Yamaha 100th anniversaty.. worth pursuing?

Icetech

Gold Member
My Yamaha kit is also older and also has the high-tension lugs, and the toms I use are 10x10, 12x10, and 16x14. I understand the cannon thing. ;)
Tbh, the 16x14 doesn't have the longer lugs, but it's such a very nice drum that I don't mind.

16x14 actually sounds nice to me... I rarely use my FT as it's so boomy, new one sounds much tighter, i also added 4 cotton balls to see if that helps..

One thing i have been wanting to do is try setting up a symmetrical kit with a 10 in the middle then a 12 on each side and so on.. I'm natually left handed but play right so i can roll both ways pretty good.. Kinda tired of moving drums around at the moment though :) Like this here... BTW.. Aaron is awesome.. one of my favorite teachers when i was at drumeo.

Icetech

Gold Member
So... got the kick and 2 toms setup... so far i hate it :( I am so used to my old drums which were maple and super warm.. I will play with tuning more and try it through the mics when i get time.
P.S. being new to micing a kit i got to learn how much fun it is re-arranging a kit with cables snaked through it :(

Last edited:

wraub

So... got the kick and 2 toms setup... so far i hate it :( I am so used to my old drums which were maple and super warm.. I will play with tuning more and try it through the mics when i get time.
P.S. being new to micing a kit i got to learn how much fun it is re-arranging a kit with cable snaked through it :(
Maybe just part of the adaptive curve, maybe heightened expectations as yet unmet- I advise tuning, maybe different heads, and time to learn from each other. :)

Icetech

Gold Member
Maybe just part of the adaptive curve, maybe heightened expectations as yet unmet- I advise tuning, maybe different heads, and time to learn from each other. :)
Yup, i have played the same kit since i started, just used to it.. I will sauy the Avedis or whatever 22" ride was a let down.. zero magic :)

J-W

so far i hate it

That made my day too.
Just one more step closer to them being mine. :devilish: ;)

All joking aside, it sounds like you like the sound of your old maple kit, so it would be pointless, futile and a huge waste of money to try to get these to sound like your old kit. Think about it.

Icetech

Gold Member
That made my day too.
Just one more step closer to them being mine. :devilish: ;)

All joking aside, it sounds like you like the sound of your old maple kit, so it would be pointless, futile and a huge waste of money to try to get these to sound like your old kit. Think about it.
No waste of money... i already own em :) I will play with it as i can... need this damn arm to heal...

P.S. I can't believe how strong the tom mounts are.. no bouncing at all...

Last edited:

Icetech

Gold Member
How would you describe the sound of the Yamahas? What’s your other set?
My old set is DW Design series, which isn't a expensive kit but they sound great and super warm.. the yammys so far have no warmth at all.. just lacking any soul which might sound weird.. but i am gonna work on it between eating pain killers.. :)

Reactions: A J

Icetech

Gold Member
Anyone know what series/model thisd stand would be? from 87.... just curious what i have.. damn heavy also.
2021-06-30 14.29.53.jpg

Icetech

Gold Member
so... got it somewhat setup.. i have always had my ride where the 13 inch is.. it feels weird.. tuning is better, the 10 and 12 sound awesome.. the 13 is ok at best.. will get there :) Best part of all of this is the sabian thin crash that came with the kit.. it sounds amazing and matches my current cymbals perfectly :)

P.S. the tom mount is backwards intentionally..
2021-06-30 18.21.53.jpg

2021-06-30 18.22.10.jpg

J-W

Those look gorgeous, and I know pics don't even do them justice. :love:

Congrats on that purchase and you did a great job cleaning them up. (y)

Bozozoid

Wow..loooong story short..if it's possible. I ordered a piano black kit 80's. 22..10..12..14..16. Got them. Set them up..tuned for half an hour and my heart nearly stopped. No length to the tone..brittle sounding...no low end. I heard Larrie London's kit on Steve Perry's street talk CD. Much different than my kit...MUCH different. I wrote Larrie a letter and told him of my dilemna. He wrote back and couldn't have agreed more with my assessment. Sent me a cassette of what the late AL Duffy from Pearl did to the bearing edges. They looked at the yamaha R.C. edge which was thee problem. A new edge was put on all of his toms which Larrie said brought a rich..warm..low end sustain to the toms. He left the bass drum alone..the deafness in that drum was fine. Larrie tried to call me but I was gone at the time so a lengthy cassette was made and sent my way. Unfortunately I'd sold the kit befor I got the edge work done. Larrie also informed yamaha of his thoughts and they disagreed with his feelings on the drums. How do you disagree with at the time..one of thee most sought after Nashville studio drummers of the time. Anyway..thats a looping story as short as I could make it.

wraub

so... got it somewhat setup.. i have always had my ride where the 13 inch is.. it feels weird.. tuning is better, the 10 and 12 sound awesome.. the 13 is ok at best.. will get there :) Best part of all of this is the sabian thin crash that came with the kit.. it sounds amazing and matches my current cymbals perfectly :)

P.S. the tom mount is backwards intentionally..
View attachment 105860

View attachment 105861

My kit came with 10,12,13 also. I tried it for a while, but the 13 is on a shelf now. Hope you like yours better. :)

Icetech

Gold Member
My kit came with 10,12,13 also. I tried it for a while, but the 13 is on a shelf now. Hope you like yours better. :)
haha i feel it might end that way, but i'm going to give it a try for sure,.. got them tuned decently...

I think i like tuning too low, i was watching one of weckls weekend streams last night and his drums are tuned inanely high to me.. like his 16" sounds higher than my 10..