Why are Vater sticks cheaper???

Just looked on Amazon for these..... VF 5a's are 8.99 - cheaper than Vater 5a's at 9.99
The "goodwood" versions are 4.69 for 7a's but 8.99 for 5a's ...........
(Thats UK pounds and pence btw)

If they're longer lasting then I'd be happy to try them for the same price, but they don't appear to be the 20% cheaper as claimed:unsure:
Vic Firth 5a’s are $9.99 a pair on US Amazon. Vater 5a’s are $6.95 or $7.95 (depending on the version).

Vic Firth 5a’s are $9.99 a pair on US Amazon. Vater 5a’s are $6.95 or $7.95 (depending on the version).

I would gues to lure in people to try them over bigger names.. I will say.. Vater makes damn good sticks.. I have moved on to Weckls though and they are simply amazing....

I wish Vater had something along the lines of the VF Xtreme 5AN. The longer sticks feel way more natural on the Aquar Super Pads and the nylon tips last months on the Zildjian L80 cheese graters. No issues transitioning back to my Vaters when playing heads and real cymbals, but haven’t found any Vaters to feel the same as the X5ANs with the quiet setup. I’ve had to pay as much as 2x the price of Vaters…but they do hold up better. Even the Vater nylon tips are softer than VF and grind down way faster on the L80s. I was getting a couple of weeks max out of those vs 6 months+ on the VFs

All surprising considering the general consensus is the Vaters last at least 2x longer than VF. Definitely not the case in my example.

Back when I first started to drum, I'd take a rubber brick (practice pads were Ma Bell's telephone book back then) to the music store and try some rudiments in an effort to find a pair that sounded the same. [Concert drumming required a silky smooth drum roll.] When I came across Vater, my search was over.
Same with me, the tonal matching is what sold me. Price is not an issue for me. I use the SweetRide maple sticks and go through a pair a week.

I was a Fatback player for a good while before going to Ahead. Loved the more rounded nylon tips & balance. If I had any complaint, it was the level of shock transferred to my hands wasn't a good thing.
Other than that, they're better than most out there.

What I want to know....if Pearl made sticks, would CM chuck the Aheads? What would win? Legit question...Pearl loyalty or 58 gram sticks?

If Pearl made cymbals, would it be sayonara to the Avedis Zildjians?

What I want to know....if Pearl made sticks, would CM chuck the Aheads?
Only if Pearl made exact copies of the AHEAD sticks I use. That will never happen.
If Pearl made cymbals, would it be sayonara to the Avedis Zildjians?
Same as above. Pearl has made cymbals (pretty bad ones), but I've never wanted one. I'd be skeptical if they embarked upon a serious journey into the realm of bronze. Cymbal-making is no easy task. If you don't do it well, you shouldn't do it at all.

I guess the following question arises: Am I as loyal to Zildjian, AHEAD, and Remo as I am to Pearl? From a consumer standpoint, the answer is yes, to the extent that I buy only Zildjian cymbals, AHEAD sticks, and Remo heads. As long as those companies continue to make products I like, I have no reason to venture elsewhere. But if one went out of business, I wouldn't be as floored as I would by Pearl's demise. I have an emotional bond to the latter that doesn't exactly transfer to other brands. While I like to think that my gear choices are driven chiefly by substance and reason, there's more than a hint of nostalgia in my devotion to Pearl.

Example: When I bought my Avedis cymbals last year, I almost went with Paiste Giant Beats instead. But having conducted a comparative analysis, I concluded that the Avedis line had softer articulation and enhanced warmth, both of which won me over, so I remained in the Zildjian camp, where I've been for a very long time. On the contrary, I'd never look beyond Pearl when shopping for drums. Parochial? Sure. But that's the way I like it.

Back