Why so many drum products are out of stock

IBitePrettyHard

S-Hoops have been out of stock for seemingly forever. (Specifically the 14" 8 hole variety in chrome) It seems like it's been close to a year now! So I emailed Drum Factory Direct to ask them if they knew why. Their response could shed some light on why so many products are out of stock right now. (especially products from Taiwan)

"I believe that this is mainly a supply chain issue, as well as a transit problem. Factories in Taiwan (where most of this stuff is manufactured) are getting hit by another spike in Covid, so they are shutting back down.​
Our industry (as well as most other industries) is also having trouble securing containers to ship parts in. There is a major shortage of shipping containers right now, so a lot of companies are having trouble getting their products into the country."​

I suspect that drumhead orders have also seen a boost over the last year, even though gigs have been scarce. The pandemic has been an epoch of experimentation for many drummers. We've had the downtime to try things we might not have troubled with previously.

Our industry (as well as most other industries) is also having trouble securing containers to ship parts in. There is a major shortage of shipping containers right now, so a lot of companies are having trouble getting their products into the country.

And in some cases, there are additional delays at "the port" while observing covid safety protocols. although that usually entails weeks rather than months of delay.

Same thing as appliances, wood, PVC, cars, and everything else: thebjmkacrs of COVID has destroyed the supply chain.

I've been waiting for 13" and a 16" coated emperor heads for 4 months now. Coated emperors, it's not like they are rare or anything.

Yes, things are a bit messed up I'd say.

I've been waiting for 13" and a 16" coated emperor heads for 4 months now. Coated emperors, it's not like they are rare or anything.

Yes, things are a bit messed up I'd say.
you know there’s a problem when your drum store doesn’t stock AMBASSADORS

it’s a real problem, i think i’m going to have to be careful with my drum heads because i’m going to be out of options when they break

There are many countries that manufacture items we use that are still locked down which effects production and export (see: Canada, lumber). There are disruptions along the entire supply chain right down to the raw materials that are mined. Patience is even more of a virtue lately. To give one example from my industry: Toro is so far behind in production due to material shortfalls that orders for the Reelmaster 3550 mower won't get filled until January 2022 at the earliest.
All products are having supply issues, it's not just drums.
Think about how many products use zinc, copper, steel, etc and how behind those mining operations are.

it’s a real problem, i think i’m going to have to be careful with my drum heads because i’m going to be out of options when they break
We open outside a nightclub. Someone comes out a side door into an alley. As the door opens, we can hear chatter from the club, which fades as the door closes again.
The person leans up against the brick wall outside and sighs. We don't know it yet, but this person is a musician.
A shadowy figure in a long trench coat approaches.

FIGURE: Trouble, fella?
MUSICIAN: You know there is.
FIGURE: The usual?

The musician doesn't reply.
It's dark enough that we can't see the shadowy figure's face, but we can see light glint off the figure's teeth as a grin appears.

FIGURE: So.

The shadowy figure opens his trench coat. We can see that hanging from the inside of the coat are several white circles.

FIGURE: Wanna buy a Remo Ambassador?

Back