Which Ludwig Snare should I get?

You can't go wrong with any of the Supraphonic variants. I have Supras (2 Ludalloy, 1 Brass), a hammered Copperphonic, a Bronze Supra , a Black Beauty, a Lacquered Brass (401), and 3 very different Acrolites. All sound great, but each has their own voice.

Hammering dries a drum out, taming some of the high overtones. On a Chrome over brass shell, the high pitched "ping" is controlled by the dimpling of the shell. Adding mass, as in Die Cast hoops, also have an controlling effect as well.

Attachments

• dude.jpeg
    dude.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Still have not pulled the trigger. A couple of questions. First, is there a tonal difference betweenI the standard SupraPhonic and the hammered version? Second, is buying a B-Stock snare a bad decision? Thanks!
The hammered version will be a bit more dry compared to a non-hammered Supra. B-stocks are great value. Usually the imperfection is fairly minor, often on the inside of the shell. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a B-stock Ludwig snare. You'll save a lot of money. The only difference you'll notice is that they usually have a different badge (B/O vs. keyston).

The regular 400 is the way to go. Get one used and save a bit of cash.

Along with the 402 they are the ultimate workhorse snares and fit into any genre. They do live and recorded brilliantly.

For your lineup, I'd consider a bronze (or a bronze Black Beauty). I assume your oak is bright as is your SL w/ steel. Bronze has warmth and darkness with metal, I've always enjoy the depth and throaty-ness you can get off a 5x14 even at med tuning. Acrolites are too cheap not to have one, versatile w/ character but you said you wanted something different, brass and aluminum are both on the brighter side comparatively.

I'm considering a Heirloom Brass too - or a NOS Brass Rocker. I've the aluminium side covered with a Premier drum. I wonder if the beaded shell of the Rocker will lead to a bit more durability in the long run? The un-beaded shell of my aluminium Premier drum is forming deformations around the lugs, and I've seen brass Gretsch drums do the same thing.

Still have not pulled the trigger. A couple of questions. First, is there a tonal difference between the standard SupraPhonic and the hammered version? Second, is buying a B-Stock snare a bad decision? Thanks!
There are some great deals to be had on B-stocks. Most people say they can't even find whatever flaw it supposedly has, so the biggest difference is it has the classic blue/olive badge instead of the keystone.
I prefer 6.5" deep snares, but you can't go wrong with the 5" (LM400) as it's regarded as the most-recorded snare in history.

So I finally made my decision and I ended up with the Black Beauty. Something kept telling me that you cannot go wrong with that snare. Yes, everyone was correct. The Black Beauty is such an improvement over my others, I cannot believe it. It even makes me play better. I ended up with the B-stock and has the Gold Badge. The batter head is a Ludwig "Heavy". Sounds great!

So I finally made my decision and I ended up with the Black Beauty. Something kept telling me that you cannot go wrong with that snare. Yes, everyone was correct. The Black Beauty is such an improvement over my others, I cannot believe it. It even makes me play better. I ended up with the B-stock and has the Gold Badge. The batter head is a Ludwig "Heavy". Sounds great!
You definitely can't go wrong with a BB. Good choice!

Has anyone compared a Supra COB with a BB? They are doing these re-issues now....seems like a way to get a BB sounds at quite a reduced price. Would find it hard to believe chrome vs. nickle would have significant sound difference.

Did you end up with an 8 or 10 lug version?

Has anyone compared a Supra COB with a BB? They are doing these re-issues now....seems like a way to get a BB sounds at quite a reduced price. Would find it hard to believe chrome vs. nickle would have significant sound difference.
I've played both, and the Black Beauty sounds different from the COB. To my ears the BB sounds a lot more pleasing; it still has that brassy quality but either the low end is boosted or the high end tamed a little, either way the BB sounds a bit more "solid."

I've owned a Black Beauty (recently) a few Supraphonics over the years. I like the Supraphonics better because they give me a drier sound. I found the brass to be a bit harsh with respect to overtones etc.

I've owned a Black Beauty (recently) a few Supraphonics over the years. I like the Supraphonics better because they give me a drier sound. I found the brass to be a bit harsh with respect to overtones etc.
That's why I went for the hammered BB :) With a Coated Ambassador.......perfection :) (I also have a Supra as well) :)

I've played both, and the Black Beauty sounds different from the COB. To my ears the BB sounds a lot more pleasing; it still has that brassy quality but either the low end is boosted or the high end tamed a little, either way the BB sounds a bit more "solid."
I caught this video, they sound alot less alike than I expected...quite a bit different. I believe the original COBs had brass (chrome plated) hoops while the re-issues have steel, not sure what the influence would be.

Currently, I have my Japanese Oak Custom Snare and a 6.5x14 Ludwig SupraLite. I am going to step it up and purchase a really nice Ludwig snare. I wanted your opinions of what I should get? I am looking at the 5x14 Supraphonic, 5x14 Black Beauty, or the Acrolite. I realize the Black Beauty is regarded as one of the best, but I really want something that is different from what I have, but versatile for all types of music. I mostly play rock and no jazz. What should I go for. I don't need anything fancy like the hand-hammered versions. Just the standard design.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I am still trying to decide. I think I am leaning more toward Ludwig or DW's. Then the question is do I go Classic Maple or Legacy? Is the MOD Kick Drum the standard kick that these sets come with? I want the standard Ludwig set, standard sizes, and shell designs.

Back