Wood beater suggestions?

Thoughts on these ones?

View attachment 98184
I have these on my Tama double pedal. They are lighter than the stadard two-sided Tama beaters that came with the IC Jr. pedal. Just make sure you get two that are nearly exactly the same weight, as the weight of the maple can vary like a pair of sticks. These have really improved the performance of the pedal, and I don't have to worry about angle adjustment in the radial position. Very happy with mine.

Looking for more attack/click from my double bass playing. I'm using a speed cobra, currently with the standard beaters that came with it (silicon rubber or similar contact surface).

This one seemed like the obvious choice, but reviewers claimed that it goes out of adjustment while playing.

I have those on my double pedal (IC Power Glide). Got those after i was fed up with replacing the felt beaters twice a year because they wore out so fast. I have the same issue with the Tama CB900 Power Strike beater (those come with the newer IC pedals) and replaced them with the Accu strike beater, just to experience the same issue. Going to replace them with the wooden IC beaters. Like how they feel and above else the sound they produce. I've always used kickpads on my bassdrum heads, but when i played house kits that didn't have them on i didn't even dent the bass drum head. Just make sure you don't burry the beater in the head and you're fine :)

I have those on my double pedal (IC Power Glide). Got those after i was fed up with replacing the felt beaters twice a year because they wore out so fast. I have the same issue with the Tama CB900 Power Strike beater (those come with the newer IC pedals) and replaced them with the Accu strike beater, just to experience the same issue. Going to replace them with the wooden IC beaters. Like how they feel and above else the sound they produce. I've always used kickpads on my bassdrum heads, but when i played house kits that didn't have them on i didn't even dent the bass drum head. Just make sure you don't burry the beater in the head and you're fine :)

Hmm... See my comment from a few posts ago, same applies to the ic flat beaters. I am very heavy footed, I usually bury the beater, and I play very busy bass drum with a lot of single foot doubles. The only ic beater I ever had fail on me was a rubber one (it literally melted after a few hours of playing). All of my felt ones have lasted years. Early on I would noticed a slight wear of the upper half of the beater, never anything major, but that coincidentally disappeared the moment I switched to Evans and started using their clear eq bass drum patch instead of the remo kevlar patch I had always used prior.

I have those on my double pedal (IC Power Glide). Got those after i was fed up with replacing the felt beaters twice a year because they wore out so fast. I've always used kickpads on my bassdrum heads,
My speed cobra beaters wore out very fast and I thought it was the beaters, now I think it was the patch that I was using. I use wood Danmar beaters a lot so I always have a patch on my kick. Some patches are rougher than others, on my newest drum I'm using a clear Evans patch which is as smooth as a clear head.

Thoughts on these ones?

View attachment 98184
i have the felt version of these on a single dw5000 pedal and it feels and sounds awesome,only thing i use the edge position and i need a heavy bd patch,since the beater dents the head very quickly

My speed cobra beaters wore out very fast and I thought it was the beaters, now I think it was the patch that I was using. I use wood Danmar beaters a lot so I always have a patch on my kick. Some patches are rougher than others, on my newest drum I'm using a clear Evans patch which is as smooth as a clear head.

Yeah i was just thinking that yesterday. I've been using Evans EQ Patch (nylon) for years and that might be the reason i go through the beaters so fast. They have a rougher surface and that could be eating the felt away. Never thought that could be the reason o_O

Evans-EQ-Double-Pedal-Patch.jpg

Do not use these with a wood ball beater:

downloadfile-10.jpg

They have a ~1/8" thick piece of hard plastic under the sticker that will eventuall break and can puncture the head. Get the one with the metal disk instead.

@Mastiff you can make impact pads the old school way if you so choose. Quarters underneath an impact patch works. Patches cut out of milk jugs work also. Just make sure if you go the homemade route the material wont break and puncture the head.

Yeah i was just thinking that yesterday. I've been using Evans EQ Patch (nylon) for years and that might be the reason i go through the beaters so fast. They have a rougher surface and that could be eating the felt away. Never thought that could be the reason o_O

Evans-EQ-Double-Pedal-Patch.jpg
I don't think I've used one of the Evans patches like that before. But that might be your problem. I think I was using Remo flam slam patches. I do remember seeing something like baby powder around the head or the beater hit I just never put two and two together.

Do not use these with a wood ball beater:

View attachment 98318

They have a ~1/8" thick piece of hard plastic under the sticker that will eventuall break and can puncture the head. Get the one with the metal disk instead.

@Mastiff you can make impact pads the old school way if you so choose. Quarters underneath an impact patch works. Patches cut out of milk jugs work also. Just make sure if you go the homemade route the material wont break and puncture the head.

Weird. I've never had an issue with the Danmar power center patches breaking and cutting the head.
Quarters? They've broke and killed a few of my kick heads.
The metal Danmar patches are too much on a 22" kick. I loved them when I had 24" kicks, but I find they're just too overwhelming on a 22" kick for me.

I love the IC wood beaters.

Yes, those rough textured patches were sanding down my speed cobra beaters something fierce. Little rubber sawdust bits were all over. I decided to go without a patch instead, but I'll probably go back to a strong patch with the wood beaters. The UV emad head is pretty tough though.

Weird. I've never had an issue with the Danmar power center patches breaking and cutting the head.
Quarters? They've broke and killed a few of my kick heads.
The metal Danmar patches are too much on a 22" kick. I loved them when I had 24" kicks, but I find they're just too overwhelming on a 22" kick for me.

I love the IC wood beaters.
Crazy. Same idea, completely opposite results. I would destroy the ? out of the Danmar patches so I switched to quarters.

Perhaps the size and weight of beater makes a difference?

Now I use plastic beaters and a patch made from adhesive speaker cabinet carpet. It's a synthetic plastic fiber, so it actually has a decent click to it.

I was using DW beaters when I was breaking quarters 20+ years ago.
I got the IC wood beaters somewhere around 2001, and I was already using the power center patches by then. I can see the disk cutting through a head, but I've only had one or two disks break over 20+ years of use. I only used quarters for about a year, and have about $1.25-1.75 in broken quarters which fortunately only cut 2 heads. I have a bag with broken quarters in it somewhere.

I don't think I've used one of the Evans patches like that before. But that might be your problem. I think I was using Remo flam slam patches. I do remember seeing something like baby powder around the head or the beater hit I just never put two and two together.

That was the reason i stopped using Remo falam patch. Felt dust everywhere. Guess that after switching to the Evans equivalent my retarded brain didn't realize 'mmmm same thing' .

Have used the Danmar discs kick patch, but the sticker let go quite easily. Didn't like the feel as well. Guess it's back to those see through patches

Back