Yamaha 100th anniversaty.. worth pursuing?

dwsabianguy

Thanks and please lemme know how the performance 2 is.. i LOVE the repsonse 2's, i think the performance are a bit more open.. i use texture coated on my snares...
P.S. the AQ coating is amazing it pretty much lasts forever..

Performance 2s are Aquarian's Pinstripe and are glued between the plies around the edges. Very dark, thuddy, short sustain, quite a bit more controlled than Response 2s, which are even a little dark and short for my taste.

That kit is really coming together! Looks great so far!

Icetech

Gold Member
Performance 2s are Aquarian's Pinstripe and are glued between the plies around the edges. Very dark, thuddy, short sustain, quite a bit more controlled than Response 2s, which are even a little dark and short for my taste.

That kit is really coming together! Looks great so far!

Thanks.. doing all of this with 1 arm is a pain :) I ended up soaking the snare wires in a mix of salt/vinegar for bout 15 minutes and they came out looking new.. wish i had some baking soda here to stop the acid.. but a good rinse and a night in front of the fan should be ok... could be worse :)
Think i'll bring the 12" to work tomorrow....

Icetech

Gold Member
K... This extended snare setup is just weird, cannot get it to sound decent at all.. I thought my rogers were a pain but at least they paid off for the headaches with amazing sound :)

Working on the 12" tom today... sorry bout all the updates but i don't know anyone into drums and i need to babble :)

Icetech

Gold Member
Very cool!!!!

Congratulations!

Make sure you share them on the Yamaha groups on FB too.

I think that group is dead.. I did join one with 22k members though.. cant post in it yet

Icetech

Gold Member
polishing the 13" and found the only knick in all the shells :( I cant live with this!!
2021-06-24 11.26.21.jpg

wraub

Store it and remember it well. I got a 10-12-13-16 setup in my drums, and the 13 is on a shelf, right over there. :(

Or, maybe, a drop fill and a careful wet sand might work. ;)

wraub

Floor toms look great. I realize you can't play as a set yet, but have you had a chance to at least hit em individually?

Right? I'd probably be working out one-handed beats, just to hear those drums. :)

Icetech

Gold Member
I've got mixed feelings. While I love that you got these, and are restoring them, I also hate that by doing so you're driving up the price when you finally sell them to me. ;)
well no need to worry.. I won't be selling unless you wanna buy me a 6pc SQ2 set :)

Icetech

Gold Member
Floor toms look great. I realize you can't play as a set yet, but have you had a chance to at least hit em individually?

I have hit the 10-12-16 just with a really quick tune on them..
My DW's were kind of boomy and deep.. The only way i can really describe these is focused, totally different sound. I'm kinda dying to hear them together.. but no rush. People don't like deep toms it seems.. but the 10x10 is like a little canon, i really like it..

Now i need to off my dw's i don't wanna be one of those guys with 10 kits laying around.

wraub

I have hit the 10-12-16 just with a really quick tune on them..
My DW's were kind of boomy and deep.. The only way i can really describe these is focused, totally different sound. I'm kinda dying to hear them together.. but no rush. People don't like deep toms it seems.. but the 10x10 is like a little canon, i really like it..

Now i need to off my dw's i don't wanna be one of those guys with 10 kits laying around.

My Yamaha kit is also older and also has the high-tension lugs, and the toms I use are 10x10, 12x10, and 16x14. I understand the cannon thing. ;)
Tbh, the 16x14 doesn't have the longer lugs, but it's such a very nice drum that I don't mind.