Which kit really sounds like THIS ?

arjen

I now use a Tama Silverstar 4-tom set with Zildjian K and Paiste PST cymbals and it's pretty decent. But as a rock drummer I'm looking for a kind of sound that I do hear in YouTube videos and on records and seldomly live, but that's always with audio editing or distortions. The kits I can play in shops, rehearsal rooms (including the Tama Starclassic) etc. generally don't sound like that in real life. And what I search is hard to describe with words. So here's a vid from Tama - I'm looking for a shell set of which bass and toms sound in reality (unaltered) like this:

The snare I will probably buy seperately. Which kit would you suggest? And what other measures to take regarding shell sizes, head types, yes or no dampening etc.

Problem is also that my favorite drummers tend to have custom gear, like Alex van Halen and Nicko McBrain.

Thanks for any feedback!

Problem is also that my favorite drummers tend to have custom gear, like Alex van Halen and Nicko McBrain.

They also have sound guys, drum techs, microphones, compression, blah blah blah. If you figure out how to make an acoustic kit sound processed without processing it, you win.

I'm sure that video has been processed somehow. I see microphones.

You should be able to get ANY set of drums to sound like that with the right heads and the right sized concrete room.

@ Toddbiship, thanks for the hints. In the 1980s I had these single-ply transparent Remo heads but I don't remember the type. Used them on top to make a Pearl Export sound decent. I'll also try a pair of 5B, have been using 5A for long now. I used to play metal with 2B in my young days, won't go back to that but little heavier than 5A might work.

@ notvinnie, which heads are you thinking of?

What you're looking for doesn't exist, at least not without computers or an industrial warehouse to record in.

Any fantastic sounding drums you hear on a record or on Youtube...it's most likely fake. If it sounds "unreal", then it most likely IS unreal. It's been heavily edited or EQ'd, sound-replaced, rhythmically photoshopped, etc. In the video, the crazy sound is coming from the venue itself. But most of us don't have an aircraft hanger to play in.

Very rarely are you hearing the real drums as they actually sound. That's just a sad reality we live in today.

EDIT: I agree with @toddbishop . Get some clear Emperors or Pinstripes. He's probably using Emperors in the video.

Getting red fluorescent lights should help get the sound you're looking for.

In all seriousness mic's don't "hear" like our ears do, so recorded/mic'd drums don't sound like live drums. Once you disregard the sound of the room, the EQ/FX/processing your kit may have that tone in your current kit. You just have to figure out how to "shape" their tone to get that sound.

I don't even know why Tama would release a promo video of a kit that sounds so obviously over-processed. NO drums sound like that without a shit ton of EQ, compression, reverb, etc.* Not to mention, I think the drums in this video sound like crap. I would hate for my kit to sound like that.

*Or, conversely, recorded in some ridiculously overly reverby space.

Here is how the drums you posted actually sound.

Clearly, the drums in the first video have some eq, processing, compression, etc... on them. If you want that sound..naturally...I think you are going to be out of luck.

Which isn't bad either :) ; Though the 10" does bother me a little on the SW vid.

Last edited:
My Rogers kit sounded like that....once. Plain old coated Ambassadors, no processing, no mics, no sound man.

I *was* playing in a huge gymnasium though.

lol

(Totally agree with the “why would Tama even post this?” sentiments)

I don't even know why Tama would release a promo video of a kit that sounds so obviously over-processed. NO drums sound like that without a shit ton of EQ, compression, reverb, etc.* Not to mention, I think the drums in this video sound like crap. I would hate for my kit to sound like that.

*Or, conversely, recorded in some ridiculously overly reverby space.

Totally agree. When I'm shopping for drums or cymbals and I come across an ad like that I won't even bother watching it. This one in particular is overdone. I wouldn't even want that sound on an album or live. Shame, because those Tamas actually sound amazing.
With enough effects you can make an entry level kit sound like that.

Even with basic micing (overheads and room mics) it's going to sound way more pleasant than what you hear with just your ears. After playing with headphones and overheads, when I listen to the raw drums they sound horrible. It takes me a few minutes for my ears (or brain) to adjust and accept the raw sound as "good".

Last edited:
if you want a kit that sounds like that kit, buy that exact model of kit, add a lot of high end mics, and add a lot of processing and EQ'ing. plus to get that kit sound you'll need to record in a REALLY resonant room and use a good few room mics and overhead mics.

If you practice with hearing protection, the drums will sound to you like they do in the audience.

So here's a vid from Tama - I'm looking for a shell set of which bass and toms sound in reality (unaltered) like this:

When you see a video, and there's a port in the BD head with a mic in it, it is not possible for the sound produced by the mic to match the ambient sound of the drum. You're basically hearing a highly isolated version of a BD with the front/reso head taken off.

If you favor that sound, you might be interested in what the Yamaha EAD10 offers.

If you favor that sound, you might be interested in what the Yamaha EAD10
Not a bad idea if it can be returned after a trial period.

To the OP: reach out to Tama USA and tell em you want that sound, and what kit & heads were used.

Hoshino USA Inc.
ADDRESS :
1726 Winchester Rd, Bensalem, Pa. 19020
PHONE :
215-638-8670
FAX :
215-245-8583
MAIL :
[email protected]

Back