Yamaha 100th anniversaty.. worth pursuing?

It's supposed to have extended wires. That's the point of that strainer system. It's very similar to the Tama Mastercraft roller strainer system.

Ah.. just came back to say i just read bout that... i never heard of extended wires before, i just thought that this had the wrong wires... so the rollers make sense then so the wires get pulled straight out instead of up and out..

Thanks for the help guys... just wanna do things properly if i can :)

Another vote here to keep and enjoy the color as-is... I think it looks great. :)

Also, is the chrome rusted, or pitted? If it's got rust, a coke bath can help- pitting, not so much ime.

Those screws adjust and retain the rollers. The holes in the bracket are slotted so that the rollers can move up and down.
yup, got it.. just never saw a setup like this... still easier than my rogers:) I really need to sell that drum.. since getting a greb snare i don't see me using anything else again..

Reactions: J-W
Another vote here to keep and enjoy the color as-is... I think it looks great. :)

Also, is the chrome rusted, or pitted? If it's got rust, a coke bath can help- pitting, not so much ime.
Pitting, luckily small but you can feel it after polish.. no big thing, gonna just clean it and be happy..

Just ordered some heads i'm missing for it.. Gonna steal the response2's off my DW's since they are like new and picked up the 13" i'm missing.. so cheaper than expected:)

Kinda wanna try Performance 2 heads since they are closest to pinstripes.. but don't feel like dropping another 100 i don't need to.

I've been wanting to do this myself. I've been playing pinstripes for decades and have read good things about the Aquarians. Let me know how they work out if you decide to go that route.

I played remo for my first 5 years and got used to re=tuning every single night... AQ's stay in tune amazingly well and sound awesome.. plus the company is amazing.. i had a bad head out of the box, sent a pic and they overnighted 2 heads to me... can't beat great service:)

Good to know. (y) I have always hand picked my Remos because I find duds too often. I think I'll order a Performance 2 for one of my toms to see how they'll do.
Good luck with that beautiful Yamaha kit!
Thanks and please lemme know how the performance 2 is.. i LOVE the repsonse 2's, i think the performance are a bit more open.. i use texture coated on my snares...
P.S. the AQ coating is amazing it pretty much lasts forever..

Oh. I was under the impression that the response 2s were more open and the performance 2s were more dampened, but I have zero experience with Aquarian heads, despite having heard great things about them over the past couple of years. I may have to order one of each.
well according to AQ the performance is made for lower tuning and the response can just do it all..

Reactions: J-W
got the 10 inch done.. took bout 5 hours in total.. used a rubbing wheel to clean up the finish and then some wax and polished all the chrome as well as i could.. The 100th anv badges are a pain.. the wheel didn't take off any writing, but did make the gold a little less gold, i will be removing them for now on and hand polishing :(
I brought the snare into work today to start one, the wires are in good shape other than corrosion, nothing bad but a thin layer which will deaden them, was curious if anyone has ideas for cleaning them? soak in something?

View attachment 105612
View attachment 105613

View attachment 105614

I love how good the bearing edges are.. they make my DW's look like a kid did them with a butterknife..
View attachment 105615
Don't touch the finish. I think the "yellowing" looks way better than the original color under the lugs! It's now an amber finish that looks like it was intentional from the beginning. I love it!

Thanks and please lemme know how the performance 2 is.. i LOVE the repsonse 2's, i think the performance are a bit more open.. i use texture coated on my snares...
P.S. the AQ coating is amazing it pretty much lasts forever..

Performance 2s are Aquarian's Pinstripe and are glued between the plies around the edges. Very dark, thuddy, short sustain, quite a bit more controlled than Response 2s, which are even a little dark and short for my taste.

That kit is really coming together! Looks great so far!

Performance 2s are Aquarian's Pinstripe and are glued between the plies around the edges. Very dark, thuddy, short sustain, quite a bit more controlled than Response 2s, which are even a little dark and short for my taste.

That kit is really coming together! Looks great so far!

Thanks.. doing all of this with 1 arm is a pain :) I ended up soaking the snare wires in a mix of salt/vinegar for bout 15 minutes and they came out looking new.. wish i had some baking soda here to stop the acid.. but a good rinse and a night in front of the fan should be ok... could be worse :)
Think i'll bring the 12" to work tomorrow....

K... This extended snare setup is just weird, cannot get it to sound decent at all.. I thought my rogers were a pain but at least they paid off for the headaches with amazing sound :)

Working on the 12" tom today... sorry bout all the updates but i don't know anyone into drums and i need to babble :)

Very cool!!!!

Congratulations!

Make sure you share them on the Yamaha groups on FB too.

I think that group is dead.. I did join one with 22k members though.. cant post in it yet

polishing the 13" and found the only knick in all the shells :( I cant live with this!!
2021-06-24 11.26.21.jpg

Back