Which of these Hi-Hat stands?

MrWriter

I'm looking to get a better, upgraded, Hi-Hat stand to replace my budget Mapex model.

There are two reasons I want to change my cheap Mapex hat stand, first, the footboard on the Mapex is just too darn long for my liking. My heal rest not on the heel rest, but about an inch up the footboard. Just does not site right on my brain each time I look down and see an inch of footboard and a heel rest sticking out behind my left foot. Also, it feels a tad sluggish and could (possibly) be responsible for some of my quick open hats not sounding via my Roland VH-11 electronic hi-hat.

I think I've narrowed it down to either the Yamaha HS850 or the Tama Iron Cobra HH605. The Yamaha does not have an adjustable footboard angle setting, while the Tama does - though I'm not sure if I'd need it, but I like the idea of having this customisability.

So, question for you guys. Do you find that you adjust the footboard angle/height on your hi-hat stand? (if you have one) or is this not an issue for you?

Next, anybody had experience with the Yammy HS850 or Iron Cobra HH605 and can you give feedback re build quality, sturdiness and how springy and responsive they are?

I'm after a good build quality, study with a quick response, preferably with adjustable hight/angle of the footboard too. Oh, and I prefer double-braced with three legs.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Both are great stands. I personally prefer the Yamaha 700 series. It’s lighter and you give up zero functionality. Haven’t had the low end Mapex, but the Falcon HH stand and pedal for that matter were awesome!

I’ve played e-kits before including mid to high end Roland’s and the lack of HH response has zero to do with the pedal and everything to do with e-drums. As much as Roland would love to cancel me for saying this, their e-pedal version just seems far more responsive from a sound perspective than their higher end “traditional” hats.

With their rubber plates on a stand, you have to think about lifting your foot up about a week in advance, then hope the signal actually went through. The low end hats with the pad and remote pedal feel terrible, but the response is better.

Not trying to discourage your stand upgrade, but I’ve found most even cheap HH stands to work near perfect for acoustic plates, but when I was playing an e-kit at church, we had different kits in different rooms, I got more use from using my left foot to constantly mess with the guitarist pedalboard than I ever did with trying to manipulate the hats.

Have fun shopping for new goodies.

classikdrummr

I'm looking to get a better, upgraded, Hi-Hat stand to replace my budget Mapex model.

There are two reasons I want to change my cheap Mapex hat stand, first, the footboard on the Mapex is just too darn long for my liking. My heal rest not on the heel rest, but about an inch up the footboard. Just does not site right on my brain each time I look down and see an inch of footboard and a heel rest sticking out behind my left foot. Also, it feels a tad sluggish and could (possibly) be responsible for some of my quick open hats not sounding via my Roland VH-11 electronic hi-hat.

I think I've narrowed it down to either the Yamaha HS850 or the Tama Iron Cobra HH605. The Yamaha does not have an adjustable footboard angle setting, while the Tama does - though I'm not sure if I'd need it, but I like the idea of having this customisability.

So, question for you guys. Do you find that you adjust the footboard angle/height on your hi-hat stand? (if you have one) or is this not an issue for you?

Next, anybody had experience with the Yammy HS850 or Iron Cobra HH605 and can you give feedback re build quality, sturdiness and how springy and responsive they are?

I'm after a good build quality, study with a quick response, preferably with adjustable hight/angle of the footboard too. Oh, and I prefer double-braced with three legs.
i have the iron cobra 605 and i love it. durable and responsive for accents. But i know a few drummers who love Yamaha hardware, and i must admit they make super sturdy stands too. Go with the lower priced option in this case ,they are both excellent.

MrWriter

Yamaha 850 arrived, but I didn't like it as, for me personally, the angle of the footboard was a little too steep, feels like my left foot is walking up a steep hill. So I've returned it for a refund and have the HS1200 coming, £100 more, but has an adjustable footboard angle so I'm hoping it can be set to something a little lower and more comfortable.