Who uses 13" hats?

lefty2

Platinum Member
A friend has some Sabian HH bright hats that I can try out and buy if I like them.

iCe

Silver Member
My main hats are 14" New Beats and i have the 13" on my x-hat for many years. Did occasionally swap them, but i prefer the sound of the 14" as main hats. The 13" do make excellent x-hats though, they cut through and the closed sound i much more prefer of the 14". But when i open them they have (obviously) a higher pitch and that's not my thing :)

fobz

I use them in my teaching setup. They sound great, very controlled 👍

classikdrummr

I have Zildjian 14 new beats and hollow logo era 15 rock hats and have been thinking about a pair of 13s also. They might be useful in my country band due to their quick response while playing a country shuffle. 13s were a pretty big trend in the 90s it seems like, are they still popular in certain genres?
i have 13" Paiste Signature Hats that sound great closed or for accents but sound awful open. Good for Jazz or Funk but not Metal IMO. I prefer 14" 2002 Soundedge for versatility. They sound awesome open or closed and great for accents. Winner IMO

Stroman

Platinum Member
Here is a recording of the Sabian 13" AAs I have. Plz forgive the video quality.

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
I can't do 13" hats or snares. To me they are too toy-like.

I don't mind hearing them but I'll pass playing on them.
Larry Larry Larry!...sit down here young man and listen to Gus the fireman here a minute. I was the same way..very very few 13" snares have ever turned my head..to auxiliary sounding for me but when you hear (if) you hear thee one you are going to think you saw god...i think. It happened to me and 15 years later I'm STILL shaking my head in disbelief. I've also heard some 13 hats where I thought screw these 14's. Maybe I'm just a lover of munchkin gear but I've done a 360 from my Bonham days. To bad you don't live down the street from me or I'd set up a kool-aid stand out in front of your house and set up a stand with my 13 having you peek out your front door yelling hey!...what in thee H.E.double L is that snare! your playing..its incredible!. I'd laugh saying sorry Larry it's a 13.. 😃.

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
Larry Larry Larry!...sit down here young man and listen to Gus the fireman here a minute. I was the same way..very very few 13" snares have ever turned my head..to auxiliary sounding for me but when you hear (if) you hear thee one you are going to think you saw god...i think. It happened to me and 15 years later I'm STILL shaking my head in disbelief. I've also heard some 13 hats where I thought screw these 14's. Maybe I'm just a lover of munchkin gear but I've done a 360 from my Bonham days. To bad you don't live down the street from me or I'd set up a kool-aid stand out in front of your house and set up a stand with my 13 having you peek out your front door yelling hey!...what in thee H.E.double L is that snare! your playing..its incredible!. I'd laugh saying sorry Larry it's a 13.. 😃.
e!. I'd laugh saying sorry Larry it's a 13.. 😃.
I's the diameter not the sound. I can't get a good cross stick, my sticks fall off the snare.

bud7h4

Silver Member
For my aux hats I alternate between 13" A Custom and 14" K Custom Special Dry, depending on whether I'm using a bright or dark cymbal set.

Last edited:

lefty2

Platinum Member
I picked up the 13 hh brights today and I like them so far. I just played a few minutes then started watching Oklahoma Sooners. I'll gig with them tonight unmiced country gig and that will tell the tale.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I picked up the 13 hh brights today and I like them so far. I just played a few minutes then started watching Oklahoma Sooners. I'll gig with them tonight unmiced country gig and that will tell the tale.
Yes! Let us know how they do.

I don't have any recordings, but I used those Sabian AAs in a country band for a while. They worked just fine.

Have a good gig!

lefty2

Platinum Member
Well I used the Sabian bright hats tonight and I really like them. They're fairly bright but not harsh sounding and they don't have any trashyness in them like the HH 13s I heard online. A nice side note, they're autographed by Terry Bozio in 98 at a clinic that I attended.

Attachments

• 20221106_021506.jpg
    20221106_021506.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 5

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
Papa Jo Jones
used 13" hi hats almost always

13s are easier to do 'fans' and Tricks on

Tap-dance stuff
I think that's why he never went large'r
OK...i don't expect you to believe this..im listening to the solo and digging it immensely..i read no captions. I'm wishing I was Gregory Hines tapping to this groove and look up to read Tap dance stuff. It's the second time I've done this withoutout reading any captions. I'm beginning to think that I saw the caption but not consciously. Anyway..the solo was grooving down the tracks nicely. Great clip.

Grolubao

I don't own any since I don't find them versatile at all. The same applies for 16" ones. I'd say between 14 or 15 is the best