Who invented the double pedal?

JimmyM

Silver Member
Billy Cobham was the first I ever saw using remote pedals with camshafts on his 3-bass drum set. Is he and Tama considered the first to pull it off?

harryconway

Platinum Member
Billy Cobham was the first I ever saw using remote pedals with camshafts on his 3-bass drum set. Is he and Tama considered the first to pull it off?
The Tama/Camco pedal debut at the 1981 NAMM show. There were a few double pedals before then. I have a Zalmer, and I've had a Sleishman ..... and they both go back to around 1974. But to do a remote drive shaft ..... yeah, I think the Tama/Camco pedal was the first.

Attachments

• zalmer twin 1973.jpg
    zalmer twin 1973.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 20
  • sleishman.jpg
    sleishman.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 21
  • tama camco double pedal.jpg
    tama camco double pedal.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 20

JimmyM

Silver Member
The Tama/Camco pedal debut at the 1981 NAMM show. There were a few double pedals before then. I have a Zalmer, and I've had a Sleishman ..... and they both go back to around 1974. But to do a remote drive shaft ..... yeah, I think the Tama/Camco pedal was the first.
Thx Harry...I'm really fascinated about drum history now that I am a drummer again...sort of. My double's a DW 5000 but I have a Tama single pedal that's most excellent, and I figured that Billy and Tama had a lot to do with what we're seeing with modern pedals. Didn't know Camco got in so early on it, though.

Thin Shell

Terry Bozzio claims he worked with someone in '76-'77 to develop a double pedal (DL Percussion?) and that guy came up with the U-joint idea. It looks remarkably like the first DW 5000 double pedal which only had one U joint and had a separate pedal casting with bent beater shaft for the second pedal.

"In ’76-’77 I asked a guy to build a practical double pedal for me out of my Camco strap pedals. He came up with the universal joint idea and took it to DW and after many further developments, the most popular double pedal in history was born! (I still have the prototype!)"

org_dbl_ped.jpg
org_dbl_ped2.jpg
org_dbl_ped3.jpg

https://terrybozzio.com/about-terry/inventions-prototypes/

harryconway

Platinum Member
Camco started in 1961. Ended 1977.

When Camco went under, Tama and DW bought out what was left. The original Camco pedal was a strap drive. Tama changed it to a sprocket and chain. But the footboard, uprights, and wire frame all remained pretty much original to the Camco design. On the foorboard was printed Camco by Tama. Great pedals. Still a joy to play. Tama also produced Camco by Tama drums. The round turret lug, with a small rectangular protrusion that the tension rod screwed into. And the shells had a cool pattern running around their midsection. I've also seen these lugs on some Royalstars.

Meanwhile DW (I've been told) started assembling kits from left over Camco shells. 6 ply shells. Later, Keller supplied them shells. With, and without reinforcement rings. Eventually, they started producing their own shells. I believe DW's first product, was a height adjustable canister throne. Then, the strap drive 5000 pedal (again, basically a Camco pedal), then, the improved pedal, with a sprocket and chain.

That 5000 pedal that you have ..... is what (I believe) put DW on the map. My first GOOD double pedal was a DW 5000. Lots of 80's hair metal drummers played Tama and Pearl kits ..... and DW pedals. DW was still a fledgling company, and it didn't have the juice to court every and any drummer in LA ..... but behind so many of those Tama and Pearl kits, were DW pedals. And slowly guys started checking out DW drums .... and so it grew.

Attachments

• camco original.jpg
    camco original.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 12
  • tama camco a.jpg
    tama camco a.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 12
  • tama camco b.jpg
    tama camco b.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 12

JimmyM

Silver Member
Terry Bozzio claims he worked with someone in '76-'77 to develop a double pedal (DL Percussion?) and that guy came up with the U-joint idea. It looks remarkably like the first DW 5000 double pedal which only had one U joint and had a separate pedal casting with bent beater shaft for the second pedal.

"In ’76-’77 I asked a guy to build a practical double pedal for me out of my Camco strap pedals. He came up with the universal joint idea and took it to DW and after many further developments, the most popular double pedal in history was born! (I still have the prototype!)"

org_dbl_ped.jpg
org_dbl_ped2.jpg
org_dbl_ped3.jpg

https://terrybozzio.com/about-terry/inventions-prototypes/
You know, I see that giant set Terry uses and it's crazy, but it's obvious how it got to that point now. Always loved his playing and his comedic stylings, even in Missing Persons.

So I see a pattern now...Tama and Billy had the idea for drive shafts, DW used sprockets and chains, Terry's friend had the u-joint idea, and Tama and Camco/DW joined forces to create it. And I see Harry said that was about the size of it. Very cool!

I've always judged drum sets on how cool they look as well as tones, but never heard of Camco till I got Loggins and Messina's double live album back in the day. Found out that jazz drummers loved them but I guess us rockers thought they were too delicate to rock out by and large. Always loved their lugs, though, and really glad that DW brought them back bigtime. Even the smaller ones on the DW Designs drums are cool as all getout. The lugs on my CB's...not so much :D but they work.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
You know, I see that giant set Terry uses and it's crazy, but it's obvious how it got to that point now. Always loved his playing and his comedic stylings, even in Missing Persons.

So I see a pattern now...Tama and Billy had the idea for drive shafts, DW used sprockets and chains, Terry's friend had the u-joint idea, and Tama and Camco/DW joined forces to create it. And I see Harry said that was about the size of it. Very cool!

I've always judged drum sets on how cool they look as well as tones, but never heard of Camco till I got Loggins and Messina's double live album back in the day. Found out that jazz drummers loved them but I guess us rockers thought they were too delicate to rock out by and large. Always loved their lugs, though, and really glad that DW brought them back bigtime. Even the smaller ones on the DW Designs drums are cool as all getout. The lugs on my CB's...not so much :D but they work.
Camco wasn’t just a jazz drum. Craig Krampf played them before he joined Rogers and pop artists like Redbone were on Camco. They were great drums that are still sought after today.

JimmyM

Silver Member
Camco wasn’t just a jazz drum. Craig Krampf played them before he joined Rogers and pop artists like Redbone were on Camco. They were great drums that are still sought after today.
We know that now thanks to DW, but Camco had really poor distribution back in the day and never really got their sets in stores in a big enough way that the general drum populace knew they weren't dainty little jazz drums with the round lugs that don't look like they were meant for the long haul with Bonham :D

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Double pedals as a concept goes back to the 1920's. Though there weren't very practical at the time, and never caught on.

I believe Harry is right the 1970's was the Zalmar first somewhat practical commercially available double pedal.

I don't think the concept of widespread acceptance and use of double pedals really happened until the DW double pedal was introduced.

JimmyM

Silver Member
Double pedals as a concept goes back to the 1920's. Though there weren't very practical at the time, and never caught on.

I believe Harry is right the 1970's was the Zalmar first somewhat practical commercially available double pedal.

I don't think the concept of widespread acceptance and use of double pedals really happened until the DW double pedal was introduced.
Without a doubt.

JimmyM

Silver Member
Unless you buy from DW. The second bass drum would cheaper
Dig this...when I first started reassembling my kit and asking if my drummer friends had cheap used gear they'd like to unload, a friend of mine just plain gave me a pretty early set of DW 5000 double pedals that he was given because he never used them anymore, didn't want to hassle with selling them, and was going to give them and a really nice Tama single pedal to Goodwill till he heard I was restarting drums. So yeah, way cheaper than a second bass drum for me!

Still have my doubts about using them onstage, but I'm working on them anyway because they're here and it would be a shame not to.