Wish list 2022

This year, I'm getting some new cymbal sounds and stuff for recording/shows this spring with my band.
Going with Zildjian A Custom.
15" Mastersound hats, 20" Crash (probably a couple), and 22" Ride.
I've checked out the Projection, and the Med Ride offerings as well, but I prefer the standard versions.
Possibly a 20" S series thin crash as well. That one has a pretty cool sound and a great sustain.
I've been using larger (24") and fairly washy rides for the last 15+ years, and I'm feeling a little more "ping" is what I'm wanting lately.

Funny, because 20+ years ago, when the regular A line just sucked, and I couldn't get a good sounding 20" A crash AT ALL (after 8 tries) the Zildjian sales rep was in the shop and said, "we have the A Custom you might like..." I said, "I just want what I was always able to get, and now I CAN'T". I was NOT into brilliant cymbals then, at all, PLUS, they had just discontinued a favorite of mine, the 20" A Swish cymbal....
I went to Sabian in '00, and was very happy, and in '09 I started getting into Paiste too.
I have (or had) basically anything I could want from those 2 brands. Now, I'm just hearing something different, and my sonic needs in my band are changing with what the music is doing.
Everything old, is new again....
Sounds like you know what you need mate. Have you hung on to your Sabian and Paiste cymbals? Your ears may well return to them some day…:)(y)

Sounds like you know what you need mate. Have you hung on to your Sabian and Paiste cymbals? Your ears may well return to them some day…:)(y)
Oh, I'm not selling any of my Sabian or Paiste cymbals haha! ...6 months later, he.... haha!
I KNOW better, but, from listening to what we've done, new songs I'm getting ready to record, and sound files from those particular A Customs, I'll be trying them out at least.
I've had the "you know, that AVH 24" Big Ride (WITH "finger guy" haha!) sounds awesome at home, and when AVH is recording with it, but it's not sitting right for MY band in our recordings".....
I laugh because 22 years ago, I was a big "NO!" with those same A Custom cymbals haha!
For 10+ years, I have been using only 24" rides as well....

I already ordered it, but on number one is the 13x10" tom i ordered for my kit. Pearl officially doesn't make the Masters BCX line anymore, but i asked them nicely and said please... so less than 6 months and it will be here ;)

2nd place is a 17" K Custom Dark crash. Would love to have 4 crashes again and this one will fit nicely into my current setup.

And maybe new heads. Thinking of changing my setup once the 13" tom comes in and while i'm at it give coated Emperors for my toms a try. Still doubting on that though, every time i switch to coated heads i revert back to clear heads after a few months.

EDIT: how could i forget... i also want an 18" 2002 Novo China hehe

Last edited:
Woah! That’s a stunning cymbal my friend!!:D(y)
I know it’s been a little over a month since this thread was active but I wanted to share I got an even better wish! 😃
I got a 20” Murat Diril Harvey Mason sig. crash ride with two rivets and this has to be my favorite cymbal I’ve ever heard! Coming in at 1784 grams, it’s dry, trashy and the added two rivets and big cluster hammer marks on the bell make it sound like blowing sand! I can just hear the snare comping along as I play it by itself. And something else cool I found out is that these aren’t your standard B20 cymbal, these are B27 which is really fascinating! Am definitely going to be checking out more of their stuff!

Attachments

• 881CE7A2-51B9-4543-A2D7-A5590E79B6B4.jpeg
    881CE7A2-51B9-4543-A2D7-A5590E79B6B4.jpeg
    457.4 KB · Views: 15
I know it’s been a little over a month since this thread was active but I wanted to share I got an even better wish! 😃
I got a 20” Murat Diril Harvey Mason sig. crash ride with two rivets and this has to be my favorite cymbal I’ve ever heard! Coming in at 1784 grams, it’s dry, trashy and the added two rivets and big cluster hammer marks on the bell make it sound like blowing sand! I can just hear the snare comping along as I play it by itself. And something else cool I found out is that these aren’t your standard B20 cymbal, these are B27 which is really fascinating! Am definitely going to be checking out more of their stuff!
Really pleased for you mate. Sounds like you’ve found a forever cymbal and it is a tasty looking pie to boot! Keep smashing it!!:D(y)

Well Al! I was taking a break from posting here when you started this thread. Just read through most of it.

Yes, I still have much to do. My "rat rod" Premier shell project is still 1/2 arsed and sitting. I have another set of Tamas I need to finish refurbishing. And I'm planning on selling
3 or 4 kits. I'd like to get something new. Could be brand new or used, just depends.

I'm looking at Ludwig Neusonics, and Tama Superstar Classics (Sweetwater has some 3-pc setups that are on pre-order).
I was also looking at the Ludwig Centennial Bohnam setup--it's currently on preorder and on sale at Guitar Center? But, I just saw some posts about the Centennials not living up to similar offerings at that price point. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not a huge Ludwig fan. But, I really dig some of the Neusonics.

I may sell another snare or 2.

I don't do a heckuva lot of refurb work in the winter. It kills my hands--arthritis. So hopefully, it warms up soon so I can get my motor running.

Like Darth mentioned, traveling sounds awesome. But I'm def weary these days.

I would love to see the anti-asian CRAP STOP!!!! I worry about my sister constantly. But her hubby is with her most times nowadays.

Well Al! I was taking a break from posting here when you started this thread. Just read through most of it.

Yes, I still have much to do. My "rat rod" Premier shell project is still 1/2 arsed and sitting. I have another set of Tamas I need to finish refurbishing. And I'm planning on selling
3 or 4 kits. I'd like to get something new. Could be brand new or used, just depends.

I'm looking at Ludwig Neusonics, and Tama Superstar Classics (Sweetwater has some 3-pc setups that are on pre-order).
I was also looking at the Ludwig Centennial Bohnam setup--it's currently on preorder and on sale at Guitar Center? But, I just saw some posts about the Centennials not living up to similar offerings at that price point. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not a huge Ludwig fan. But, I really dig some of the Neusonics.

I may sell another snare or 2.

I don't do a heckuva lot of refurb work in the winter. It kills my hands--arthritis. So hopefully, it warms up soon so I can get my motor running.

Like Darth mentioned, traveling sounds awesome. But I'm def weary these days.

I would love to see the anti-asian CRAP STOP!!!! I worry about my sister constantly. But her hubby is with her most times nowadays.
Great to hear from you mate…so lots in the pipeline before the joys of a new kit including some spring/summer refurbs?!:D(y) Once you’ve eliminated the Luddies from your hit list I look forward to an exciting thread about your brand new Pearl kit (this response is brought to you in association with @C.M. Jones )!;):ROFLMAO:(y)

I’m fortunate enough to have an update on my list. Originally I had:
17” Paiste Sig crash
19” Meinl Byzantine Medium Thin Trad crash
15” hats and >20” ride
Gibralter stealth rack for my floor tom side
Refurb on my Speed King
a small kit for my 5 year old

I purchased the 19” about a month ago and the stealth rack a few days ago. I think my next target will be the 21 or 22” ride.

An end to people with too much money trying to decide how the rest of us will live.
An end to suffering.
Something more like equality of treatment and opportunities for all people.
My hearing back.
And maybe some cable hats, I think I'd like to try those.

I’m fortunate enough to have an update on my list. Originally I had:
17” Paiste Sig crash
19” Meinl Byzantine Medium Thin Trad crash
15” hats and >20” ride
Gibralter stealth rack for my floor tom side
Refurb on my Speed King
a small kit for my 5 year old

I purchased the 19” about a month ago and the stealth rack a few days ago. I think my next target will be the 21 or 22” ride.
Nicely done my friend, nicely done!:D(y)👏

Great to hear from you mate…so lots in the pipeline before the joys of a new kit including some spring/summer refurbs?!:D(y) Once you’ve eliminated the Luddies from your hit list I look forward to an exciting thread about your brand new Pearl kit (this response is brought to you in association with @C.M. Jones )!;):ROFLMAO:(y)
I've always been a fan of Pearl drums. Last night I listened/watched a vid on maple kits. The Pearl Decade kits were also in my eyeline. But, they sounded strange in that particular video. I need to do a bit more research. The Ludwigs. . . . .I like the idea of maple/cherry. I have nothing with cherry.

CM!!!! What's the verdict on the Decades? I just need to do more research probably. . . . .

CM!!!! What's the verdict on the Decades? I just need to do more research probably. . . . .
I've never had a Decade Maple, but its reputation is pretty solid -- quality shells, rugged hardware, and so on. My only complaint would be that the 22" bass has eight lugs and the 16" floor tom has six lugs, whereas I like a 22" with ten lugs and a 16" with eight lugs. Those aren't deficits in the eyes of all players though. If the Decade appeals to you, it should hold up well over many years of persistent use.

Honestly, though, I think the Export is just as reliable. It's among the most heavily gigged kits ever for a reason. Compare the two series carefully in accordance with your tastes.

I've never had a Decade Maple, but its reputation is pretty solid -- quality shells, rugged hardware, and so on. My only complaint would be that the 22" bass has eight lugs and the 16" floor tom has six lugs, whereas I like a 22" with ten lugs and a 16" with eight lugs. Those aren't deficits in the eyes of all players though. If the Decade appeals to you, it should hold up well over many years of persistent use.

Honestly, though, I think the Export is just as reliable. It's among the most heavily gigged kits ever for a reason. Compare the two series carefully in accordance with your tastes.

I was this close 🤏 to buying a Decade Maple 3-pc last February. Then I found the DW kit for $100 under what I normally would see it for, anyway. The Decade at the time, was $529 new. Now, $200 MORE. I think that has more to do with my disdain of the kit than anything.

I never consider the Export. I have a couple similar "work horse" type kits, lower level. Darth, believe it or not, has inspired me to get something a little nicer! Just a little. 😇

For 2022, I wish all U.S. corporate news media could only publish truth and fact. Like, if they tried publishing propaganda, they'd take a 7-figure financial hit every time someone opened that web page, and that money went back to citizens via tax refund "bonuses".

Or, even better, I wish US citizens could identify false stories & propaganda instead of living like lemmings.

That and a Power Tower rack set up.

For 2022 I wish the following things:
- start playing drums with a band
- find more time to study drums while doing sports 5/6 times a week
- spend less money on gear
- spend less time on internet forums
- spend more time with my family and my dogs

Back