Why Do Women Dislike Dream Theater and Snarky Puppy

bud7h4

Silver Member
Since we're speaking in generalities here, I'd say it's because the music of those bands is without strong melodies.

Strong? Do you mean catchy? Because DT's melodies are phenomenal.

bud7h4

Silver Member
RUSH--at least in their later years--had a fair representation of female fans.

And oddly . . . . fewer male RUSH fans, as they sounded increasing less like the earlier RUSH with fewer female fans. :LOL:

Erberderber

It's simple. Men are are interested in how things work. Women are interested in how things make them feel. With SP and DT, you are watching bands that show you how things work technically. Women go to gigs that satisfy them emotionally; the charismatic singer, the shared experience and songs they know.

Yes, I'm generalising and there are obvious exceptions, but when buying a car or a computer, a guy will be interested in the specs whereas a woman will see things like the colour or design as more important.

Personaliy, Snarky Puppy just leave me cold. Yes, amazing playing, but there's something very clinical and mechanical about them. Also I don't like the "look what I can do" factor when it comes to music. It goes far deeper than that. So maybe this is me showing my feminine side!

Last edited:

picodon

Silver Member
It's simple. Men are are interested in how things work. Women are interested in how things make them feel. With SP and DT, you are watching bands that show you how things work technically. Women go to gigs that satisfy them emotionally; the charismatic singer, the shared experience and songs they know.

Yes, I'm generalising and there are obvious exceptions, but when buying a car or a computer, a guy will be interested in the specs whereas a woman will see things like the colour or design as more important.

Personaliy, Snarky Puppy just leave me cold. Yes, amazing playing, but there's something very clinical and mechanical about them. Also I don't like the "look what I can do" factor when it comes to music. It goes far deeper than that. So maybe this is me showing my feminine side!
I listen to music because of how it makes me feel.
Guess I was born in the wrong body according to your theory 😂

Erberderber

I listen to music because of how it makes me feel.
Guess I was born in the wrong body according to your theory 😂

Me too! Of course I was generalising. We all like music because of how it makes us feel but I still think it matters more to women while men are more technically minded and that bands like DT and SP cater more to the male brain because of the technical aspects.

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
Unpopular personal opinion:

For a guy who likes space in music, technical complex music does nothing for me personally.

I listen to music that makes me feel good too, over the technical mechanics of it.

Doraemon

I‘d rather not comment much on the nonsense gendered brain myth stuff.. It‘s surely not black and white.
But for music, I don’t see why anyone would need to choose, music itself is a mixture of math and feelings. There are plenty of bands where you can both enjoy their technical ability, creative songwriting, skillful performance and the meaningful message or conveyed emotions. All of those at the same time. (Well, unless you’re a male, which means you can’t multitask, lol..)

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
Here's a thought. In the whole entire world, there are ~8B people. I would be willing to bet that most of them havent heard/havent heard of either DT or SP. Ergo, most people dont like them, regardless of gender, because you cant like something you are unaware of.

These discussions are silly. Some people like things, some dont. That's really all we can extrapolate from any of this. If you want to know the why, you must ask and accept every single reason. No two will be exact.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I like women. Not snarky one's though, I know enough men like that.

Here's a thought. In the whole entire world, there are ~8B people. I would be willing to bet that most of them havent heard/havent heard of either DT or SP. Ergo, most people dont like them, regardless of gender, because you cant like something you are unaware of.

These discussions are silly. Some people like things, some dont. That's really all we can extrapolate from any of this. If you want to know the why, you must ask and accept every single reason. No two will be exact.
So, you don't like discussions ... It's a drum forum ... intended for discussions. Why are you here?

incrementalg

Gold Member
When I was younger and DT was just taking off, I had friends who were die hard fans from the get go. All of those friends viewed the technical playing like it was a penis measuring contest. As if, those who can play the most intricate fill or riff or chord progression with the most accuracy and precision had the biggest unit. I don't know any women who are interested in math rock and measuring musical units.

wraub

Gold Member
Strong? Do you mean catchy? Because DT's melodies are phenomenal.
Again, generally speaking, I find their melodies often obscured by too many other things that, while often technically impressive, seem to do more to satisfy the players and provide fan service rather than contribute to meaningful songs. Generally speaking.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
So, you don't like discussions ... It's a drum forum ... intended for discussions. Why are you here?
Only discussions that impose pointless interjections about someone elses opinion without being able to look through their eyes.

I'm not a woman. Why on earth would you ask my opinion as to what they think? I can never make that parallel, nor can anyone who has never has estrogen as their main biologic influencer.

That's why I find these discussions silly.

TMe

Some people aren't all that interested in how the sausage is made. Listening to DT or Snarky is a bit like touring a sausage factory.

On another note, if you like Snarky, what do you think of this?

1 hit wonder

Dudes can't even agree on what they like. But the demographics are there to show that there are groups of people that do (and don't) appreciate them.
Just don't think that 1 person's opinion makes a rip in the world.

TMe

I'm not a woman. Why on earth would you ask my opinion as to what they think? I can never make that parallel, nor can anyone who has never has estrogen as their main biologic influencer.
I get what you're saying but, like all positions on this topic, if you take it too far, it becomes problematical.

Chauvinism is (mostly) a male problem, not a female problem. So it is appropriate for guys to talk about it. And gender relations is something everyone has an interest in. But, yes... it would probably be more informative to ask some women why they don't like prog rock. I suspect a lot of the comments here are from guys repeating what their sweeties have told them.