Yamaha 100th anniversaty.. worth pursuing?

Store it and remember it well. I got a 10-12-13-16 setup in my drums, and the 13 is on a shelf, right over there. :(

Or, maybe, a drop fill and a careful wet sand might work. ;)

Floor toms look great. I realize you can't play as a set yet, but have you had a chance to at least hit em individually?

Right? I'd probably be working out one-handed beats, just to hear those drums. :)

I've got mixed feelings. While I love that you got these, and are restoring them, I also hate that by doing so you're driving up the price when you finally sell them to me. ;)
well no need to worry.. I won't be selling unless you wanna buy me a 6pc SQ2 set :)

Floor toms look great. I realize you can't play as a set yet, but have you had a chance to at least hit em individually?

I have hit the 10-12-16 just with a really quick tune on them..
My DW's were kind of boomy and deep.. The only way i can really describe these is focused, totally different sound. I'm kinda dying to hear them together.. but no rush. People don't like deep toms it seems.. but the 10x10 is like a little canon, i really like it..

Now i need to off my dw's i don't wanna be one of those guys with 10 kits laying around.

I have hit the 10-12-16 just with a really quick tune on them..
My DW's were kind of boomy and deep.. The only way i can really describe these is focused, totally different sound. I'm kinda dying to hear them together.. but no rush. People don't like deep toms it seems.. but the 10x10 is like a little canon, i really like it..

Now i need to off my dw's i don't wanna be one of those guys with 10 kits laying around.

My Yamaha kit is also older and also has the high-tension lugs, and the toms I use are 10x10, 12x10, and 16x14. I understand the cannon thing. ;)
Tbh, the 16x14 doesn't have the longer lugs, but it's such a very nice drum that I don't mind.

My Yamaha kit is also older and also has the high-tension lugs, and the toms I use are 10x10, 12x10, and 16x14. I understand the cannon thing. ;)
Tbh, the 16x14 doesn't have the longer lugs, but it's such a very nice drum that I don't mind.

16x14 actually sounds nice to me... I rarely use my FT as it's so boomy, new one sounds much tighter, i also added 4 cotton balls to see if that helps..

One thing i have been wanting to do is try setting up a symmetrical kit with a 10 in the middle then a 12 on each side and so on.. I'm natually left handed but play right so i can roll both ways pretty good.. Kinda tired of moving drums around at the moment though :) Like this here... BTW.. Aaron is awesome.. one of my favorite teachers when i was at drumeo.

So... got the kick and 2 toms setup... so far i hate it :( I am so used to my old drums which were maple and super warm.. I will play with tuning more and try it through the mics when i get time.
P.S. being new to micing a kit i got to learn how much fun it is re-arranging a kit with cables snaked through it :(

Last edited:
So... got the kick and 2 toms setup... so far i hate it :( I am so used to my old drums which were maple and super warm.. I will play with tuning more and try it through the mics when i get time.
P.S. being new to micing a kit i got to learn how much fun it is re-arranging a kit with cable snaked through it :(
Maybe just part of the adaptive curve, maybe heightened expectations as yet unmet- I advise tuning, maybe different heads, and time to learn from each other. :)

Maybe just part of the adaptive curve, maybe heightened expectations as yet unmet- I advise tuning, maybe different heads, and time to learn from each other. :)
Yup, i have played the same kit since i started, just used to it.. I will sauy the Avedis or whatever 22" ride was a let down.. zero magic :)

That made my day too.
Just one more step closer to them being mine. :devilish: ;)

All joking aside, it sounds like you like the sound of your old maple kit, so it would be pointless, futile and a huge waste of money to try to get these to sound like your old kit. Think about it.
No waste of money... i already own em :) I will play with it as i can... need this damn arm to heal...

P.S. I can't believe how strong the tom mounts are.. no bouncing at all...

Last edited:
How would you describe the sound of the Yamahas? What’s your other set?
My old set is DW Design series, which isn't a expensive kit but they sound great and super warm.. the yammys so far have no warmth at all.. just lacking any soul which might sound weird.. but i am gonna work on it between eating pain killers.. :)

Reactions: A J
Anyone know what series/model thisd stand would be? from 87.... just curious what i have.. damn heavy also.
2021-06-30 14.29.53.jpg

Back