Why is “White Marine Pearl” so popular?

I just hate wraps for my own stuff. I've had some bad experiences with wraps and satin finishes.

Just for my curiosity I ask, Do you gig?

I own / have owned, and gigged both wrapped and lacquered kits. From a gigging perspective I think a wrap is a much better option simply for it's durability as it is harder to damage. I flip the hell out when I see the first scratch, chip, gouge in a beautify finished shell. I take care of my stuff meticulously, but it is inevitable to get "wear" when gigging.

I own / have owned, and gigged both wrapped and lacquered kits. From a gigging perspective I think a wrap is a much better option. But then again, I flip the hell out when I see the first scratch, chip, gouge in the finish/shell. I take care of my stuff meticulously, but it is inevitable to get "wear" when gigging.
Yeah but not anywhere near as much as I used to. Couple times a year. LOL..... Used to be 4 times a week back in the stone age. That's a fair point you make though. I don't like wraps mostly because of issues I've had with head fitment. Some wraps go all the way up and some have a gap between the bearing edge and where wrap starts. Not cool. I had a Saturn tour kit I bought used for cheap and jeesh, whoever put that wrap on must have been out on the loading dock at 420. What a mess. 2" inch over lap on some of the seams, uneven, gap at the bearing edge. It was just dreadful. Couldn't sell it fast enough.

I own / have owned, and gigged both wrapped and lacquered kits. From a gigging perspective I think a wrap is a much better option simply for it's durability as it is harder to damage. I flip the hell out when I see the first scratch, chip, gouge in a beautify finished shell. I take care of my stuff meticulously, but it is inevitable to get "wear" when gigging.

I agree about the durability of wrap. In addition, rewrapping is simpler than refinishing. I don't like wrapped snares, but I have no problem with wrapped toms and bass drums.

I'm not trying to put anybody's kits down. I just hate wraps for my own stuff. I've had some bad experiences with wraps and satin finishes. Seams coming unglued, heads not fitting over the top of the wrap, discolorations etc etc. Hey, if it works for ya, Bless ya. I'll bet there's uglier drums than yours out there. Let's see some pics.

Oh, I know you meant no offense and none was taken. If my kit is going to get ridiculed around here (and it will), the wrap would be the last reason. The amount of toms, depth of shells (especially the bass drums), polished cymbals, unnecessary weighted boom stands, custom rack, etc, etc, would take priority over the fact that it has a wrap.
As mentioned, I think a wrap is more durable than a lacquered finish. I was thankful for that many times on the road during hasty tear downs.

The white balance on cameras tends to make my kit look whiter than it is, so I don't have many that show it's true "nicotine-ness", but these are pretty representative of it's true color.
IMG_4525 S.jpg
IMG_6868 S.jpg

Oh, I know you meant no offense and none was taken. If my kit is going to get ridiculed around here (and it will), the wrap would be the last reason. The amount of toms, depth of shells (especially the bass drums), polished cymbals, unnecessary weighted boom stands, custom rack, etc, etc, would take priority over the fact that it has a wrap.
As mentioned, I think a wrap is more durable than a lacquered finish. I was thankful for that many times on the road during hasty tear downs.

The white balance on cameras tends to make my kit look whiter than it is, so I don't have many that show it's true "nicotine-ness", but these are pretty representative of it's true color.
View attachment 94472
View attachment 94473

Nice-looking kit, J-W. It's SIGNIFICANTLY larger than anything I've ever played, but I'm sure you've chosen a sizeable setup for a very good reason.

You might have gathered from my previous posts that white is my preferred shell color for toms and bass drums. It's always unimposing and tasteful.

Last edited:

View attachment 94472
View attachment 94473
Wow !! That's wild looking. The drum room looks like a museum. Gong action too. What's not to like? I wouldn't mind taking a few swings on that. Beautiful kit.

In general, I too am very much not a fan of wraps. But there are a few exceptions:

1HlYInX.jpg

bB42G56.jpg

(Both of those are from reddit user GOTaSMALL1.)

Nice-looking kit, J-W. It's SIGNIFICANTLY larger than anything I've ever played, but I'm sure you've chosen a sizeable setup for a very good reason.

Thanks. I chose it for the lounge, jazz gigs I was doing a few years back. ;) Kidding aside, it would come as no surprise that I played in metal bands with it back in the late 80's / early 90's.

Wow !! That's wild looking. The drum room looks like a museum. Gong action too. What's not to like? I wouldn't mind taking a few swings on that. Beautiful kit.

Thanks. If I were to change anything it would be the finish, but I'm okay enough with it as-is that I probably won't ever bother. I've got far too many other projects including the "house" (it was built as a bank in 1920).
The "drum room" is actually my living room. Opposite the drums is the couch, big screen etc...

In general, I too am very much not a fan of wraps. But there are a few exceptions:

1HlYInX.jpg

bB42G56.jpg

(Both of those are from reddit user GOTaSMALL1.)

I gotta say that these make me feel much better about my "nicotine white" wrap. I'm not a fan of anything "diamond plate" unless I'm stepping on it and don't want to slip. I think the material (and even worse yet, the simulated look) got overused outside of it's intended purpose.
And that Holstein kit.......... ?

Back