Wrapping My Tiny Brain Around…

• Thread starter Deleted member 526375
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 526375

…using Remo tom heads with Evans bass drum and snare heads. I know, I know, it shouldn’t bug me, but it does! 🤣😵‍💫

Black dots on the toms, hydraulic on the bass drum, and UV1 on the snares. My OCD brain has a hard time reconciling it, but my ears are overriding my brain. Definitely first world problems.

Thanks, that felt good to get off my chest. 😄

Currently 2 stock Premier batters/resos, 1 Aquarian Hi-Energy over Evens 300, 1 Evan's G2 over nothing.

There are other drums not currently in use with non-matching heads too. Yet they always seem to work just fine together once the instrument gets played.

Dont even ask about cymbals.

It's funny because I have OCD. Not just saying that, but actually have quirks and rituals that involve repetition to alleviate mental anguish, and the inability to stop thinking about certain subjects once engaged in the thought process. Having all different heads and cymbals does not bother me. Sticks used to, but I use AHEAD now, so no more issues there.

My throne, and its position in relation to the pedals and snare is the biggest offender. I swear its always off by millimeters and is never correct. I have a throne with a bolt so I dont worry about height moving anymore.

When I am done playing I turn off the snares. I must recheck it a few times before I'm satisfied and can leave.

Wut?
316A546E-E099-424D-8E8F-11C63B91B957.jpeg
EMAD, UV1, Amb, Vintage Amb, and if I’m not mistaken an Aquarian Regulator on the kick reso in this shot.

Evans made a head similar to the black dot, but it used a metal dot. That would’ve had to have been late-noughties to early tens? I had a set on a Starclassic B/B kit and they killed under mics.

Last edited:
Much to my chagrin, I can’t stop using the EMAD kick drum batter head. The damn thing just works. It’s become my default bass drum batter head. EVERY OTHER HEAD ON EVERY OTHER DRUM I OWN IS A REMO. (6 kits, dozens of snares.)

No bashing of Evans heads on my part, but I just do not care for the sound their products produce on any drums other than the bass drum. I try to use various Remo bass drum heads from time to time, but they just don’t do what the EMAD does. I try to put as little muffling in the bass drum as I can get away with. I can put far less muffling in the bass drum when I use the EMAD than I have to with any Remo bass drum batter head I’ve tried to achieve similar results.

If you were to come around and stand behind my kit, you’d see all the Remo crown logos meticulously placed away from the drivers seat. There is order and uniformity there. But dig beneath the surface of the toms and snare drum. When I look lower, all I see is the Evans logo staring back at my stupid face.

It’s mocking me, I’m utterly convinced of it.

...if it works it works🤷‍♂️

Brotha, if only my brain, ahem, worked that way. Life would be so much easier. I can understand what your statement means and can rationalize my mismatched head setup in theory. Still, I hyper-focus on it to my mental detriment.

I could list a million other scenarios where the OCD manifests itself, but I’ll add just one other music-related trigger for me that seems very unrealistic, yet is very real to me. One of my main reasons for switching from Giant Beats to 602s recently (after a year of using the Giant Beats) was because they’re all a different color.

They were different shades of green and brown that bugged me enough to affect my thought process at gigs. Ultimately, I switched due to sound, but the color difference between the GBs was a significant factor. Here’s a pic to show what I’m talking about.

2A313449-EE96-46E8-AF84-AD8628612881.jpeg

Brotha, if only my brain, ahem, worked that way. Life would be so much easier. I can understand what your statement means and can rationalize my mismatched head setup in theory. Still, I hyper-focus on it to my mental detriment.

I could list a million other scenarios where the OCD manifests itself, but I’ll add just one other music-related trigger for me that seems very unrealistic, yet is very real to me. One of my main reasons for switching from Giant Beats to 602s recently (after a year of using the Giant Beats) was because they’re all a different color.

They were different shades of green and brown that bugged me enough to affect my thought process at gigs. Ultimately, I switched due to sound, but the color difference between the GBs was a significant factor. Here’s a pic to show what I’m talking about.

View attachment 124510

What throne are you using?

Here’s a pic to show what I’m talking about.

2A313449-EE96-46E8-AF84-AD8628612881.jpeg
Oh man your carpet is killing me.

Those expansion joints in the concrete, I'd line up with those. Maybe centered, maybe using the lines as edges. Either way I'd spend almost the whole gig staring at them looking for crooked.

There is a (small) hump along the edge, under the floor tom. I'd need to fix that before putting any drums up there. If it happens after I set up, I'll remove stuff to fix it.

The cord mess the tattooed individual is standing in needs to be fixed also. Or at least removed from my view. That's a disaster waiting to happen I'll just stare at and wait for.

Oh man your carpet is killing me.

Those expansion joints in the concrete, I'd line up with those. Maybe centered, maybe using the lines as edges. Either way I'd spend almost the whole gig staring at them looking for crooked.

There is a (small) hump along the edge, under the floor tom. I'd need to fix that before putting any drums up there. If it happens after I set up, I'll remove stuff to fix it.

The cord mess the tattooed individual is standing in needs to be fixed also. Or at least removed from my view. That's a disaster waiting to happen I'll just stare at and wait for.

And when I look at that photo all I think is "Mmmmmmmmmmmmm a deep piano black Noble and Cooley snare!" I like neat, clean, and orderly too, but obviously GAS runs a lot stronger in me! :p

View attachment 124510
I hear ya bud - I have the wingnuts on my stands either exactly vertical or exactly horizontal - the logo's on my heads have to be dead centre and even moon gels get put on symmetrically, but somethings - like one Evans head amongst the Remo's - don't bother me at all (as long as the logo's straight :LOL:)
OCD is weird......

…using Remo tom heads with Evans bass drum and snare heads. I know, I know, it shouldn’t bug me, but it does! 🤣😵‍💫

Black dots on the toms, hydraulic on the bass drum, and UV1 on the snares. My OCD brain has a hard time reconciling it, but my ears are overriding my brain. Definitely first world problems.

I totally understand. It's so bad for me I can't even focus if my heads look different even if from the same company (for example: UV1 on snare and Hydraulic glass on toms).

Whatever works. I'll use an Evans snare batter with a Remo snare-side. Or an Evans bass drum reso with a Remo batter.
Heads are expensive, so while I'm sort of transitioning to mostly Remo, I will still use an Evans head if I already paid for it.
You don’t get free heads? Man, life can be so cruel ;)

Bro...I'm of the mind to do black dots on the toms, coated hydraulic on the snare and the EMAD bass! :oops:
It took me quite a while to nail down what sounded good on the kit I have. So you're not alone in "being weird". ;)

I have 3 sets of cymbals, and they all match in brand name.
I have three drum sets. They are all Ludwig.
I only play Vic Firth sticks.
My drum cases match.
My family all drive Toyota vehicles.
My three kids all have names that begin with vowels.
Just about all of my firearms are of the same brand name.

However, on my primary drum set, I use Remo coated Ambassadors on the batters, and Remo Ambassador clears on the resos. The kick? Evans EMAD, and it'll always be an Evans EMAD.

Back