..... by the time you pay for shipping, you're at $500. If you can get the seller to come down $50 or $100, way mo better.

Those shells are gonna be either Philippine Mahogany, Philippine Mahogany/Falkata, or possibly Birch, Philippine Mahogany, Falkata. The all Birch shells started in 2008.
I've seen those SCs sell for about $200, so 500 seems very expensive to me. But I agree that the Pearl set is a nice deal due to the cymbals, fresh heads and hardware.

I've seen those SCs sell for about $200, so 500 seems very expensive to me
I haven't seen a $200 SC in quite a while. Once the pandemic hit, and the "supply chain issues" started to get real, used prices started to go up. I'm on eBay and Reverb pretty much every day. GC used gear at least once a week. Craigslist bout the same. Looking for add-ons for my SC and my Yamaha 8000. Cheapest SC kit right now (that isn't ridden hard and put away wet), is a green Standard for $300 + $100 to ship ..... and it's got a hanging floor tom.

Picked up this pad today for a quiet practice pad and a snare drum feel. I like it

I also stumbled on some USA Ludwig Mahoganies for $700 as a shell kit that are tempting. More will be revealed!! What do you think of those?

Last edited:
I also stumbled on some USA Ludwig Mahoganies for $700 as a shell kit that are tempting. More will be revealed!! What do you think of those?
Only Ludwig Mahogany's I'm aware of, are the current line of Legacy Mahogany ..... which are $3K+ (for a 3 piece). If it's THOSE, then YES, YES, YES !!! I have a hunch .... for $700, we're not dealing with those ;) So, I'd have to know more. next two best things, from Ludwig, would be a 60's/70's 3 ply shell kit, that someone took the wrap off of (there would be Mahogany wood under the wrap) .... and then it was refinished. (I've got one, pictured below .... just a 22x14 bass drum). That's would/could be in the $700 range ..... or ...... they did offer a factory Mahogany finish. But a factory finish would probably fetch more than $700. But more info., please, on the Luddie kit.
1 c.jpg

Only Ludwig Mahogany's I'm aware of, are the current line of Legacy Mahogany ..... which are $3K+ (for a 3 piece). If it's THOSE, then YES, YES, YES !!! I have a hunch .... for $700, we're not dealing with those ;) So, I'd have to know more. next two best things, from Ludwig, would be a 60's/70's 3 ply shell kit, that someone took the wrap off of (there would be Mahogany wood under the wrap) .... and then it was refinished. (I've got one, pictured below .... just a 22x14 bass drum). That's would/could be in the $700 range ..... or ...... they did offer a factory Mahogany finish. But a factory finish would probably fetch more than $700. But more info., please, on the Luddie kit.
View attachment 121463

All I know is it is from the 80's and USA made. I'll go get a better look.

62 yr old bassist here too and did the same thing five years ago. Did a bit at school decades ago so had some idea. Biggest thing Ive taken from it is that drums need to be carefully setup just like any other instrument and there I thght for years you just plonk them together....noway! hahaha. Anyway I had a lot of fun but I've gone back to bass now..I couldn't hack the schlep and the cost of constantly upgrading....sooo much lovely drum stuff to buy...Ive got no self control apparently!

All I know is it is from the 80's and USA made. I'll go get a better look.
Thru the 80's ..... the Classic kit was 6 ply, maple/poplar, and they did have a Mahogany stain (pictured a 1988 kit). Modular hardware is a little bit chunky, but tough. I had a full 6 ply kit. Excellent drums. Look into this, yeah. I'd take these over the Yamaha, Tama & Pearl kits mentioned.

Thru the 80's ..... the Classic kit was 6 ply, maple/poplar, and they did have a Mahogany stain (pictured a 1988 kit). Modular hardware is a little bit chunky, but tough. I had a full 6 ply kit. Excellent drums. Look into this, yeah. I'd take these over the Yamaha, Tama & Pearl kits mentioned.

Thanks, decent price?

Thanks, decent price?
I think so. If it's a 6 ply. Of course, condition is important. Here's a Reverb page. 3 kits are the 6 ply. The $500 kit is a Rocker, which was Ludwig's lower line, at the time. The $799 concert tom kit, is priced too high ..... but with used gear .... what a seller asks, and what a seller will take ..... sometimes two very different things. The $2100 is also high, but it's got a 24" bass drum.

This is the kit I am looking at 24x14 Bass, 13, 14, 15, 16 Tom's with mounting hardware. Owner calls it NC Monroe Classic set if that exists I don't know
Ludwig moved production from Chicago to Monroe, I think 1985, for the Classic series (all production). Before that, they made the Rocker/Rocker II in Monroe, but the Classics in Chicago. Those are the real deal. Standard L-arm (not modular) .... both were available. Nice kit. Looks like hanging floors, 15x14 and 16x15, would be my guess. Way better kit, than the Pearl, Tama, Yamaha options we were discussing earlier.

As Harryçonway has mentioned in his post they seem like real good drums If I was you I would jump on them before someone else takes em.

In post #11 eleven I mentioned possibly getting the Pearl kit for the hardware and then upgrading the shells. The Luddies are at a shop that takes trades, so I should get something for them.

....I also stumbled on some USA Ludwig Mahoganies for $700 as a shell kit that are tempting. More will be revealed!! What do you think of those?
This is the kit I am looking at 24x14 Bass, 13, 14, 15, 16 Tom's with mounting hardware. Owner calls it NC Monroe Classic set if that exists I don't know

View attachment 121508

If that's the kit for $700, and it was local for me, I'd be posting pics of them as my new drum set.

Those are some big ass drums, but maybe you're a big guy. If not, maybe you could adjust them to them.

Last edited:
If that's the kit for $700, and it was local for me, I'd be posting pics of them as my new drum set.

Those are some big ass drums, but maybe you're a big guy. If not, maybe you could adjust them to them.
Yeah I am by no means a big dude. Worth a shot though!

Back