Who's using a throne with a back rest?

I had a roc n soc with a backrest and did not like it all. Kept hitting the back with my elbows. A backrest about half that wide may have worked better.

I swear by mine, but I don't use it!
Nah, I use an Ahead Spinal Glide with backrest.
I love the throne. Rarely do I use the backrest, but I like it there.
It's good to gauge my sitting position while practicing, it's good for posture because if I can feel it I sit up straighter so I can't.
I think it's been very good for me, but I literally try not to use it.
It's only when doing double bass stuff that I really nestle my body into it but in those cases o think it helps.

Basically, I don't think it will hurt you to have one, I'm not entirely certain of the extent of benefits mine brings me but whenever I notice that it's there it is improving my posture.

I have a Tama 1st Chair round throne with a backrest. I used it for a while, but it has been sitting collecting dust for many years now. I realized that all I needed was the occasional reminder not to slouch over the drums. I positioned the back rest so that as long as I was sitting completely upright, the back rest was lightly touching my back. If at any point during a performance I didn’t feel the back rest touching my back, I was slouching and I would mentally yell at myself to “sit up straight dummy!”. It worked. Over time I was able to “self regulate” my posture to a certain extent. Carrying that thing around was a major PIA. I’m all for heavy thrones and saving weight elsewhere, but yikes. Yes, the back comes off, but attaching it before every performance was time consuming.

I have a Roc-n-Soc w/backrest and wouldn't be without it but I do not gig any more so I don't have to hassle with that.

Thinking about getting a back rest for my Tama Wide Rider throne. I'm a small guy playing a big (size) kit and have been feeling lately like I'm playing at the drums rather than on them. I had also been experiencing a bit of strain in my back after longer periods of playing. So tonight, I set up the kit so my back was against the wall with a rolled up towel supporting my lower back, and it felt pretty good! Obviously just a test but was enough to make me think about buying one. Does anyone use one? Or not use one, and why?

Also would like to know if the Tama add-on rest is decent, or whether I should look at getting a new throne altogether. It will probably be something I have to mail order so won't really get to try it out in a store.
I have the Tama First Chair throne, and added the backrest later. Works great, very adjustable. I'm rarely on the rest when playing though, I just like having it to lounge onto between things, when flipping through books, computer, etc. The shock absorber seat post is a great feature of that throne.

Back