Why I dislike certain drum owners

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Here’s an exchange I had with a member of a user group. I may have overkilled my response, but it’s attitude like this I don’t like from these drum owners. I think the drums are great - I just wish the owners weren’t so.....you know what I mean. It’d be funny if this guy is a member here - but if he was he wouldn’t have this attitude....

Attachments

• 2D846D96-4E5A-45D8-927A-BD208C304546.jpeg
    2D846D96-4E5A-45D8-927A-BD208C304546.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 315
I bought my Saturn V drums to keep. I installed a tom holder on the bass drum. When I stop drumming, I plan to give them to someone. I do not think modifying a drum set to improve it will make its value go down. Peace and goodwill.

The whole notion of recouping money via resale is overstated....even with DW collectors sets. People assume they’ll get 95% of their funds back if they sell. When I buy drums I buy em to make them 100% mine and don’t worry about recouping a % of my money. If I have to split hairs about recouping funds, then I’m not really in a financial position to be buying.

Drums are meant to be played. If you need to mod to make them comfortable for you go for it. Sometimes that mod can make all the difference. Funny enough, I have a post on here about how the install of the mount at issue in Bo’s post on my Gretsch Brooklyn totally changed my opinion of the kit for the better.
If the mod makes you play more it was worth it.

I have never bought a piece of musical gear with the idea that I am going to sell it or get rid of it

I think that comes from growing up poor. We were always taught that when you get something, you use it until it is unusable...then you duct tape it. Especially if it is something considered "upper end".

With this in mind, I research the hell out of a product before I lay out money for it...with drums and everything else mostly.

The only activity that I "buy for possible increased sell bac kvalue" is sports cards...and I don't really even do that that much. I collect cards to becasue of memories of the game, and players. I pretty much hoard cards honestly. I have many, many valuble cards, but do not plan on getting rid of them yet.

I dont get it. I too plan on keeping my stuff forever, so that whole resale thing is lost on me. Its also just stuff. I dont plan on selling it, but will if I must. Then I will just get more to try and keep forever.

We were always taught that when you get something, you use it until it is unusable...then you duct tape it.
Lol me too, but that 💩 dont work on a skateboard!

Hopefully we can all agree that this type of gear snobbery is not limited solely to DW owners. Try putting an aftermarket tom mounting system on any maker’s drums, post about it on said maker’s fanboy FB group, and the snobs will lose their sh!t.

I bought my Collectors so they have something to cremate my corpse with.

mine are getting put on a boat, and set on fire with me in a true Viking burial

I just wish the owners weren’t so.....you know what I mean.
Yeah ..... I know what you mean.

It's the Design Series, after all. They're supposed to be used and abused. Resale value :ROFLMAO:

I have never bought a piece of musical gear with the idea that I am going to sell it or get rid of it

I think that comes from growing up poor.

With this in mind, I research the hell out of a product before I lay out money for it...with drums and everything else mostly.

The only activity that I "buy for possible increased sell bac kvalue" is sports cards...and I don't really even do that that much. I collect cards to becasue of memories of the game, and players. I pretty much hoard cards honestly. I have many, many valuble cards, but do not plan on getting rid of them yet.
Totally agree!

Only thing I have that's worth a lot more than I paid for it is my record collection and that's going nowhere.

I think my Beatles collection is worth more than my Saturn V!

Didn’t you say that you sold your vintage Gretsch kit because you didn’t like the telescoping spurs and didn’t want to install modern spurs for fear of hurting the resale value? How is that any different from what this guy was saying?

BTW, resale value is a valid consideration when making any mods.

Lastly: “Like they never plan on keeping what they’re so proud to own.” Coming from you, Mr. New Kit Every Other Month, do you even realize how much of a hypocrite you sound like?

Last edited:
Yes.

The attitude displayed in that exchange can be seen over and over by brand snobs all over the internet.

I don’t know, his follow up seemed pretty relaxed (I’m a member of the same group)

Didn’t you say that you sold your vintage Gretsch kit because you didn’t like the telescoping spurs and didn’t want to install modern spurs for fear of hurting the resale value? How is that any different from what this guy was saying?

BTW, resale value is a valid consideration when making any mods.
You’re saying a vintage Gretsch USA Custom Kit from the late 70s is the same as a Taiwanese-made DW?

You’re saying a vintage Gretsch USA Custom Kit from the late 70s is the same as a Taiwanese-made DW?
Any mods that affect resale value is a valid argument, whether it’s a vintage Gretsch or a Taiwanese DW. If the guy doesn’t want to make a mod that affects resale value, that’s totally within his right. You don’t have to make a mockery of him on this worldwide platform.

..... vintage Gretsch USA Custom Kit from the late 70s is the same as a Taiwanese-made DW?
Yeah ..... that's were I draw the line, too. No modding vintage drums (when they're factory to start).

Back