Where to find drum samples

Online of course, and you might also search ebay for sample libraries on CD (make sure they're not brand specific proprietary formats such as Akai.) But you can also grab your own samples from extended & remixes of songs, and lots of classics & oldies have drum hits and fills 'in the clear' that you can nab.

freesound.org

All of the above.
However where I find problems is e.g., I search hihat samples. Great, within a few moments I can have some 50 million samples.
Each one is of a different hihat! Where are the packs of the same hat, open, closed, splashed, stomped, bell'd, rimmed etc etc...

I have two packages of free samples, made from my own drums, some going back to 1980's recording sessions, some recorded a few months ago.
and

I know this isn't free but what about the ezdrummer library? They've got a bunch of options and you know they are high quality and reliable. You can also go the opposite end and get something like the pocket operator KO and just make your own samples... Or the pocket operator office! Get nuts with it, sample anything. Don't look at your ekit solely as a drum set alternative but it's own unique instrument. You can have good drum sounds and weird electronic sounds. After two decades of being a 'rock' drummer (for conversation sake) in mostly live original bands I've been recently exploring worlds I never have before with electronic percussion devices after picking up two ekits and a new drum machine.

Last edited:
Back