Who uses 13" hats?

lefty2

Platinum Member
I have Zildjian 14 new beats and hollow logo era 15 rock hats and have been thinking about a pair of 13s also. They might be useful in my country band due to their quick response while playing a country shuffle. 13s were a pretty big trend in the 90s it seems like, are they still popular in certain genres?

For quiet acoustic gigs I use a set of Istanbuls.

They are very thin and low pitched; not really characteristic of their size.

In the past used modern 13” K ‘s which were nice in terms of cut and articulation, but limited in terms of softer response and body.

Summary, it depends.

I had long ago a 13" K/ Custom K bottom; that bottom had the 4 notches ; very rare never see them again; I remember the half-open sound was amazing. The K Custom notched bottom was way nicer than the A,K/Z dyno beat combo (I tried those)

Today some 25 year later I'd look around...

I have a pair of 13" New Beats that I'm going to incorporate back into my kit again via a remote cable hat. I've had both sitting in storage for a few years so I may as well utilize them. I may even make them my main hats and put my 14"s on the remote.
I really don't know why I put them up because they sound great.

those I linked to are a Deal.. and here's what I had...

collector priced now +/-
hard to believe/ still out there

20210525_141518.jpg

819/1254g
..maybe if I hit that lottery ; )

the all-important 200g difference between top & bottom) it appears..w/ the K Hybrid..

not bad.. (good actually +/-

Never drawn towards these:

I had long ago a 13" K/ Custom K bottom; that bottom had the 4 notches ; very rare never see them again; I remember the half-open sound was amazing. The K Custom notched bottom was way nicer than the A,K/Z dyno beat combo (I tried those)

I remember the rezo series had slots just like that and I did that to one of my cymbals my self. I wonder if yours were a prototype K version or something.

the all-important 200g difference between top & bottom) it appears..w/ the K Hybrid..

not bad.. (good actually +/-

Never drawn towards these:
These sound nice.

Reactions: jda
I wonder if yours were a prototype K version or something.
no they were a little known catalog item (I have the catalog price list from then) As you see they are still found and around)
priced like old Ks) Custom K, Impulse, and another series had the notched bottom option.)

I'd chance those K Hybrid 13.25 for $160 at Reverb +/+ ..

Last edited:
I had a set of 13" New Beats until very recently. Great sounding cymbals but tiny compared to my 16" K Sweet hats.

I had a set of 13" New Beats until very recently. Great sounding cymbals but tiny compared to my 16" K Sweet hats.
Yeah 13 to 16 is a big difference.

Reactions: jda
I had a real nice k/z 13" pair that was also in the cymbal bag that got stolen among others years ago. Last year, I thought I saw it come up for sale because I remember the wear pattern but who knows.

that leaves the reverb Hybrids
I'm pretty sure I would not like the Zs they typically sound too harsh to my ears.
I see as my best bet choice recommendation today
The end.

Last edited:
There are some older Sabian AA 13s at my local store and I'm mostly wondering how many drummers are still using 13s. I haven't listened to them yet as I was in hurry when I noticed them.

at any one moment no way to canvas entirely who are using 13s. Go by your own instinct follow your own trend; drummers lead; owe it to yourself to give them - and anything everything pos$ible a try- at least once +/-
13s have been around since time immemorial. (lol

Back