X32: DI Box OUT to Mic In or AUX In?

OliverATX

Hello!

I hope everyone is doing great!

Here is yet another question for the smart folks on the board.

I am having a hard time understanding why I would run the output of my DI channels into a regular (Mic Pre) channel on the X32, rather than into an AUX In. I have 4 channels coming out of my DI box, a direct Bass signal, direct Guitar signal, Roland SPD-ONE and a synth (I am also mic'ing the Guitar cab and bass cab, but that is besides the point).

The question is why I would go from the balanced XLR OUT from the DI box to a standard input XLR (Mic Pre) channel on the X32? Why would I not rather go into one of the 6 (balanced) TRS AUX inputs? If I come out of the DI box, I would not utilize the Mic Pres anyways, correct? So, why waste them?

Maybe I am misunderstanding something, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Best,

Oliver

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
The job of the DI is to take a high impedence signal (like a guitar or keyboard 1/4” plug) and convert it to a low impedence XLR signal to go to a channel input at the board.

I’m not sure why you’d want to plug into an AUX IN since that’s not a channel input where you can affect gain, EQ, and other routing.

If your console has 1/4” inputs on each channel, then you may be able to avoid using a DI box altogether.

OliverATX

The job of the DI is to take a high impedence signal (like a guitar or keyboard 1/4” plug) and convert it to a low impedence XLR signal to go to a channel input at the board.

I’m not sure why you’d want to plug into an AUX IN since that’s not a channel input where you can affect gain, EQ, and other routing.

If your console has 1/4” inputs on each channel, then you may be able to avoid using a DI box altogether.
Yes, I get the function of the DI box and not all of the signals that I am passing through it are high impedance. However, I do not think there is any harm in passing the synth for example through the DI box. The X32 has no XLR/TRS combo ports and since I have DI ports to spare it is an easy way to plug all my TRS stuff into the front of the rack. The DI box will let me adjust levels.

Also, the X32 lets you adjust gain/trim on the AUX IN ports as well as apply EQ. The AUX ports can also be routed within the X32.

I would rather keep the standard inputs that have Mic preamps for actual mics and am not clear on the downside of using the AUX IN ports.

Thank you!

Oliver

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Yes, I get the function of the DI box and not all of the signals that I am passing through it are high impedance. However, I do not think there is any harm in passing the synth for example through the DI box. The X32 has no XLR/TRS combo ports and since I have DI ports to spare it is an easy way to plug all my TRS stuff into the front of the rack. The DI box will let me adjust levels.

Also, the X32 lets you adjust gain/trim on the AUX IN ports as well as apply EQ. The AUX ports can also be routed within the X32.

I would rather keep the standard inputs that have Mic preamps for actual mics and am not clear on the downside of using the AUX IN ports.

Thank you!

Oliver
Well, if your X32 allows, I guess it can’t hurt. I come from a traditional sound reinforcement background where I didn’t use Aux inputs that way (and I still don’t on my Yamaha TF system). So I’ll have to look into the X32 and discover why this is a thing with their that console.
But usually, if I’m mixing a band, I want everything coming in on a proper input channel so I can edit/route signals The same way for every input plugged in.