Wish list 2022

I want to greatly expand my personal collection of the cymbals I sell, Cymbal & Gong: additional 20" and 22" jazz rides, 20" Merseybeat ride, we're doing a 22" Billy Higgins-type cymbal, I want one of those; some 15" light hihats, 14" Second Line swish cymbal, 18" Turk ride. 20" heavy patina Janavar (Giant Beat style) crash/ride with rivets. Lots of things.
Just checked out the site; those are some fine lookin' pies. Is there anywhere in eastern NC to see/hear some in person?

A bespoke all-maple drum kit with traditional sizes, robust modern hardware, and a nice looking finish (thinking of red-yellow sparkle fade).
I toyed with the idea of a concert tom kit, but then I found that I could get a similar attack by tuning up the batter and down the reso. This way I could still get a normal, double-headed tone, by simply tuning down the batter and up the reso.
(EDIT: oops, I found the body of the tone still different. Don't worry, I've already got a nice, double-headed kit for that sound)

A more balanced cymbal collection, including Zildjian (or Sabian), Paiste, and possibly Wuhan.
Need to let some of my unused old cymbals go, e.g. my old Avedis Zildjian. Don't worry, I won't really lose any money on it.

A Yamaha DTX Multi-12, to replace my Roland SPD-30 (I prefer my electronic drums to be more of a synthesiser than a sample pack)

What I've already bought:
  • A Jinbao hammered-copper snare drum, and a pair of aluminium die-cast hoops for it.
  • A Zildjian Symphonic French cymbal (an orphan cymbal from a pair). I use it as a thin crash or crash-ride.
  • A Korg Volca Sample drum machine

Last edited:
A bespoke all-maple drum kit with traditional sizes, robust modern hardware, and a nice looking finish (thinking of red-yellow sparkle fade).
I toyed with the idea of a concert tom kit, but then I found that I could get a similar attack by tuning up the batter and down the reso. This way I could still get a normal, double-headed tone, by simply tuning down the batter and up the reso.

A more balanced cymbal collection, including Zildjian (or Sabian), Paiste, and possibly Wuhan.
Need to let some of my unused old cymbals go, e.g. my old Avedis Zildjian. Don't worry, I won't really lose any money on it.

A Yamaha DTX Multi-12, to replace my Roland SPD-30 (I prefer my electronic drums to be more of a synthesiser than a sample pack)

What I've already bought:
  • A Jinbao hammered-copper snare drum, and a pair of aluminium die-cast hoops for it.
  • A Zildjian Symphonic French cymbal (an orphan cymbal from a pair). I use it as a thin crash or crash-ride.
  • A Korg Volca Sample drum machine
Phew, sounds like you’ll be busy this year! Look forward to some pics!:D(y)

My wish for 2022 is for the three snares, bass drum and hardware I ordered last year to arrive this year. Mid March will be a year since I placed the order for a Starphonic Aluminum Snare. I’m told April for all of it, but they didn’t specify April of 2022 or 2023 😜

My wish for 2022 is for the three snares, bass drum and hardware I ordered last year to arrive this year. Mid March will be a year since I placed the order for a Starphonic Aluminum Snare. I’m told April for all of it, but they didn’t specify April of 2022 or 2023 😜
Wow! That’s some proper Paiste patience right there!👏:)(y)

Well, since it was my birthday yesterday I've decided (with the approval of my wife) to get a few birthday presents. Hoping to get my new credit card soon so i can order;

Paiste 18" 2002 Novo China
Zildjian 17" K Custom Dark Crash
2 Gibraltar 4" Cymbal stackers
A PC-8 clamp and 2 pairs of VF maple SD9's

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that i might grab a 6" Tama Concert Tom (double headed) too when my 13" arrives. Nice black finish and think i'll put that one and the 8" over the hats.

Last edited:
I have been looking hard at kits. I found a Ludwig Neusonic 3 pc that was a return and going for 1/2 price basically. But, that baby blue satin finish just makes me
want to yack a hairball. Plus, I saw a review on YouTube, I think it was Drummer's Review?? The spurs are a bit flimsy, or however he described. And it doesn't matter now because the kit sold last night.

I was also looking at Tama Starclassics and Tama Superstar Classics. I'm just not sure how much I want to spend. I'm not a gigging drummer. I'm not in a band. How frickin' bad
do I need a $1700 kit? But, I found a finish (wrapped), and it is THE ONLY ONE available in this color. I called yesterday and Tama has discontinued it. I just won't spend that amount. I have a feeling I'll go with the less expensive Superstar classic, and do a nice wrap job on some Tama shells I have. 🤷‍♂️

@Odd-Arne Oseberg was sharpening his archery skills to prep for the legal slaughter of countless innocent Norwegian animals (or was it lead guitarists?! (;))),

The irony here is also that I've made substantially more money as a lead guitarist than as a drummer.

Has a little bit to do with me quitting playing fulltime and mostly teaching since I took up the drums, but I still get hired more often for guitar.

Strangely, decent guitar players are more rare than drummers in these parts.

I wish I could eat Vinnies brain and gain some of his ability. That would be fantastic.

Sounds like a serious cymbal mate…:unsure::)(y)
I hesitate between the fast crash and the full crash, in 17" though but great choice anyway.

Normally in December we get a "13th month", which basically is an extra bonus besides the vacation pay we get in may. So that got me thinking...
I've been wanting bigger and washier cymbals for ages and also wanting something different after using a big setup for the last decade.
Knowing myself this might change at any moment, but for now i think i want to do a complete overhaul of my setup and at the end of this year get what I'm craving:
Paiste 2002 Big Beat 16" hats, 20 and 21 or 22" for the crash spot, 24" for the ride spot. 8" 2002 splash, 20" PSTX Swish Crash on the left side.

20" PSTX Swish Crash on the left side.
It’s a Swiss crash. Like the cheese. I have one. It’s a monster cymbal. Very loud when struck hard, or a low-sounding waterfall when played on its edge.

Used during the chorus sections of this tune (the ride used during the piano solo is a Paiste 20” Signature Mellow ride).

I’m fortunate enough to have an update on my list. Originally I had:
17” Paiste Sig crash
19” Meinl Byzantine Medium Thin Trad crash
15” hats and >20” ride
Gibralter stealth rack for my floor tom side
Refurb on my Speed King
a small kit for my 5 year old

I purchased the 19” about a month ago and the stealth rack a few days ago. I think my next target will be the 21 or 22” ride.
Scratch another one off my list!
D1F2CDAA-5467-4617-829D-C7D8BA078A00.jpeg

Back