Yamaha Manu Katche Hip Gig Jr. for Bebop?

Neal Pert

Regular Poster
I've been thinking of getting one of the original Manu Katche Hip Gigs for years. I thought it could be really cool to use as a bop kit with single ply coated heads or Skyntones or whatever. Any thoughts?

I'm interested to hear from anyone who's using one of these kits but I'm 99.9% certain I'll never play backbeat music on it.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I don't see why not ..... if a 16" kick will "do it for you". I have one of those kits. And I much prefer the originals Philippine Mahogany shells over the later kits Birch shells. I personally don't use the matching snare. And I'm debating switching out the metal triple flange bass hoops to wood. The lift (Yamaha duck foot) design is killer. Yamaha has never disappointed me in hardware design. I think it was first used on the DAXDAD. It's been around quite a while. I'm considering installing one on my Stage Custom 18x15.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 7

rstange1

Go for it. I had one one of these kits years ago. Part of me still wishes I still had it. These kits are somehow way more than the sum of their parts. Incredible sound from such modest drums.
IMG_3482.jpeg

s1212z

Drum Expert
I sold mine, but kept the hardware. 16” was a bit too deep for my tastes but a fun portable set for sure.

Neal Pert

Regular Poster
I have not ruled out getting the 16" bass drum cut down to 12. Nor have I ruled out wooden bass drum hoops eventually. But I'll wait til mine arrives before making plans.

vyacheslav

I use mine for jazz, and they sound great! It could handle a light rock gig and any coffee house pop or singer/songwriter type gig with ease. Is it the older model with the vertical grain wood (Phillipine Mahogany) or the new birch model? What color did you get? Mine is the Ultra Violet (Purple metallic lacquer) and it looks very cool. Mine is the older, vertical wood grain model.

The only thing I don' like is the 12" snare. It sounds cool, but it's just too small for a "main" snare. Too hard to play brushes and too hard to get a good cross-stick sound from it. These would sound great with any single ply head. I've used Coated Ambassadors, UV1's and Skyntones. All really sound good.

Stixnergard2

The Manu Katche kit started the micro kit craze. I bought mine back in 2002 IIRC. Great kit for all kinds of music. I don't use the 12" snare, usually
an Acrolite snare
Dscn5724.jpg

Neal Pert

Regular Poster
Yamaha Manu Katche Hip Gig.JPG

I got this kit, an Indonesian-era jawn in a dark purple sparkle lacquer which looks black except in the sunlight. Mahogany shells.

The drums arrived tuned to general-purpose pitches and sounded remarkably great right out of the box. The previous owner clearly knew how to get a great sound out of the kit. But I don't want this as a general purpose kit-- this is my bebopper. So, it was time for reheading. Happily I found pretty much all the heads I needed were already on my shelf, so I got to work.

I realized a bit too late that I was lacking a 13" UV1 at home but I've reheaded everything but the 13" batter head. Final head setup will be:

16: UV2 batter, UV1 reso
13: UV1 batter, G1 clear reso
10: UV1 bater, G1 clear reso
12: Has a J1 batter and stock reso; for how little I'll use this drum, that's fine and I probably won't touch it.

I'm finding that tuning them just below what I'd normally think of as bebop tension and tuning top and bottom heads to the same pitch gives me a fantastic, VERY usable sound. I can't wait to get these on a jazz gig, though I do have a few weeks to wait.

Some guy on the Yamaha forum was insisting very strongly that I needed to swap out the hoops in order to make it sound great. People can be silly.

Anyway, thanks for all the tips and feedback! I have wanted one of these for a long time, and I couldn't pass them up at this incredibly low price.

Last edited:

roncadillac

I personally would say just get a pearl midtown BUT if it has to be the above kit or Yamaha in general then yea, they'll work fine. Tony used big rock sized drums and he is considered one of the best ever. Player not the gear. Plus, you can tune any drums into a bop range and the smaller diameter of the Yamaha kit in question would naturally speak in the higher tones associated with bop drum sounds.

roncadillac

View attachment 109811

I got this kit, an Indonesian-era jawn in a dark purple sparkle lacquer which looks black except in the sunlight. Mahogany shells.

The drums arrived tuned to general-purpose pitches and sounded remarkably great right out of the box. The previous owner clearly knew how to get a great sound out of the kit. But I don't want this as a general purpose kit-- this is my bebopper. So, it was time for reheading. Happily I found pretty much all the heads I needed were already on my shelf, so I got to work.

I realized a bit too late that I was lacking a 13" UV1 at home but I've reheaded everything but the 13" batter head. Final head setup will be:

16: UV2 batter, UV1 reso
13: UV1 batter, G1 clear reso
10: UV1 bater, G1 clear reso
12: Has a J1 batter and stock reso; for how little I'll use this drum, that's fine and I probably won't touch it.

I'm finding that tuning them just below what I'd normally think of as bebop tension and tuning both heads to the same pitch gives me a fantastic, VERY usable sound. I can't wait to get these on a jazz gig, though I do have a few weeks to wait.

Some guy on the Yamaha forum was insisting very strongly that I needed to swap out the hoops in order to make it sound great. People can be silly.

Anyway, thanks for all the tips and feedback! I have wanted one of these for a long time, and I couldn't pass them up at this incredibly low price.
Sorry, I responded to your OP without reading your follow up haha. Nice kit!!!! I love the wrap, cool sizes, should be a great little bop kit, and bonus points for the Evans heads. I'm a huge proponent of small drums, I don't play jazz but I've used small drums in all of my "rock band" settings for years.